Tennessee Baseball Commitments 2024, 2025, 2026 and beyond

Not really sure the draft could’ve gone any better for us, just glad it’s passed.

GBO!!!

I feel the opposite. It went terribly. Stevenson was probably coming beck and not projected to be a top 10 round pick, but he’ll leave now because he went way higher than projected. Crawford went R1, so he’s gone. If he goes around or two later, he’d likely be in Knoxville. We had a chance to get Mabrey and Lawson back, but Mabrey went as high as he possibly could’ve gone, as did Lawson, so both are leaving. Marcum was drafted even though few of any thought he would be.

Other than Stanwich, who most thought would forgo the draft anyway, we lost everyone we could’ve possibly lost. On top of that, Gilbert, Beck, and Tidwell went lower than projected and Luc, Evan, and Walsh all went undrafted. The draft went as bad as it possibly could’ve gone for Tennessee.

Last edited:
I feel the opposite. It went terribly. Stevenson was probably coming beck and not projected to be a top 10 round pick, but he’ll leave now because he went way higher than projected. Crawford went R1, so he’s gone. If he goes around or two later, he’d likely be in Knoxville. We had a chance to get Mabrey and Lawson back, but Mabrey went as high as he possibly could’ve gone, as did Lawson, so both are leaving. Marcum was drafted even though few of any thought he would be.

Other than Stanwich, who most thought would forgo the draft anyway, we lost everyone we could’ve possibly lost. On top of that, Gilbert, Beck, and Tidwell went lower than projected and Luc, Evan, and Walsh all went undrafted. The draft went as bad as it possibly could’ve gone for Tennessee.
Disagree.

We lost alot but when you have mega talented team that happens. Players/recruits saw 10 Tennessee players drafted and know if they come here that they can be prepared for MLB. Stephenson was the most unexpected and probably hurt the most.

We won't be as good next year but we have talent on the roster and we have talent lined up for the next few years.

I have mixed emotions. We lost a lot of guys and pretty much every position and half of our bullpen. But when you look at the level of players that could be in the lineup next year, we will still be top 5 if not #1 when next season starts. We have the number one starting rotation in the nation and our infield and outfield will be stacked. None of that counts what we are getting from incoming class which is usually 3-4 guys who help us if you look back over the past 4 years of success.

I have mixed emotions. We lost a lot of guys and pretty much every position and half of our bullpen. But when you look at the level of players that could be in the lineup next year, we will still be top 5 if not #1 when next season starts. We have the number one starting rotation in the nation and our infield and outfield will be stacked. None of that counts what we are getting from incoming class which is usually 3-4 guys who help us if you look back over the past 4 years of success.

Who would you project as catcher now that Alexander is gone, and assuming Skenes doesn't commit?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Disagree.

We lost alot but when you have mega talented team that happens. Players/recruits saw 10 Tennessee players drafted and know if they come here that they can be prepared for MLB. Stephenson was the most unexpected and probably hurt the most.

We won't be as good next year but we have talent on the roster and we have talent lined up for the next few years.

How could it have gone worse? Because I can tell you a number of ways it could've gone better for Tennessee:

-Crawford is drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round due to Tommy John concerns (thought to be a real possibility) and goes to Tennessee so he can get into the 1st round next year.
-Marcum isn't drafted.
-Stevenson isn't drafted top 10 or at all and returns to UT (as was thought to be very possible).
-Beck and Tidwell go R1 as expected. They were leaving anyway, so it would be better for them to go higher...where they were projected.
-Luc, Evan, and/or Walsh all get drafted.
-Lawson isn't drafted and comes back (which was though to be very possible)
-Mabrey not drafted in the top 10 and comes back.

Basically, the guys we wanted to get drafted high were drafted lower than expected (or the guys we wanted to be drafted period weren't) and the guys UT needed to get drafted low or go undrafted and come back were drafted higher than expected and are going pro.

I agree that we have talent and will be fine, but I'm not seeing how this draft went well for Tennessee on any level. Certainly not "couldn't have gone any better." It most certainly could have gone much better. The only way it could've gone worse is for Stanwich to get drafted, but he was thought to be a fringe MLB draft prospect anyway.

That said, these kids are human beings, so putting my UT fandom aside, I am happy for guys like Lawson and Stevenson getting their shot.

I posted in the commitment thread because I was specifically talking about not losing too many incoming guys. As for the other guys, good for them, hope they all do well chasing the dream.

I posted in the commitment thread because I was specifically talking about not losing too many incoming guys. As for the other guys, good for them, hope they all do well chasing the dream.

Gotcha. And I agree, I really hope the guys who left reach the bigs and live their dreams.

I guess I just wasn't expecting to lose anyone out of the recruiting class, other than possibly Stanwich (which I thought was a less than 50% chance). Marcum surprised me, but hopefully, he still comes to school.

Speaking of which, even though the '23 and '24 classes are ranked higher, Vitello may have found a nice sweet spot with the 22 class...a lot of talented players JUST below the caliber that gets drafted and signs. I think Sloop, Stanwich, Orr, Chapman, Marcum (if he comes to Knoxville), and Dreiling are all in that category. All of them have a legit chance to be freshman contributors, as does the Catcher Payton Ebbing. This class might end up being the best of the bunch if you only count the ones who make it to campus.

Vitello has proven to be a great evaluator of talent. I don't think many people thought Drew Beam would be a weekend starter (and a dominant one at that) this time last year. Burke was highly thought of, but I don't remember anyone thinking he'd make the kind of impact he did. You're right...I think we can probably assume that 3 or 4 of these freshmen will make an impact. Same for a juco or two.

There will also be some guys who are already on the roster who develop. Tears, Booker, Ensley, Evans, and a few others are all candidates to make a jump in production.

VN Store

Back