Tennessee 2023 Schedule Reveal

Virginia is a pretty bad ACC team. We don’t have a historical rivalry with them and winning won’t really help us advance in any rankings.

A) It’s a power 5 game. Much better look than a mid major, but probably an easier win than a lot of mid-major teams. So you get the easy win without looking like you beat a cupcake.

B) Virginia is a talent rich state that Tennessee has recruited historically. This helps exposure in that state.

C) Tennessee should always play in Nashville when it can. It’s the most talent-rich area in the state. It’s full of Vol fans. And it gives folks in Middle and West Tennessee a chance to attend a game they might not be able to otherwise.

So the game makes sense for a few reasons.

Virginia is a pretty bad ACC team. We don’t have a historical rivalry with them and winning won’t really help us advance in any rankings.

Meh....the Vols will advance as much as they would after any other 1st game against practically any opponent. First week rankings don't mean anything.

James Franklin just said it concerning scheduling more SEC teams after Penn State trounced Auburn. The first Big 10 game at Jordan Hare in it's history of 400 and something games there. He said no, the analytics for current college football scheduling do not favor out of conference games against traditionally strong programs, particularly with the conferences expanding and adding more conference games. Most Power 5's are going to schedule to become bowl eligible.

It will be interesting to see if these made for tv opening week games will continue once the SEC is playing 9 conference games, 5 of which will be on the road every other year and what the networks will contractually demand for the $$$ they're doling out. I think we're going to get a good dose of directional schools and subsidizing some of the TBR schools in state that need the money.

C) Tennessee should always play in Nashville when it can. It’s the most talent-rich area in the state. It’s full of Vol fans. And it gives folks in Middle and West Tennessee a chance to attend a game they might not be able to otherwise.

Playing in Nashville every other year isn't enough?

Any high school players in mid tennessee that aren't familiar with UT probably won't get into any college.

Jimbo may be on the hotseat on 10/15
Yeah but if he can make it to the end of this year they will buy him a ready made QB and that’s all he will need with the squad of players they will have. I could easily see them ranked 4 or 5

That is, without a doubt, the softest out of conference schedule I've seen for Tennessee since I don't know when. For real this is the non-conference slate? For real?

Virginia, Austin Peay, UTSA, and UConn? Either we wanted something easy to change if the Texas/Oklahoma thing happens, or we just _reaaaally_ didn't want any tough games outside the usual suspects that year.
I think you’re wrong. But I’m gonna read the rest of the thread because I suspect people have already proven you to be wrong.

Reactions: P.O.T.S. VOL
That is, without a doubt, the softest out of conference schedule I've seen for Tennessee since I don't know when. For real this is the non-conference slate? For real?

Virginia, Austin Peay, UTSA, and UConn? Either we wanted something easy to change if the Texas/Oklahoma thing happens, or we just _reaaaally_ didn't want any tough games outside the usual suspects that year.
Really pathetic out of conference scheduling. Who is UTSA? San Antonio. Really.!????

A) It’s a power 5 game. Much better look than a mid major, but probably an easier win than a lot of mid-major teams. So you get the easy win without looking like you beat a cupcake.

B) Virginia is a talent rich state that Tennessee has recruited historically. This helps exposure in that state.

I understand the rationale but just think regular season college football should be payed on campus—not in some soulless NFL stadium.

I understand the rationale but just think regular season college football should be payed on campus—not in some soulless NFL stadium.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying there is rationale behind it.

I'll be there, though, tailgating hours before kickoff.

Reactions: taylorvol

VN Store

Back