Tennessee a 30.5 Favorite over BG!

Tenn 30- BG 24. 3 TDs 3 fgs. BG scores late tonmake it look closer then it was but the defense is suspect.
You can make an effective offense with decent players with a good scheme and knowing how to get the best out of players abilities. I think Josh can and will have a decent offense. I do see it being kind of jeckle and hyde from game to game. Rhe good teams with food defenses we will most likely struggle against. If Josh could win games like BG with the players he had in florida he can win this game.
I'm more worried about the defense last year that didnt play well with a defensive coach. After some left, its even more watered down. To me, defense is about having players. A WR can be a type. Fast, great at jump balls, small and quick, tall and good at body positioning. RBs can bee power runners or scat backs that can catch deep balls. (Clemson does that a lot.) Offensive lines can double team and chip, TE and RBs can help block or chip to help out the oline. Playcalling can keep a defense on its heels.
So even a guy that doesnt have a complete game, he can be used and be very productive if used to there strengths. On defense a corner has to be able to cover all those types of WRs. A Lber has to be able to run with a TE or running back to cover them, stuff a guard, blitz and tackle a RB/QB in space. A Dlinemen have to beat there man or no pass rush scheme works. I just dont think Tennessee has very good talent on defense and it will be hard to stop teams. Hopefully the new defensive coaches at least show something but 8m giving them a total free pass for 2 reasons. 1 the got nothing to work with. 2 I live in Miami area and have seen the dolphins fire 2 offensive coordinators in 2 years and now the only people willing to take the job were to assistants. Would you move your family, put you kids in schools when the team has a history of having a quick hook even with a very difficult situation? Pet these guys have a couple years without too much heat. I just dont see anyone that is really good even if it an unknown coming here if we fire these guys in 1-2 years.

I’m feeling 35-24. I just don’t feel great about the defense this year.

I first saw this and read it be Tennessee scores 30 against BGU...I mean, seriously, when's the last time we scored 30 in a game ???

I will be shocked if it is still a game after the 1st quarter. The team that opened against UT in '15 eventually won the MAC and went 10-4. Along the way they beat both Maryland and Purdue.

This BGSU team is on a historically bad run. They have 8 total victories in the last 4 years. Two were against FCS teams.... they actually lost to an 8-5 South Dakota team in 2017.

My belief isn't based on having any kind of certain confidence in UT.... just a recognition that BGSU may not be as good as UT's scout team.

Wow. Shocked if it’s still a game after the 1st quarter??? Surely you are joking. You seem to be using last years results as predictors for this year.

Four interrelated caveats:
It's the first game, we'll be running plays ultra-fast, in front of +90,000 loud fans, and probably playing plenty of freshmen. Any one of those factors would normally produce unforced penalties. Combined...?

Now maybe in this offense which goes for yardage in big chunks, those first-and-fifteen drive stoppers in past offenses won't be as crippling. But they will surely happen, and more so in this first game.

I understand that right now, to rebuild the program and the culture, the staff are encouraging the players to have fun. Is the staff simultaneously able to install mental discipline, or does that become Phase 2 or 3 of the rebuild?

My hopes are high, but I'm keeping my expectations low. And SURELY by now Vol fans have learned that psychological lesson in season survival!
It’s so wrong seeing 90 plus thousand instead of 100 thousand

Reactions: OneVolNation
it's a mid-week game in which a good number of people would have to burn 1.5-2 days of vacay, against a lackluster opponent, with a new coach no one was really excited for. announced attendance will probably be 93k. actual attendance 88k max. blue hairs won't be up for a game that starts at 20:00, either.
Screw the blue hairs anyway they kill the atmosphere anyway. I’m driving from Dallas

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Wow. Shocked if it’s still a game after the 1st quarter??? Surely you are joking. You seem to be using last years results as predictors for this year.
IMO, a team as bad as BGSU has been for the reasons they've been bad... give a good indicator of what they'll be like this year.

I wouldn’t touch it if someone else gave me money.

Think this has to do with more of how bad Bowling Green has become as a program. Plenty of FCS teams are better than them. At least were last year. See how much improvement they have this year I guess

will cover. Need the starters to get as many reps as possible; to feel more comfortable in the new system.

Heard today that many think BG may the worst MAC team in the history of the conference. Should've scheduled them twice this year. Doesn't hurt that the Vols also host periennial OVC cellar dweller Tenn Tech this year.

You seem to be pretty clueless on just how bad BG is. They are picked to be last in their division in the MAC and their only wins being the two FCS team on their schedule. Last year in a 5 game MAC schedule they lost all 5 games by avg 42-11 score. They have NOT brought in a bunch of transfers to rebuild, they are relying on recruits. The last two years those recruiting rankings were 105 and 86.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
You seem to be pretty clueless on just how bad BG is. They are picked to be last in their division in the MAC and their only wins being the two FCS team on their schedule. Last year in a 5 game MAC schedule they lost all 5 games by avg 42-11 score. They have NOT brought in a bunch of transfers to rebuild, they are relying on recruits. The last two years those recruiting rankings were 105 and 86.

Ok then we shall see. So is it safe to assume that if we don’t cover the spread against BG that you will be one of those that will be worried about how our season will go? And use that outcome as a
Knock on JH coaching ability?

Ok then we shall see. So is it safe to assume that if we don’t cover the spread against BG that you will be one of those that will be worried about how our season will go? And use that outcome as a
Knock on JH coaching ability?

I think TN Tech will give us a better game and yes, would be a little disappointed we didn't cover what is a very generous spread. Will I use that single outcome as an indictment for Heupel and this team? Heck no...it's a long season.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
BG alum here. I can guarantee you this game won't be the same nor as exciting as the 2015 game. Tenn will have this spread covered by the middle of the 2nd quarter. Since 2015 we have gotten worse every year thanks to terrible coaching hires. In 2015 we had 4 wr's who eventually made it to the NFL.....on a MAC team

BG alum here. I can guarantee you this game won't be the same nor as exciting as the 2015 game. Tenn will have this spread covered by the middle of the 2nd quarter. Since 2015 we have gotten worse every year thanks to terrible coaching hires. In 2015 we had 4 wr's who eventually made it to the NFL.....on a MAC team
I remember y’all having a pretty competent team back then. Guess a lot has changed for us all since 2015

VN Store

Back