Tennessee all time starting 5

He played inside at UT much like Williams and rarely took outside shots.
I was at UT at the same time as Ellis and that is not exactly true. He went up and over people on the inside but he took a lot of outside shots also. One reason he could get inside shots is because people could not back off of him when he was outside and that gave him the opportunity to drive by them. He would have taken more if there had been a three point line. Why take a three pointer if you can go inside and go up and over people inside for the same number of points.

Reactions: OrangenSC
I was at UT at the same time as Ellis and that is not exactly true. He went up and over people on the inside but he took a lot of outside shots also. One reason he could get inside shots is because people could not back off of him when he was outside and that gave him the opportunity to drive by them. He would have taken more if there had been a three point line. Why take a three pointer if you can go inside and go up and over people inside for the same number of points.
I dont recall Ellis taking much outside 12 feet or so.

Reactions: ksgovols
I'd go with Tony White, Lofton, Ellis, Ernie and Bernie
Agree on White over Houston. Both were dynamic, but Tony White was downright feared. You could put multiple guys hanging all over him, and he'd still ring you for 30. I may put Grant in for Ernie.

I think that Ellis actually posted up down low much more than starting possessions away from the basket and driving. I'd love to see his shots charted. I think he also got a lot of points off of offensive rebounds.

Not only did he play without the 3-PL, as you've mentioned, but he played for a coach that wouldn't allow many outside shots without first working the ball into the paint. The 3-point line went into effect when Devoe was the coach and he said that anybody that checked their feet before attempting a perimeter shot would be benched.

Devoe also hated the 45-second clock as he'd begin stalling if he had a multi-possession lead with 5 or more minutes remaining. He used a compacted variation of the 4 corners... one point guard and 2 players stacked on either side of the free throw line area. The pairs would set picks for each other at the elbows as the PG tried to dribble out the clock.

Another weird thing about Devoe, he was an advocate for raising the goal to 12 feet because of all of the dunking that was happening as the game evolved. Devoe's stubbornness to adapt to change ended his career at UT. Recruits didn't care for his old school methods and philosophy. Navy was the perfect situation for him after UT. Florida and Dwayne Schintzus was a disaster.

Reactions: cardvolfan
There's a huge difference between an all time starting 5 and the greatest 5 to have ever played. CJ Watson, Rodney Woods and Jordan Bone, maybe even Danny Shultz, are the best PGs, but Allan Houston, Lofton, Jimmy England, Mike Edwards, Mike Jackson, JuJuan Smith, and Tony White are arguably better guards. However, Bone still has a year and a half left. He could leave campus as the greatest PG to have ever put on a TN uniform.

Same deal at the 5. Boerwinkle is most likely the best true center... maybe Kosmalski the 2nd. But there are power forwards that were better. Reggie Johnson first comes to mind. Tobias, King, Ellis, Tyler Smith, and maybe even Widby would take that spot if putting the 5 best talents on the floor.

TN's greatest players have been forwards with a couple of shooting guards added to the list.

OK, for a TRUE Center, Tom Boerwinkle or Reggie Johnson. I saw Johnson play but never Boerwinkle. TB played in the NBA for 10 years.
Thoughts from anyone who saw them both??

Reactions: Maxwell
Agree on White over Houston. Both were dynamic, but Tony White was downright feared. You could put multiple guys hanging all over him, and he'd still ring you for 30. I may put Grant in for Ernie.
Houston was amazing. Tony White was a great player but nowhere in the same league as Houston. He played when we were absolutely terrible and he was the only option. Opposing teams only had to concentrate on him and he still scored more than any Vol ever.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I saw Boerwinkle play. He was a big, big man. He had some bulk as well as height. A friend of mine played at that time and said the big show was watching Stu Aberdeen guard him with a broom in practice. For that time period, he was a really good big man. Unlike the big men that came later, not a lot of range shown in college, but was not called on to do that either. Mears would have choked him if he got far from the basket. I was surprised but pleased with his NBA career.

Last edited:
As far as Reggie was concerned, a little more range a little different kind of center and was called on to play much differently than TB. Which one is better is hard to judge because of the difference in the coaching philosophy that each played under.

OK, for a TRUE Center, Tom Boerwinkle or Reggie Johnson. I saw Johnson play but never Boerwinkle. TB played in the NBA for 10 years.
Thoughts from anyone who saw them both??

I think that Reggie was a little under sized for a true center in his era. He had good length but was on the thin side. He'd be a better 5 in the current era. When he played at UT the 5 spot was much more physical. Alcindor and Sampson being the freakish exceptions.

Boerwinkle was before my time but I have read that he was an outstanding passer. They didn't keep assist stats back then, but I bet he had a lot of them dishing the ball to Widby.

As far as Reggie was concerned, a little more range a little different kind of center and was called on to play much differently than TB. Which one is better is hard to judge because of the difference in the coaching philosophy that each played under.

Reggie was really a 4 playing on teams without a 5. Similar situation with King and Grunfeld. Even Ashworth, who was the 5 before Reggie, was a smallish 4. Too bad Kosmalski didn't overlap with both Ernie and Bernie. IIRC LK's senior year was EG's freshman year.

Tony White would be on my starting 5...unique to everyone on this team, TW had Jordan Bone quickness, a scorer’s mentality, with range and touch...

I really love a bunch of the older guys in our history. For those who are younger though , Bernard King was not only the best basketball player at Tennessee but one of the best ever basketball players of all time. Also,when the new mall opened in Chattanooga in the 1980's they got King to sign autographs. He let a total stranger with a Vol scrapbook of paper clippings sit beside him over an hour till I absolutely had to get back to work. Thanks,Bernard . This is however the best Tennessee team I have ever saw! Williams, Schofield,Alexander,Bone,Bowden,Turner,Pons and Fulkerson in spurts. Go VOLS number 1.

Looking back at those stats from the 70s it appears to me that basketball in that era was probably more fun to watch when it comes to freedom of movement and defensive style.

Perhaps more of an NBA type game flow without the 3 pt line.

JMO from looking at the stats

VN Store

Back