Tennessee Football | Welcome Back

I have never heard the full story, but I actually suspect that being The Voice of The Vols was the job that Mike coveted and was waiting for. IIRC, as soon as, or not very long after Bob Kesling was given the job, Mike left Knoxville radio and became the voice of the Titans. I sure miss him around here on the radio. His tireless efforts during recruiting season were epic.

Well, they certainly missed on that. Absolutely, hate hearing Bob Kesling calling the game on radio. Would rather hear the TV announcers than that. Miss John Ward.

Reactions: Type Orange+
Well done video! Don't know about everyone else, but I'm looking forward to seeing "power of Vols" videos showing more than a couple of Juan Jennings catches in present day, and not all "back in the day" clips.

From what I've heard, Vols had a chance to have him but chose Kesling instead.

Mike Keith is the best in the business though. Hope he never leaves the Titans.
What a bad choice. Mike Keith would be awesome. Can you imagine 2 hall of fame announcers back to back with John Ward and Mike Keith.

What a bad choice. Mike Keith would be awesome. Can you imagine 2 hall of fame announcers back to back with John Ward and Mike Keith.

I suspect that John Ward himself may have had more to do with Bob Kesling's hiring as the Voice of the Vols than anyone else.

Kesling has a long association with the University of Tennessee, first as a football player and then in the sports broadcasting side. Anyone who followed a much loved legend such as John Ward would've seemed subpar by comparison.

Kesling began his association with the University of Tennessee as a walk-on fullback on the 1972 freshman football team. His broadcasting career began in 1974 when he was hired by John Ward as a film editor for the "Bill Battle Show" on the Vol Television Network while he was a student at the University of Tennessee.

In 1976, Kesling was hired by John Ward to serve as his spotter for Vol Network radio broadcasts. He sat beside the legendary "Voice of the Vols" for 15 seasons in the Vol Network booth spotting and handling pre-game, halftime and post-game interviews.

Kesling also has a long history with the Lady Vol basketball team. He served as the radio play-by-play voice from 1978 through 1999 - calling Pat Summitt's first 6 NCAA National Championships.

Vol Network Personnel

Last edited:
I wish Mike Keith would leave the Titans, judo chop Kesling and take over as the voice of the Vols.
I agree, I would love to have him calling plays. Nothing pumps me up like hearing Mike say SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK

I like the background music in this video. Finally found it this week. There's an instrumental version as well of it ,if you prefer.

I feel kind of Indifferent about spring football.........I LIED!!!

anigif_enhanced-31409-1462836691-7.gif

Last edited:
Love being part of this passionate fan base. I feel it every Saturday when I get with my family for the game! Go Vols baby!

I saw the thread and video title, and thought for a moment that we might see Pruitt in a Gabe Kaplan-esque wig and mustache getup. Thankfully I was wrong...that was a good video.

This dude lives 5 houses down from me. Retired army. He is ready. Every week he puts the tag of our opponent (ETSU) under Smokey’s legs for him to pee on. Actually has it rigged to where water shoots out from under Smokey’s leg.
His truck says Navy.

VN Store

Back