Tennessee-Bowling Green Season Opener to be on Thursday Night at 8PM

Phillip-Fulmer-New-Acting-Director-Tennessee-Cover.png

He said “low income” not “low IQ”

Reactions: OllVol and Vfl2407
I think its a good move. It will be one of the few games on TV that evening. Hopefully it will be a full house, the Vols show up excited (something they havent always done recently) and put on a good show. Nothing at all wrong playing a Thursday night game to open the season. Wasnt the win in Louisville in 1991 a Thursday night game?
Ask Carl Pickens what he thought about that game and exposure!!?! 🤣

Tennessee fans will complain about anything.

We’re playing Bowling Green. It’s a means to get exposure in a game vs. a mid major opponent. We did the same thing in 2004 vs. UNLV. I was there.

And guess who played in the first ever ESPN Thursday night game in 1991? Tennessee. We beat Louisville up there that night.

But yeah, let’s make this about Tennessee being bad. 🙄
Exactly. It’s not that big a deal and anyone who thinks it is isn’t very bright

I think its a good move. It will be one of the few games on TV that evening. Hopefully it will be a full house, the Vols show up excited (something they havent always done recently) and put on a good show. Nothing at all wrong playing a Thursday night game to open the season. Wasnt the win in Louisville in 1991 a Thursday night game?

Yes. The first ever.

Yes. The first ever.
My ex and I were there...strange venue. The game was played where the St. Louis Cardinals farm team (The Louisville Redbirds) played. Reconfigured for football, it seated about 40K. Lots of bleachers added. For baseball, I think it had about an 18K capacity. The sight lines were strange...you somehow knew you were in a baseball stadium—I sat down the right field line. Had my very first Papa John’s pizza delivered to the hotel post game. It was a local/regional chain then. (I think.)

No way with that late start and having to work Friday I can stay the whole game. If I'm able to attend, I can only hope to be impressed by halftime by a blowout.

Only people watching this game is Vol fans anyway. We are literally playing the worst team from 2020. People won’t tune in until they take us to overtime.

Reactions: irish1485
Not opposed to a Thursday night game to kick-off the season.
What I don't' like is the SEC Network coverage.
If you do Thursday night, you need to be THE GAME on that night on a major network...whole point behind a mid-week game is the exposure.
Might as well get max exposure by going to a national network.

what part of THE GAME do you think we deserve to be right now?

Thursday night makes it a tough sell for those traveling from more than a couple of hours away, including myself. On the plus side, those who do attend won't be boiling in the heat like at a September noon game.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
This is awesome.........night game opener instead of a scorching heat 12 noon game!!!!!!!! Dare I say it......................Checker Neyland!!!!!

Well those tickets are a bust. I'm not taking off work two days to go watch them play. I can only make the 4 hour drive on weekends.

And this is one of the classic examples of why season ticket sales are becoming a struggle everywhere.

I'm for it. A cooler night game on a day where there's very few other games on against an opponent that we SHOULD boat race. Plus it allows a couple of extra days of prep time for Pitt. It's all pluses IMO. I can't think of a downside to this. I may go and just take a vacation day that Friday.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
what part of THE GAME do you think we deserve to be right now?
Totally understand...do we deserve to be playing in the premier prime time spot in that Thursday night, probably not.

My point is that if you schedule a mid-week game, don't get lost in the shuffle and relegated to anything but a major network.

Otherwise you're no better off than playing it Noon or 3pm on Saturday.

VN Store

Back