3. UNC
  4. Kentucky
  5. Duke
  6. Michigan State
  7. Texas Tech
  8. Tennessee
  9. LSU*
  10. Michigan

We're only 11 votes behind Texas Tech and 26 votes behind 25-6 Michigan State.

Then a large drop off to 9th.

Too bad we lost, or we'd have certainly been in 4th above Duke.

Reactions: 08Vol and 508mikey
Michigan state has lost to a very average Indiana team twice. And a bad Illinois team am I right? Thats my biggest complaint.
Their overall SOS is keeping them afloat. They're beatable any day of the week, and so it's very frustrating that they keep getting overrated just by SOS.

Edit: They do have 11 Quad 4 wins...Tied with Virginia for the most.

Reactions: 08Vol
Michigan state has lost to a very average Indiana team twice. And a bad Illinois team am I right? Thats my biggest complaint.

Sorry but Indiana had a stretch where they lost 12 of 13 conference games. Getting swept by them is a complete embarrassment and it says way more about MSU than it does Indiana.

MSU being ranked ahead us is a joke...

I would love to pair up somehow with Mich st.

Us as a 1 and them a 2. I think we would have to win the SEC tournament and be the last #1 seed for it to happen. They obviously would need to win the Big 10 tournament or at least make the title game.

Reactions: feathersax
We have one bad loss on the season and it was an away game. We lost on a neutral court to a very good Kansas team at the time. And we lost two close ones in the SEC on the road at LSU and Auburn. Hopefully our guys just stay the course and keep working hard! We ALL we got, we ALL we need!

Reactions: savannahfan
Not that it matters, but that is quite the slide for such a loss. Michigan State? Are you kidding me? Texas Tech, even is a bit surprising. I figured we would drop to 6th, but not 8. Geez...

Not that it matters, but that is quite the slide for such a loss. Michigan State? Are you kidding me? Texas Tech, even is a bit surprising. I figured we would drop to 6th, but not 8. Geez...

Duke and UK never seem to drop much after a loss either.

Just goes to show you the NCAA is all about the blue bloods of College Basketball.

Sorry but Indiana had a stretch where they lost 12 of 13 conference games. Getting swept by them is a complete embarrassment and it says way more about MSU than it does Indiana.

MSU being ranked ahead us is a joke...
C'mon man, it's not a joke. If Tennessee was ranked ahead of MSU I would get it and wouldn't dispute it but it's definitely not a joke that MSU is ahead of Tennessee. They have 8 wins vs ranked teams to Tennessee's 2 wins. MSU has the most quadrant 1 wins in the country. You can't just point to a couple losses and say there you go we should be ahead of MSU when they've had such a harder schedule and beat so many more quality teams.

C'mon man, it's not a joke. If Tennessee was ranked ahead of MSU I would get it and wouldn't dispute it but it's definitely not a joke that MSU is ahead of Tennessee. They have 8 wins vs ranked teams to Tennessee's 2 wins. MSU has the most quadrant 1 wins in the country. You can't just point to a couple losses and say there you go we should be ahead of MSU when they've had such a harder schedule and beat so many more quality teams.

They have 8 wins against teams who were ranked when they played but many (Iowa x2, OSU, UCLA) aren't any longer. If the criteria is teams that were ranked at some point but no longer are, then UT has more than 2. Off the top of my head I know Ole Miss, Miss State, U of L, and WVU were all ranked at some point. So if UCLA is a ranked win for them, then we get to count West Virginia as one for us.

Last edited:

I'll concede that me saying them being ranked ahead of us is a joke may have been a bit much but I think you're inflating their big wins and downplaying a handful of terrible losses (of which we have none) quite a bit.

Like I said though... I'll concede that after digging a little deeper, it's probably closer than I originally thought.

Reactions: 1985Vols
Biskit, biskit, biskit........you might want to think how the committee has judged bad losses in the past.

If the Vols win the SEC tournament they should be a No. 1 seed. If they don't they could fall all the way to a 3 seed, which will probably be based on SOS and all the other metrics. It will be on them and the breaks in the SEC tournament.

Reactions: 10cpride
We have one bad loss on the season and it was an away game. We lost on a neutral court to a very good Kansas team at the time. And we lost two close ones in the SEC on the road at LSU and Auburn. Hopefully our guys just stay the course and keep working hard! We ALL we got, we ALL we need!

Auburn is not a bad loss, they are now ranked in the top 25 and have been in and out of the top 25 all season.

To be honest, UT basketball let the #1 ranking for 4 weeks get to their head...ever since we became #1 we became sloppy and went away from how we should play (inside out with good ball movement) and our defense has deteriorated. Its as if our goal this year was to achieve a #1 ranking. Hopefully this will serve as a wakeup call for us. And just to be real, the way we are playing now we could be out of the NCAA before the second week.

VN Store

Back