Tennessee has no Rival

Bring back the Beer barrel!

Yeah, I was going to say if only we had something like a barrel in the basement of Neyland that we could roll out and dust off. ... As long as Neids didn't run off with it.

ae09cc_ab31733aabd4429ead8f4239ce0af024~mv2.jpg

Where is the Tennessee-Kentucky Beer Barrel?

Reactions: Sarms58
We have teams that share dislike for each other, but if you ask Alabama they will say Auburn, Florida will say Florida State. Wonder if we will ever start a series with someone who could become our rivals one day and play that game for a trophy or something. Who are your ideas for the team that would spark a rivalry with UT?
All the Bama guys I know pissed themselves when we won. They still smell!!

Alabama first Vanderbilt second and a lot of meaningful games Florida Auburn etc. At least this is the way I’ve seen since the 60’s anyways . Losing and winning these games throughout the years past you understand the value of the games.

We have teams that share dislike for each other, but if you ask Alabama they will say Auburn, Florida will say Florida State. Wonder if we will ever start a series with someone who could become our rivals one day and play that game for a trophy or something. Who are your ideas for the team that would spark a rivalry with UT?
Disagree we have multiple
Bama- 3rd week in October is one of the best long standing rivalries in college football
Florida- East foe -90's nostalgic
Kentucky- border state - more of a rival on their end based of not winning

And Florida is the opposite; too many damn rivals to count, which adds to why UF is so hated. Florida even has rivals they don’t play regularly anymore. No fan bases hate one another more than FL - Miami. Now we’ve got UCF who thinks they’re a rival. Then you add in the real rivals: FSU, Georgia, LSU, TN. And these days KY and SC will swear they too are our rivals. Auburn used to be a massive rival before the SEC expanded and split up into Divisions.

Makes for numerous fun games but also somewhat exhausting.

And Florida is the opposite; too many damn rivals to count, which adds to why UF is so hated. Florida even has rivals they don’t play regularly anymore. No fan bases hate one another more than FL - Miami. Now we’ve got UCF who thinks they’re a rival. Then you add in the real rivals: FSU, Georgia, LSU, TN. And these days KY and SC will swear they too are our rivals. Auburn used to be a massive rival before the SEC expanded and split up into Divisions.

Makes for numerous fun games but also somewhat exhausting.

You’re right about UF-Miami. That rivalry is downright dangerous.

Reactions: Jaws
Historically speaking, it’d be Bama, Kentucky and Vanderbilt by far. Those are who our 3 permanent rivals would be in the new SEC format, if I had to guess. I hate UF, but I hate playing them, honestly. If we had the choice to stop playing them every year, I’d love it. It isn’t really our putrid record against them, because I’d never give up Bama. I just hate traveling to Gainesville and I hate North Florida. I’m moving back to Nashville within the next 10 days, so if Bama, UK and Vandy were our permanent opponents, 75% of UT’s games at a minimum would be within a 3 hour drive for me.

Last edited:
Bama is our biggest rival. Used to be Florida. Bama before that, too.
We are Vandy's biggest rival.
We are UK's biggest rival.

Bama's biggest rival is AUB for the young, and UT for the more experienced.
I think we made it a BIG rivalry again.
Alabama is going to want to really pay us back next year if we beat them in tater town then the Rivalry will really be back.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Historically speaking, it’d be Bama, Kentucky and Vanderbilt by far. Those are who our 3 permanent rivals would be in the new SEC format, if I had to guess. I hate UF, but I hate playing them, honestly. If we had the choice to stop playing them every year, I’d love it. It isn’t really our putrid record against them, because I’d never give up Bama. I just hate traveling to Gainesville and I hate North Florida. I’m moving back to Nashville within the next 10 days, so if Bama, UK and Vandy were our permanent opponents, 75% of UT’s games at a minimum would be within a 3 hour drive for me.
Under no circumstance would I be ok with trading Florida for UK or Vandy

Reactions: LadyVolette
UF USCe UK Vandy are teams that literally waste any and methods to beat UT . Heck USCe lost to UF bad because they didnt even prep for UF . UF gives UT the best game they play all year . Bama hates UT to the core but UGA has all the marbles right now

If you ask most Alabama fans, they’ll let you know “Hate Auburn because you have to, hate Tennessee because you want to." It’s literally their slogan for the 3rd Saturday in October.

Also, if you ask most of their fans, Florida would say Georgia.

I guess it depends on how you want to define “rival”. It can include everyone on your schedule or it could mean the one team you want to beat because that game defines your season as successful or not (like Army vs Navy).

I guess it depends on how you want to define “rival”. It can include everyone on your schedule or it could mean the one team you want to beat because that game defines your season as successful or not (like Army vs Navy).
I don’t want to be just known as a „rival“ for all these teams. I want to graduate to „nemesis“
76D8889E-DA13-4AA9-A178-5B352457FF2C.gif

Can't you have more than one rival?

Auburn and Georgia are definitely rivals. Florida and Georgia are rivals as well. Ditto for Alabama and Tennessee. When both teams are good, Bama and Tennessee is as intense a rivalry as there is.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Under no circumstance would I be ok with trading Florida for UK or Vandy
Trade?

Bama, UK and Vandy were there long before UF and will be there long after. Tennessee traded Barn and Old Miss for UGA and UF when the conference split into two divisions. UK, Bama, and Vandy have been there forever.

Tennessee has been playing Vandy annually since 1900, Bama since 1928, and UK since 1906. We only started playing UF annually in 1990 and UGA in 1992.

Bama, Vandy, and UK are our traditional rivals. We've played UF annually nearly the same amount of time we did Barn and not even remotely as long as we did Ole Miss.

Playing every SEC team every other year, Tennessee isn't losing the UF/UGA rivalries, it's getting Auburn/Ole Miss back.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I think we all are utilizing a different definition of the word Rival. We have series that are heated, but no stone cold, extreme nemesis that some teams have. Michigan/Ohio State, Alabama/Auburn, Oregan/Oregan St, Florida/Florida State, Texas/Oklahoma are some examples.

Reactions: Raebo

VN Store

Back