Tennessee boosters

UT had minor disputes with five of the 18 Level 1 violations that the NCAA found during its investigation. Otherwise, it agreed generally that rules were broken and that almost $60,000 of cash or gifts were provided to players and their families by Pruitt, his wife and numerous coaches, recruiting staff and at least one booster.

Can someone name all of the Tennessee boosters, because it looks like one is involved now in this mess? What would Tennessee do to that booster that was involved?
Walk around campus and look at the names on the side of buildings and you will have answer on boosters. And wealthy boosters at that.

Reactions: SpookyAction
60k seems pretty weak all things considered. Bama probably dropped that at least once a year on just 1 player.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
60k seems pretty weak all things considered. Bama probably dropped that at least once a year on just 1 player.

We maybe also did more than what we self reported. Getting rid of the 3-7 coach with cause and avoiding his buyout may not have had any influence on that reporting and what was revealed, but I would not be surprised if it did. Impossible to say, but if we are gonna go down the what Bama probably does route I think it’s fair to point out the what we probably do too.

Fortunately we have some big money boosters who help the programs immensely. Without them...we aren't nearly as competitive in many sports imo.

The university can tell the boosters what the rules are, give them a copy of the rules, have training sessions with them, and if they are determined to give out money to recruits, they will find a way to do it. As someone else stated, if the booster were to be named publicly, it would most likely result in a lose of boosters. I believe the NCAA has a guideline for universities to go by when a booster is involved in this activity.

I recall some booster involvement in the debacle at Kansas with Bill Self and pretty sure all that is done with the booster is no direct support of the school for a certain amount of time...maybe a monetary penalty as well.

UT had minor disputes with five of the 18 Level 1 violations that the NCAA found during its investigation. Otherwise, it agreed generally that rules were broken and that almost $60,000 of cash or gifts were provided to players and their families by Pruitt, his wife and numerous coaches, recruiting staff and at least one booster.

Can someone name all of the Tennessee boosters, because it looks like one is involved now in this mess? What would Tennessee do to that booster that was involved?

This is impossible for anyone to name ALL of the Tennessee boosters. Just not possible.

Following is word for word those areas documented in the Guidebook to NCAA Rules for Alumni, Faculty and Friends of Volunteer Athletics sent to me by UTAD.

Under section “Representatives of Athletic Interests”

A “representative of an institution’s athletics interests” is anyone who is known (or should be known) by a member of the institution’s athletic administration to:

1. Be a member of or have participated in any organization promoting the institution’s intercollegiate athletics program (i.e. booster club).
  2. Have made any financial contribution to the institution’s intercollegiate athletics program or to an athletic booster organization. (this includes purchasing season tickets.)
  3. Have provided benefits to enrolled student-athletes
  4. Have assisted in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
  5. Have been involved, in any way, in the promotion of the University’s athletics program.

Under section “Rules Governing Recruiting and Extra Benefits”

1. Only coaches and institutional staff members may be involved in the recruiting process. All “athletics representatives” who are not employees of the University of Tennessee are prohibited from contacting a prospect by telephone, letter or in-person, on or off campus, for the purpose of encouraging participation in athletics at the University of Tennessee
  2. It is not permissible for prospects, student-athletes or their relatives and friends to receive any extra benefits or special arrangements. Examples of extra benefits that you cannot provide to these individuals include, but are not limited to:
    1. Cash or loans in any amount
    2. Cosigning or arranging a loan
    3. Providing gifts of any kind (i.e. clothing, airline tickets or holiday cards)
    4. Providing special discount for goods and services
    5. Use of an automobile
  3. As an athletics representative, you may continue friendships that pre-existed prior to an individual becoming a prospective student-athlete and developed outside of athletics. You simply cannot encourage a prospect’s participation in UT athletics or provide benefits to a student-athlete
  4. Do not purchase complimentary admissions to UT athletics events from current UT student-athletes.

Under section “Rules Governing Contacts with Prospects”.

Note: A prospect is a person who has started classes for the ninth grade.

