Tennessee definitely needs to take a page out of Georgia’s book when it comes to motivation

Georgia when Kirby Smart took over: 9-4

Tennessee when Heupel took over: 4-8 (with the exception of the NCAA investigation hanging over the programs head)

Enough said

Kirby won his first playoff game lost the natty on a hail mary in year 2.UT is a good ways behind ga right now.

"Motivational" ploys are way overrated. Good players and good teams shouldn't care what anyone outside the program has to say. Plus, if you go into a game all fired up because of a statement, that motivation is gone after the first play. Execute the gameplan and do your job. That's more important than being all mad about something a coach, player, or fan of another team said.

Regardless of motivation, we ain't beating the Dawgs for a couple more years. They recruit almost as many 5* as we do 4*.

They have a great coaching staff also, so don't pull that "Heuple can coach'em up crap". Look what Smart did with a walk-on. Even their 2nd team TE will be a high draft pick.+

Be content next yr. with 9-3 or 10-2. Gotta lose to somebody.

(No, I am not a Negavol. I expect 9-3 next year). If a negavol is someone who says we won't go 14-1, then so be it. Just be patient until the realignment in 2 years, then make it to the CFP.

Reactions: Big Orange Rob
Maybe I'll regret this but Florida is really not a concern for me right now. They are officially a dumpster fire

Hopefully but we haven't beat them in the Swamp since 2003. It is probably PTSD from the Butch Jones years and all those years UF was done and yet Butch Jones still found a way to lose to them, typically at the end of a game where we had the game won and choked it away with stupid hail mary pass or something crazy.

Hopefully but we haven't beat them in the Swamp since 2003. It is probably PTSD from the Butch Jones years and all those years UF was done and yet Butch Jones still found a way to lose to them, typically at the end of a game where we had the game won and choked it away with stupid hail mary pass or something crazy.

Those players and those coaches and most of all that mentality is LONG GONE. Again, it may haunt me but that team just isn't very good right now.

Those players and those coaches and most of all that mentality is LONG GONE. Again, it may haunt me but that team just isn't very good right now.

Agree but I don't think we can overlook them. On paper, they still might be the most talented SEC East team on our schedule besides Georgia.

Also we didn't necessarily put them away this year as well. They had a chance to win towards the end of that game.

Agree but I don't think we can overlook them. On paper, they still might be the most talented SEC East team on our schedule besides Georgia.

Also we didn't necessarily put them away this year as well. They had a chance to win towards the end of that game.

I hear you....but they just lost their QB recruit. Their starting QB left to go pro (don't ask me why) and they have lost a TON of players to the portal. I disagree with the "on paper" part of your statement. And we can't overlook ANYONE (hello USCjr).....but my concern for losses is definitely Bama and UGA.....not even sure Florida is 3rd on my list. I'm more nervous about other potential stumbling blocks next year

Some of you are quicker to swing from the nuts of a rival than give credit to Tennessees HC.

To hell with Georgia and Kirby Smart.
Flow-Bee Boy is great at self-promotion. Such a creepazoid. See y'all in Knoxville, fella.

Some of you are quicker to swing from the nuts of a rival than give credit to Tennessees HC.

To hell with Georgia and Kirby Smart.

Flow-Bee Boy is great at self-promotion. Such a creepazoid. See y'all in Knoxville, fella.

It never ceases to amaze me how many VolDawgs we have here. I mean people who will VEHEMENTLY defend uga at the expense of 'their' team, Tennessee.

uga. Trash program.

Stolen helmet.

Silly generic stadium with some bushes.

Biggest 'tradition'? Grown men dressed in S&M gear barking like dogs.

Their athletic complex is named after a skid-mark.

What is their fight song? Don't worry if you don't know, no one else does either.

Good grief.

It never ceases to amaze me how many VolDawgs we have here. I mean people who will VEHEMENTLY defend uga at the expense of 'their' team, Tennessee.

uga. Trash program.

Stolen helmet.

Silly generic stadium with some bushes.

Biggest 'tradition'? Grown men dressed in S&M gear barking like dogs.

Their athletic complex is named after a skid-mark.

What is their fight song? Don't worry if you don't know, no one else does either.

Good grief.
Nailed it, pal! "Fight song"? Only GA would choose a tune from the Yankee repertoire. How ironic...& their band can only play the first half-chorus, over & over. :rolleyes::cool:

Reactions: VolInNW
Smart has what? A 6 year head start on Heup. It will take a while but we are closing the gap. I say we start beating them when we are at 80% of their talent level. That's how much of a difference I see between our coach and theirs.

Reactions: Woke and VolInNW
Kirby won his first playoff game lost the natty on a hail mary in year 2.UT is a good ways behind ga right now.
If it had been a Hail Mary, there might have actually been a defender there lol.

The upperclassmen should be able to look at how things were when they got here, the adversity in 2021, and how close we were this year, and that should be all the motivation they need.

If it had been a Hail Mary, there might have actually been a defender there lol.
Understood. Still remains Vols roster is years behind. Need to get top 2-3 classes on consecutive years to really compete for titles. Otherwise it’s luck.

Reactions: Tnslim1
Understood. Still remains Vols roster is years behind. Need to get top 2-3 classes on consecutive years to really compete for titles. Otherwise it’s luck.
I think the time is a little more compressed because of the transfer portal, but yes. Need a class or two to build quality depth

Reactions: DickeyD
So is Kirby a good coach now? Or does he still have a lot to prove?

He's built the coaching staff to win it every year just LIke Saban did starting in 2009. Coaches that can coach, motivate and evaluate talent from recruiting to the practice field and on gameday. We don't know if CJH has that in place just yet and I think it's going to take a few years. I say we don't get to the top without having several years finishing in the Top 3 in recruiting. You cannot build a team bringing in portal mercenaries (just wanting NIL $) who do not mesh as a TEAM.

Just My O

Reactions: DickeyD
No way GA 3-peats. First off, TN is going to beat them this year. If that fails to happen then Bama will take care of them in the SECC game.
They STILL make the PO at 12-1 most likely............we've seen this movie before.
That is WHY we need to beat them this Fall.

They shouldn’t need external motivation every week to go and try and dominate their opponent. Yes, these little comments add fuel, but they should have internal desire to go win each and every game

Are you kidding me? The greatest athletes ever were literally professionals at creating external motivation…just watch “The Last Dance” about Jordan if you doubt that…he took literally anything he could perceive as a slight as motivation to put up his best the next night

VN Store

Back