Tennessee all time starting 5

PG: Johnny Darden, 5'10" 165, super fast penetrator and distributor. Great range. Deadly in transition.
2G: Gary Carter, 6'3" 195, Long range bomber, great defender, hustle, takes and hits big shots. Icy veins.
SF: Alan Houston, 6'6" 210, no conscience, great range, scorer.
PF: Bernard King, 6'7" 220, Hall of fame offensive skills, scoring and rebounding. Deadly in transition.
C: Reggie Johnson, 6'10" 235, great shooting touch, great rebounder.

Reactions: LibertyVol
PG: Johnny Darden, 5'10" 165, super fast penetrator and distributor. Great range. Deadly in transition.
2G: Gary Carter, 6'3" 195, Long range bomber, great defender, hustle, takes and hits big shots. Icy veins.
SF: Alan Houston, 6'6" 210, no conscience, great range, scorer.
PF: Bernard King, 6'7" 220, Hall of fame offensive skills, scoring and rebounding. Deadly in transition.
C: Reggie Johnson, 6'10" 235, great shooting touch, great rebounder.
Head Coach: Pat Head Summitt

I accidentally omitted Bill Justus. It'd be quite the debate to rank Justus, England, and Edwards. All 3 would have been legends in the 3-point line era. Houston's offense would clearly far exceed all of them. I think that England shut down Pistol Pete on at least one occasion with his defense.

They were all outstanding free throw shooters as well. The bonus rule was different with Justus and England, possibly Edwards. Used to be when a player was fouled they got just one free throw. Then on the 7th team foul a "bonus" free throw was given if the shooter made the one free throw. Yet another rule change that makes Pistol Pete's scoring even more amazing (along with no 3PL, no shot clock, and freshmen not eligible).

Shutting down The Pistol was Billy Hahn IIRC....multiple times

Dale was a great basketball player and an all-round great athlete. I played golf with him a few years ago and he played very well. He is a really nice guy.

We played tennis together at the Palisades Apts a few times before he left for the pros. He was new to the game, with a badminton serve and no backhand, but he ran every ball down and competed like he was possessed.

My starting 5: Tony White, Allan Houston, Grant Williams, Dale Ellis and Bernard King. 2nd 5: CJ Watson(wanted a true PG), Chris Lofton, Dyron Nix, Ron Slay and Ernie Grunfield. Going with a 15 man roster, so: Isaiah Victor, Tobias Harris, Josh Richardson, Reggie Johnson and Jordan Bone(based on potential for his senior year). Admiral could play his way on the team depending on how he and the team finish this season

And you're suggesting that is why his system evolved into the uptempo star system?

No

What mental illness are you saying Stu Aberdeen had?

Nutzoidism. Is this a Trump-induced sickness? Can't remember jacksquat from moment to moment? That's the last time I am going to repeat myself so get get a spiral binder and take notes.

Anyone remember the score of 11-6 when Tennessee played Temple?

Mears going full bore nutzoid, yelling at Temple players and coaches. Temple coach yelling back. Two coaches getting all bent out of shape and then to prove their maturity, refused to change from our zone and their pass-a-thon. A stalemate among idiots.

Sound familiar?

Fans were pee-oooed to the max, ice on the floor, extra security behind the Temple bench. I don't think we took a shot in the 2nd half. And after we win, to the amazement of no one, UT President Bowling demands that the team play an intrasquad game. 11,000 people ran to the exits. 700 stayed, half of them waiting to get to a restroom.

Two guys right behind me screamed at the Temple coach..."we want a damn refund..."

Mears going full bore nutzoid, yelling at Temple players and coaches. Temple coach yelling back. Two coaches getting all bent out of shape and then to prove their maturity, refused to change from our zone and their pass-a-thon. A stalemate among idiots.

Sound familiar?

Fans were pee-oooed to the max, ice on the floor, extra security behind the Temple bench. I don't think we took a shot in the 2nd half. And after we win, to the amazement of no one, UT President Bowling demands that the team play an intrasquad game. 11,000 people ran to the exits. 700 stayed, half of them waiting to get to a restroom.

Two guys right behind me screamed at the Temple coach..."we want a damn refund..."

Mears wasn't an idiot. Why are you here? It's a TN forum.

And stop referring to people with depression as nutzoid.

I'd take Barnes over Mears as the HC.

They're kind of hard to compare. Mears quit at around 50 years old as he was reaching new heights while CRB took the UT job at around 60 after having hit a wall. Had Mears coached to a normal retirement age he could have been as successful as a Bobby Knight, a Rick Pitino, a Cailpari, a Bill Self and the likes of many other big names. But Stu had also just left for Marshall. There's no telling where Mears could have taken TN if meds or treatments had been available or better 40 years ago.

They're kind of hard to compare. Mears quit at around 50 years old as he was reaching new heights while CRB took the UT job at around 60 after having hit a wall. Had Mears coached to a normal retirement age he could have been as successful as a Bobby Knight, a Rick Pitino, a Cailpari, a Bill Self and the likes of many other big names. But Stu had also just left for Marshall. There's no telling where Mears could have taken TN if meds or treatments had been available or better 40 years ago.

Mears was a good recruiter and a great motivator. He coached in a time when SEC schools announced head basketball coaches had been promoted to defensive coordinator on the football team. Maybe 3 or 4 schools took basketball seriously. He had Grunfeld and King and went 0-2 in NCAA games with them. Even lost one year to VMI in the first round.

I remember the Mears era and it has always seemed to me that many remember those years a little more fonder than they actually were.

Reactions: knox73

VN Store

Back