1. Do not telephone, write (including chat rooms and e-mails), or make in-person contact (either on or off campus) with a prospect for the purpose of soliciting his participation in the athletics program.
  2. Do not become directly or indirectly involved with making arrangements for a prospect, the prospects relatives or friends to receive money or financial aid of any kind.
  3. Do not provide transportation to prospects, including transportation to campus to attend athletic events.
  4. Do not contact a prospective student-athletes coach, principal or counselor in an attempt to evaluate the prospect, and do not visit the prospect’s educational institution to pick up films or transcripts.
  5. DO not provide free or reduced cost tickets to any UT home or away events to prospects, their relatives or friends.
  6. DO not pay or offer to pay registration fees for summer sports camps for a prospect.
  7. Do feel free to attend high school and community college athletic events that you would usually attend. You simply cannot have any contact with the prospect or relatives of the prospect. Should the parents or a prospect ask you questions, pleae direct their questions to the appropriate coach at UT.

Under section “Consequences of NCAA Violations”

Institutions are required by the NCAA to notify boosters of consequences regarding rules violations. Boosters participation in non-permissible activities outlines by the NCAA could result in any of the following:

1. A prospect being declared ineligible to represent the University of Tennessee.
  2. A student-athlete being declared ineligible to compete for the University of Tennessee.
  3. An entire team being declared ineligible to compete in SEC or NCAA competition.
  4. Disassociation of booster with the institution and the loss of season ticket privileges.

At the bottom of each page, it says “Ask Before You Act”. Most of this is still interpretive language. If you wish clarification, encourage you to ask in the UT Compliance Office.

Pruitt, his wife, and one booster involved in cash payouts. Wonder what he did? How will they handle him?

In the past I've been threatened with having my season tickets taken away from me for things I did. I once drove a player and his mother across campus because it was like 25 degrees outside. Took them from the stadium to the dorm. Compliance called me and talked about taking tickets. A few times I was called in regards to things I had posted on message boards. A previous staff asked me to encourage fans to go see a signee when he was out to eat celebrating his scholarship. I was called immediately and told to refute that message. I obviously didn't tell them a coach had asked me to do that.

I know at least 2 friends who DID have tickets taken away from them and banned from coming to athletic events for things they did. Nothing they did ever came under NCAA review just athletic department / compliance caught it.

So my guess would be this booster would lose his access to athletics at Tennessee. And for those thinking a booster is someone with wants of money, if you purchase season tickets or donate to the university, you are a booster.

We maybe also did more than what we self reported. Getting rid of the 3-7 coach with cause and avoiding his buyout may not have had any influence on that reporting and what was revealed, but I would not be surprised if it did. Impossible to say, but if we are gonna go down the what Bama probably does route I think it’s fair to point out the what we probably do too.

Oh I'm not denying we do it and have done it forever. Just think that 60k reported is not a substantial amount.

I think the 60K was all they could prove. I believe the number likely was much higher.

Yeah. It’s a small amount that was “uncovered” and self reported, iirc, right? Also the money has things like paying for family members hip surgery. Seems like it’s plenty enough to justify getting rid of Pruitt without buying him out but also a smallish amount overall, with some that can also be pointed out as having been used for things that many might find sympathetic.

In the past I've been threatened with having my season tickets taken away from me for things I did. I once drove a player and his mother across campus because it was like 25 degrees outside. Took them from the stadium to the dorm. Compliance called me and talked about taking tickets. A few times I was called in regards to things I had posted on message boards. A previous staff asked me to encourage fans to go see a signee when he was out to eat celebrating his scholarship. I was called immediately and told to refute that message. I obviously didn't tell them a coach had asked me to do that.

I know at least 2 friends who DID have tickets taken away from them and banned from coming to athletic events for things they did. Nothing they did ever came under NCAA review just athletic department / compliance caught it.

So my guess would be this booster would lose his access to athletics at Tennessee. And for those thinking a booster is someone with wants of money, if you purchase season tickets or donate to the university, you are a booster.

Well, it’s good to know the compliance people are actually out there looking into things. Glad you kept your tickets. Also I guess I’m a booster too then?

Well, it’s good to know the compliance people are actually out there looking into things. Glad you kept your tickets. Also I guess I’m a booster too then?

Kept for several years. No longer have any. Gave the last ones up before 2020 season. I haven't been to a game since 2015 in knoxville.

If you put ant $$$ in the athletic department, yes you qualify.

Kept for several years. No longer have any. Gave the last ones up before 2020 season. I haven't been to a game since 2015 in knoxville.

If you put ant $$$ in the athletic department, yes you qualify.

Yeah I kept mine for about 3-4 years. I plan on getting them back, but it’s been a few years. Anyway, thanks for the info

VN Store

Back