Tennessee-BYU history

I've watched BYU a good bit over the last couple of years and since Taysom Hill left (although he was injured numerous times in his career) they haven't had anyone at QB that would worry me. They played a young freshman last year that might be better this yr but he's nowhere near as good as as any of the QB's we lost to last year. They'll be better this year but not as improved as our team. If we do struggle badly to BYU then we are definitely going backwards. Yes--they did beat Wisconsin but that was an absolute fluke. It happens. BYU is usually going to play a disciplined type of football but we have a large advantage in our athletes. Of course lightning can strike and we lose but I don't see it happening.

Reactions: Volatility
I think we win. I think Pruitt & Co. have heard the whining doubters among the fanbase. He also knows how hungry the fans and the team are for wins. Consequently, the coaches will have themselves and our men hyper-eager to prove themselves. The Vols will come out with bloodshot eyes, steaming from overheated blood in their veins, ravenous to hit anything not clad in orange. The danger will be to reign them in enough to not commit game infractions that would hurt us. I think by quarter two, it will emerge as a bloodbath. Both the team and position coaches will rebel against Pruitt taking a foot off the gas. On account, the whole bunch wants to make an opening season statement. And I think also in an attempt to put our SEC foes on notice.

Reactions: illinoisvolfan1
I fear BYU will knock JG out of the game. They beat Oklahoma one year by knocking out Sam Bradford early. JG must protect himself.

UK knocked Tim Tebow out cold once. JG Better keep that head on a swivel versus the Wildcats this year.

Reactions: FBtime
Before we get too wound up about BYU, let's see how they fare in the "Holy War" vs UTAH. Byu will put everything they have in that Thursday night game and then travel across the Country to face UT. Even if they beat Utah as a home underdog; (They have lost 8 straight to the Utes) That's a tough spot. I think Tenn will be favored by about 13 points and cover that in the 4th.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
Lol they beat Wisconsin. Is that halls go to for a sign of worry? LMAO we beat Auburn and Kentucky last year two teams better than Wisconsin. Wisconsin was 8-5 last year vs Kentucky being 10-3 and Auburn being 8-5 as well to tie Wisconsin. We will be ok against BYU that went 7-6. Our schedule was way harder than theirs last year and we still somehow managed to beat two top 25 teams and almost made a bowl game since the refs gave the game to South Carolina.

Haha. This was good...

These matchups are great for BYU, but the host Power Five school usually doesn’t have a hyped up crowd for when BYU comes to town. Wouldn’t expect anything different heading into Knoxville.

That BYU sports writer is in for a rude awakening. It's the first "real" game of the season. Neyland will be 100,000-strong and rocking.

Cant really say what will happen in this game yet,,,too early since fall practice hasn't started and the depth chart isn't even penciled in.
I hope we can get a win but a loss isn't unthinkable to me right now.

The Vols will need to "Man Up" to beat BYU, the results of this game may set the tone for 2019.
Go Vols

Are you kidding me? They also got beaten by Utah St 45-20 and Northern Illinois 7-6. We should beat them easily, and if we don’t we will be lucky to make a bowl.
Have you forgotten about Tennessee in this equation. There’s nobody on the schedule outside of maybe GaSouthern or UTC that we should beat easily.

Have you forgotten about Tennessee in this equation. There’s nobody on the schedule outside of maybe GaSouthern or UTC that we should beat easily.

As I’ve said to several, don’t be so jaded. Providing JG is healthy we should win games like this. With a staff this competent we can stop with battered Vol syndrome and have some expectations.

Does that somehow negate our new offense or DLine issues? If that team could get a win over Wisconsin, they can do it against us.

We have alot more talent then they do. Their weak spot is at WR on offense, they just are not very good there. Our strength on defense is the secondary. A one dimensional team with lacking talent is not going to march up and down the field on the Vols. Kentucky is more talented than they are.....significantly. Unless we turn the ball over a bunch we should win by double digits.

Reactions: Volatility
I watched BYU roll Texas two years in a row recently, they had grown men and a great coach. Fortunately they no longer have Taysom Hill at QB or Bronco Mendenhall coaching.

I’d say this is a toss up.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo

VN Store

Back