Tennessee Drops to 8th in AP Poll

We are on a two line in bracket now. If we lay an egg in sec tourney we will drop to three. We can and must do better.

The bad loss I was referring to was the L at Kentucky. The other ones arent bad in my opinion.

Our best final rankings are 8th under Ray Mears and 5th under Bruce Pearl. We could beat that and of course if we win NCAA’s we would be 1

Can we calm the hell down please? First of all, we should all know that the pollsters usually give the benefit of a doubt to the blue blooded teams (Kentucky, Duke, Michigan State). Second, if we didn't get complacent in the second half against Auburn in a very winnable game, we wouldn't be having this thread right now.

Plus, with the conference and NCAA Tournament around the corner, Top Ten rankings don't mean Jack as much as seedings in the Tournament. We need to focus on the SEC Tournament and try to win the whole damn thing to secure us that coveted number one seed. That's what truly does matter now.

Reactions: 08Vol and Lurker
Anyone who has been following the polls and how the writers vote each week knew this was inevitable. We have no one to blame. Play our game at Auburn we co champs still #1 seed and Barnes probably wins a couple coach of year honors. That all gone.

Need 9 in a row now

To be honest, UT basketball let the #1 ranking for 4 weeks get to their head...ever since we became #1 we became sloppy and went away from how we should play (inside out with good ball movement) and our defense has deteriorated. Its as if our goal this year was to achieve a #1 ranking. Hopefully this will serve as a wakeup call for us. And just to be real, the way we are playing now we could be out of the NCAA before the second week.
Hopefully our guards now realize our best player is Grant Williams. Run the offense through him or go home early.

Reactions: 08Vol
I predicted 9th so I'm pleasantly surprised. Just hope we don't lay an egg in the SECT. I'd be very concerned the committee would drop us to the 3 seed.

If the Vols win the SEC tournament they should be a No. 1 seed. If they don't they could fall all the way to a 3 seed, which will probably be based on SOS and all the other metrics. It will be on them and the breaks in the SEC tournament.

They need the right matchups, too. If Tennessee wins the conference tournament and just ends up playing say A&M, Ole Miss, and South Carolina...it probably won’t do too much.

The difference between 1st and 8th this year is just a popularity contest and business objectives (ESPN). There is nothing separating any of those 8 teams from one another. They all basically had the same season.

From here on out, it's win and advance. No more of the "Well, we should have won, but that was a good team playing lights-out on their home court," etc. The guys gotta win now because it's a binary equation: Stay In/Go Home.

Reactions: 08Vol and FlVols
The difference between 1st and 8th this year is just a popularity contest and business objectives (ESPN). There is nothing separating any of those 8 teams from one another. They all basically had the same season.
I'm guessing you're somebody that says "size doesn't matter, it's the way you use it"

If the Vols win the SEC tournament they should be a No. 1 seed. If they don't they could fall all the way to a 3 seed, which will probably be based on SOS and all the other metrics. It will be on them and the breaks in the SEC tournament.
And who the referees are in the games we play or who refs the LSU and Kentucky games. Don’t underestimate the power of our corrupt league office!

UT only won 1 big game at the end of the season and lost 3. Everyone has a chance to TAKE what they need, UT did not. Still a top 10 team playing under their potential headed into the tournaments means, we have some great games to watch. Everything except the SEC championship is still up for grabs. The seeding and rankings will take care of themselves, just win, you can't back into anything at this point.

So we were pre-season #6....tell me then we'd end the regular season with only 4 losses I'd take it in a heartbeat. And I'd be confident that we'd be a top 5 team.

VN Store

Back