Tennessee and Michigan

rocky top buzz

I think we all agree that it sucks seeing Tennessee football where it is right now. But think about Michigan too. Both historically strong programs, both won titles in the late 90s. Both unable to field a consistently successful team this century. Michigan has stayed the course with Harbaugh while Tennessee has chased coaches, neither finding success.

What is the common denominator? I would argue They have OSU and we have Alabubba both as teams we expect to compete with but cannot. Their failings against Michigan State is like our failings with Vanderbilt.

I think the issue is culture. I think culture is so hard to fix. Culture is expecting to win. Culture is playing for your teammates over yourself. Both teams have had moments of looking like they turned a corner only to regress. I don't think it's purely coaching but what else can be changed?

Harbaugh was a proven NFL head coach, as is his brother, but signing college talent to the NFL is different than recruiting college talent out of high school, Spurrier and Saban were excellent college coaches, bettered by time in the NFL, and became better college coaches because of it, Ann Arbor may actually be as hard to recruit to as Knocksville,

Harbaugh was a proven NFL head coach, as is his brother, but signing college talent to the NFL is different than recruiting college talent out of high school, Spurrier and Saban were excellent college coaches, bettered by time in the NFL, and became better college coaches because of it, Ann Arbor may actually be as hard to recruit to as Knocksville,

Harbaugh did have success at Stanford before going to the 49ers.

Reactions: Volsonyourface
Michigan has been considerably better than we have in recent years. Since our last SEC East Championship season in 2007, we are 77-79, Michigan is 93-62. Likewise Nebraska is 94-64.

Exactly. Those aren’t great numbers for those schools, but they aren’t constantly racking up losing seasons like we’re seeing at UT.

Harbaugh is making nearly double what Pruitt is. He is without question the most overrated HC in college football.
No doubt, for the money it’s ridiculous the results they’re getting. He’s still in another league than Pruitt - CJP is just that bad. I’ve been done with him since Georgia State

Reactions: igotworms
Harbaugh is making nearly double what Pruitt is. He is without question the most overrated HC in college football.
I'm too lazy to calculate it, but it would be interesting to see who has payed more per win over the last 3 seasons, TN or MI?

Just because we lose to Vandy at the same rate Michigan loses to Mich St, does mean Mich St and Vandy are similar. Mich State went to the playoffs some years ago. All that comparison does is remind us how often we lose to Vandy.

I don't like it either but look at the head to head over the last decade. It is what it is...

I think the point was Michigan St. is much better than Vandy. They've won 3 B10 Championships in the past 10 years, lost 1 B10 Championship Game, and made the Playoffs in 2015. They've dropped off since then and lost their long time coach but Vandy wishes they had Michigan St.'s success.

A better comparison would be probably Indiana and Vandy, though I don't think Michigan plays them every year.

The only real in common thing Michigan and Tennessee have is both pushed out very successful HCes and did a very bad job replacing them. The difference is Michigan got their guy, and while he has not gotten them back up to elite levels yet he has probably gotten them back up to about where Carr had them. And their guy is a Michigan guy who happened to be very successful as HC at everywhere he had previously been.

Just because we lose to Vandy at the same rate Michigan loses to Mich St, does mean Mich St and Vandy are similar. Mich State went to the playoffs some years ago. All that comparison does is remind us how often we lose to Vandy.

To be fair, Tennessee plays 3 Ohio State (Alabama, Florida, and Georgia) level teams a season while Michigan plays 1 and Nebraska sometimes plays 1. Give Tennessee their schedule and we likely have similar results.

The only real in common thing Michigan and Tennessee have is both pushed out very successful HCes and did a very bad job replacing them. The difference is Michigan got their guy, and while he has not gotten them back up to elite levels yet he has probably gotten them back up to about where Carr had them. And their guy is a Michigan guy who happened to be very successful as HC at everywhere he had previously been.

They are about to fire him this year. He is 1-2 with a loss to a terrible Michigan State team that both Iowa and Rutgers crushed as well as a blowout loss to Indiana.

VN Store

Back