Tennessee football didn't make the Top 25. But it would beat these 4 ranked teams

I'm surprised the writer could only come up with four teams among the Top 25 that we will (or would) beat this year. I mean, I came up with eight without even looking too long.

To his four (Houston, Wake Forest, Kentucky, Pitt), you can add North Carolina State, Michigan State, Miami, and Cincy. And probably BYU, if you need a ninth.

Yah, the writer didn't reach very far at all.

Does the AP have any bearing on who plays in CFP? or bowls? if not, IDGAD
Yes. It absolutely does. All the above.

Let it play out.

AP Poll is motivation to prove they're better at Rocky Top to some degree.

UT was ranked #25 in the 2020 AP preseason poll.

They'll be ranked after week 1 and certainly if they beat Pitt in week 2.

Reactions: Sarms58
I'm surprised the writer could only come up with four teams among the Top 25 that we will (or would) beat this year. I mean, I came up with eight without even looking too long.

To his four (Houston, Wake Forest, Kentucky, Pitt), you can add North Carolina State, Michigan State, Miami, and Cincy. And probably BYU, if you need a ninth.

Agree. I would add Ole Miss this year too.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
It will all take care of itself if we take care of business. We play 4 teams ranked in the preseason poll and a couple more that could end up the season ranked IMO. So how we do in those six games (assuming we easily win the other six with plenty of style points) will determine where we end up in the rankings.

Why should anyone GAS about preseason rankings? Heck, I'm glad we aren't ranked. It will just make our team hungrier.
1) I agree it shouldn't matter. Honestly, I don't think they should rank anyone until after week 4.

BUT

AP Poll Preseason rankings are the "starting point" for all future rankings, and has an impact on the narrative going forward. Example - Notre Dame is NOT a top 5 team, come on... but they're ranked #5.... They play OSU in week 1. When it comes time for the CFB committee to meet and make selections, guess what - OSU will have a top 5 win on their resume.

Am I the only one not remotely worried about Pitt?

Nope...they are capable of beating us. They return 15 starters and added a few key transfers - most notably at QB where they picked up a former 4-star kid who threw 30 TDS at USC as a true freshman. We will have to play a good game and avoid the mistakes we made last year. Our 3 turnovers last year combined with our inability to run against their D (and Joe Milton's inability to hit open receivers) cost us a game we could have won.

I'm cautiously optimistic - it's a game we must win if we are going to be a top 20 team. If we play up to our potential, I think we win but a subpar performance and we will lose.

Hmmm, I thought it was the committee, but you are right. UT holds its own destiny; just keep winning.

Tennessee will be ranked in week 2 unless somehow week 1 goes horribly wrong. There will be a Tennessee vs Pitt top 25 match-up.

UT would beat a plethora of the top 25 in my opinion. I tend to have a bit of orange on my glasses though! I can’t wait for them to show us how good they are this season!!!

Reactions: feathersax

NC State? They’re underrated if anything

VN Store

Back