Tennessee has no Rival

northknoxvol

Senior Member (BFL)
We have teams that share dislike for each other, but if you ask Alabama they will say Auburn, Florida will say Florida State. Wonder if we will ever start a series with someone who could become our rivals one day and play that game for a trophy or something. Who are your ideas for the team that would spark a rivalry with UT?

Reactions: Raebo
We have teams that share dislike for each other, but if you ask Alabama they will say Auburn, Florida will say Florida State. Wonder if we will ever start a series with someone who could become our rivals one day and play that game for a trophy or something. Who are your ideas for the team that would spark a rivalry with UT?
After last season, I think the Vols are back on Bama's radar.

I know many disagree but if you asked me who is Tennessee's top rival, I would point to Kentucky. Vanderbilt is probably #2 but Vandy really gets hurt by the fact they are NEVER good.

Kentucky struggles as well in Football but if you think all sports, they would be our top rival.

Alabama is probably our #2 in football and that works because we are their #2 after Auburn.

With Kentucky, we are their #1 most hated SEC opponent but they have Louisville.

UT is UK’s biggest (only?) rival. Id say they are UT’s as well. Most games played against of any opponent.

It isn't even just that Vanderbilt is bad, I think another issue that keeps them from being our #1 rival is their lack of a major fanbase (and I think that also ties into why they are bad).

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Have you seen our record against them in recent years?

Losing to a team because we are "bad" doesn't build a rivalry. If Vanderbilt was winning 8-9 games and beating Tennessee regularly during that period when Tennessee was decent, it would be considered more of a rivalry. The fact that it is just an embarrassment that we lost to them shows it isn't that big of a rivalry.

Also Tennessee hasn't lost to Vanderbilt since 2018. That is 4 straight wins.

UK and Louisville have not played much historically in football. I dont think that’s a huge rivalry due to that.

It is mixed because it is also hurt by the fact they are not in the same conference. However, I think most UK fans would claim Louisville over Tennessee as most hated rivalry but I definitely think we are UK's top SEC rival.

Reactions: esarmstrong
If you ask real Bama fans, not the fans of the last 15 years. You will find that most of them have a hatred for UT more than Auburn. Bama and UT are most definitely rivals. But in State “rivals” would be Vandy or Memphis if they was any good in football. Basketball on the other hand it’s Memphis. Memphis State and UT have a strong dislike between them in basketball.

Some Bama fans put UT on par with Auburn. Vandy and UK fans would like to consider UT their Rival.

VN Store

Back