Tennessee Had 8 Returning Players This Year

Which returning players have gotten better from last year?

• Total voters

Catbone

Hit me baby one more time
Can you name me players that have improved from last year? Are there any? Why is there not any sort of development like we saw from Grant and Admiral?

I think JJJ has improved his shot and Nkamhoua has become more assertive in his minutes. Maybe even could say Vescovi has improved defensively. Minor improvements, but I think that likely speaks to the lack of overall improvement.

It's all been disappointing, but I wonder how much the absence of an offseason has played a role in that?

I think JJJ has improved his shot and Nkamhoua has become more assertive in his minutes. Maybe even could say Vescovi has improved defensively. Minor improvements, but I think that likely speaks to the lack of overall improvement.

It's all been disappointing, but I wonder how much the absence of an offseason has played a role in that?

Those are also my 2 picks, but just barely noticable. I just don't buy the off-season covid stuff. Only because we weren't the only ones dealing with it. Also does not explain the regression. I get the feeling this team has no leader, chemistry, or drive.

Those are also my 2 picks, but just barely noticable. I just don't buy the off-season covid stuff. Only because we weren't the only ones dealing with it. Also does not explain the regression. I get the feeling this team has no leader, chemistry, or drive.
Those are all true things, as well, but the idea that Covid affected everyone means that it also affected us, as well. We can't use it as a crutch as if it only affected us relative to other teams, but we aren't making a comparative statement on its affect on Tennessee vs anyone else. Just stating that we haven't seen development of our own players perhaps because they weren't allowed to work individually with the coaches during the offseason and it is being manifested in what seems to be a lsck of development and/or regression in their skillsets.

Reactions: ArdentVol and Hbg
An atypical year to judge but:
Gaines, Plavsic and Pember - all have no basis to judge as they haven’t played much.
Fulkerson - his regression offensively is pronounced. Almost a completely different player. Defensively he has gotten used repeatedly on switches. He head isn’t right.
Pons - three pt shooting is down, but basically the same player. The fact that he only has 28 FT attempts in 21 games is telling. He doesn’t use his athletic ability on the offensive end and while he is a good shot blocker, he often makes bad decisions going for weak side block and loses defensive rebounding position. Sometimes he looks disinterested.
Vescovi - offensively he is the same player. I do think he is a better defensive player than he was last year and rebounds pretty well for a guard. Folks complain about his turnovers but his rate is significantly better than it was last year. So marginally better overall.
Nkamhoua - again somewhat difficult to judge due to lack of minutes. He has shown some flashes but his rebounding has been inadequate when on the court. Maybe marginally better but arguable. I think Barnes has mismanaged his minutes especially given how poorly Fulkerson has played.
James - also has reduced his turnover rate pretty significantly. Better defender and rebounder than he was last year. Before injury he looked like a more confident perimeter shooter. Overall, we should have seen a bigger difference in his level of play and his consistency but that hasn’t occurred which is disappointing.

So have not seen any significant improvement in anyone and even the marginal improvement which may have occurred has been severely mitigated by Fulkerson’s lack of productivity. Fulkerson playing well makes others play better as when he is a threat it opens up the floor. It just isn’t happening right now.

But to be fair, Springer and Johnson are playing better now than they did earlier in the year especially as more responsibility has shifted to them.

You would think Plavsic would get some playing time for rim protection and rebounding. I know his skills are limited but he can clog things up. Plus he has the most enthusiasm of the lot.

Reactions: Volle
Lots of normally good teams are struggling this year. Some perennial contenders are struggling much worse than us. Sorry, but the covid has had an effect. It absolutely explains some regression.

The consensus vote is ON the most improved and fulkerson the most regression, riddle me this, why in the world does ON rarely see the floor? His and fulkerson mins should be flipped

Can you name me players that have improved from last year? Are there any? Why is there not any sort of development like we saw from Grant and Admiral?
We have literally reverted backwards as the season progressed. 1or 2 bright spots but very few.

Lotsa frustration w this group. Here are my top 5 reasons ...

#1 Many have forgotten that last year's team didn't come close to sniffing the tourney. That was our starting point. It's a loooong way from there to a Final Four
#2 The goo goo eyed star gazing blinded us from the fact that we lost 2 heavily seasoned guards and replaced them w rookies. Sure the two 5*s have huge ceilings, but we'll never see them get there in TBA.
#3 This team has no floor leader. None of our players enforce winning on the floor. Keon or Jaden may become that ... but they'll be long gone before they do.
#4 Fulky ain't right. Whatever is going on, he cannot compete where he was. He looks almost anemic. After Chris' Lofton's SR season I never assume anything.
#5 Anosiki.seems like a fabulous kid. But, he's not SEC ready at position of major need. ORN has barely developed.

Really, it's only ON. Sadly, his minutes are limited so Fulky can get his 4 points

Can't believe some said JJJ. He's been mostly a non factor most games. I'm Sure some will make up an excuse for him

Stop using Covid as an excuse !!

You would think Plavsic would get some playing time for rim protection and rebounding. I know his skills are limited but he can clog things up. Plus he has the most enthusiasm of the lot.
Except he stinks at both. He is easily out positioned on both ends of the floor. Doesn’t use his lower body well at all.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I think Springer and Johnson feel like they have to force shots due to the rest of the team consistently turning down shots. There have been several shots the last 5-6 games where I am wondering why they even forced the shot. I understand why they do it to a degree but wish they would play more within the scheme. How many time has Springer got under the basket with a few guys around him and he still threw it up. I don't understand why Barnes isn't sitting guys when they turn down open shots, repeating the same thing game in and game out hasn't helped so give them some bench time to figure it out.

I have JJJ improving, but he still disappears too often. ON has improved throughout the year, he deserves more of Fulkersons minutes right now, but he’s still a poor rebounder for his size.

Pons and Vescovi have stayed pretty much the same IMO, Vescovi may have improved some defensively.

Fulkerson has had a major regression this year, he’s a completely different player and I don’t know if it was covid, injuries, both or something else. Either way its really hurt us. Gaines has regressed too IMO, the only thing he offers at all is hustle. On the offensive end it looks like he’s never played basketball before.

Pember and Uros, I don’t think we’ve seen enough to determine if they’ve gotten better or worse.

it’s surprising to see how poorly they are playing since we have tried to open up the offense. Hopefully they will find the right balance this week and recover their legs. They seem very lethargic.

Last edited:
Really, it's only ON. Sadly, his minutes are limited so Fulky can get his 4 points

Can't believe some said JJJ. He's been mostly a non factor most games. I'm Sure some will make up an excuse for him

Stop using Covid as an excuse !!
That wasn't true of JJJ before the injury, though. Over the first 10 games of the season, I'd argue he was our most valuable player. He's tailed off, recently, especially since coming back from the injury, but prior to that injury, which occurred against Kansas, I believe, he had absolutely improved, especially his outside shot.

Reactions: The Dog
Santi has gotten marginally better, slightly more efficient, he's just taking less shots than last year so overall scoring is down. Cut down TOs almost in half, and better overall AST/TO ratio. ON has been better in spurts. He really just needed to be far more aggressive when he gets into the lane, and he's done that the last several games in limited minutes. JJJ was doing really well in his role until his wrist injury, which is clearly affecting his shot right now.

Right now we need to look at who we need moving forward. There's a ton of scholarships that are being spent pointlessly right now. After at least 2 years in the program if you've done nothing to earn minutes, time to move on from you. We have a full raft of players, no significant injuries really and no depth at all because we have multiple people who aren't P5 guys on scholarship.

VN Store

Back