Tennessee 2020 Schedule Analysis By Athlon

Not if we play basically “2 perfect” games against OU and UF according to Athlon. I have a great deal of respect for what OU and UF have done, and we have no room to talk, but I don’t think we have to play perfect to beat them. Their records speak for themselves, but I think they were flawed football teams last year. OU could’ve been a 3/4 loss team last year. UF didn’t look like world beaters against us, we turned Trask over 3 times I think and then the offense missed multiple scoring opportunities . I’m not saying we would’ve won or should’ve won because Florida was the better team, but the score should’ve been much more competitive .

Our offense’s MO last year was not being able to score, especially in the red zone. This was mostly due to poor decision making from JG and lack of a capable backup QB for when he was struggling. The lack of summer workouts and a shortened spring practice will result in HB not ready to be the starter until the middle of the year. I fully expect blowouts to Bama, UF, and OU. UGA will be our best chance of pulling an upset with HB as the starter, game will mostly be won by our defense tho

Our offense’s MO last year was not being able to score, especially in the red zone. This was mostly due to poor decision making from JG and lack of a capable backup QB for when he was struggling. The lack of summer workouts and a shortened spring practice will result in HB not ready to be the starter until the middle of the year. I fully expect blowouts to Bama, UF, and OU. UGA will be our best chance of pulling an upset with HB as the starter, game will mostly be won by our defense tho
I hope you’re wrong.

Ummmm no. Houston? I can get there basically for free, and I would have a free place to stay (probably) and I don't think I would go. How many other VOL fans would make that trek?

Me. It's easy to get to from anywhere, and it's a new location to visit. I'm almost tired of watching us beat mid-level Big10 teams in Florida. Almost.

Georgia or Oklahoma’s our best shot at an upset, I think. South Carolina will be pivotal. That is a must win to improve on last year.
The upset I think will either be Oklahoma or Florida at home. If Tennessee somehow beats both Oklahoma and Florida this will signal a return of Tennessee to the Top 10.

I like our defenses chances against Oklahomas brand new QB in week 2. With Pruitt and Ainsley's defensive magic mixing with all those experienced defensive lineman we ought to wreak some havoc.

I mean watching Oklahoma last year, they relied on Jalen Hurts A LOT. He bailed them out so much. They 100 percent lose to K-State and Baylor without him. Without Hurts they are no better than 9-3 in the regular season and could have easily been 7-5. If they barely beat Texas and Iowa State with Hurts, are they really beating them without him?

No doubt Rattler is good, but he's only played meaningful minutes against South Dakota and their opener is against Missouri State.

They feel ripe for the upset.

Its all up to whoever our quarterback is though...

Think UGA and Bama are mainly replacing guys on offense, UGA more so than Bama. UF is replacing a few on both, but gets their QB back.
UGA and Bama are both replacing their QB and top two WRs. UGA lost a few starters on their O Line. Same with Bama. Bama lost almost its entire secondary. There was a noticeable drop off defensively for Bama last year it’s only going to get worse. UGA offense wasn’t anemic and they’re banking on a lot of unproven players and an OC who struggled last year.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
UGA and Bama are both replacing their QB and top two WRs. UGA lost a few starters on their O Line. Same with Bama. Bama lost almost its entire secondary. There was a noticeable drop off defensively for Bama last year it’s only going to get worse. UGA offense wasn’t anemic and they’re banking on a lot of unproven players and an OC who struggled last year.

I actually think UGA lost 4 of 5 OL starters

It was pretty bad. They only scored more than 30 once in SEC play. Not sure how Monken will work out, but it’s probably safe to assume he’ll do better than Coley simply because of how bad Coley did. I would say Coley set the bar low, but that would imply he set the bar somewhere.

HB hasn’t even stepped foot on a college field and you’re saying that he’s our best chance to beat....Georgia?...
you sound like SC fans last year ready to crucify Jake Bentley for Ryan Hilinski...how’d that work out for them? 4-8

HB hasn’t even stepped foot on a college field and you’re saying that he’s our best chance to beat....Georgia?...
you sound like SC fans last year ready to crucify Jake Bentley for Ryan Hilinski...how’d that work out for them? 4-8

South Carolina did beat UGA last year, mainly due to their defense, I think our game will play out very similarly. I also think HB gives us the best chance to win b/c he won’t force the ball while trying to impress NFL scouts. JG wants to go pro and this is his last year to prove it so I expect him to take more risks. Good defenses will take advantage of that.

South Carolina did beat UGA last year, mainly due to their defense, I think our game will play out very similarly. I also think HB gives us the best chance to win b/c he won’t force the ball while trying to impress NFL scouts. JG wants to go pro and this is his last year to prove it so I expect him to take more risks. Good defenses will take advantage of that.
I respect your opinion but i don’t agree at all. That SC/UGA game, Hilinski didn’t play in the 2nd half, and Fromm played the worst game of his career, I don’t believe that SCs defense was very good, at all. HB is getting no practice with the system bc of this virus. In my opinion, our best hope for the most successful season, is JG not having to relinquish the starting job. That means we’re rolling, if HB has to become the starter, that means we’re in trouble..

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Not if we play basically “2 perfect” games against OU and UF according to Athlon. I have a great deal of respect for what OU and UF have done, and we have no room to talk, but I don’t think we have to play perfect to beat them. Their records speak for themselves, but I think they were flawed football teams last year. OU could’ve been a 3/4 loss team last year. UF didn’t look like world beaters against us, we turned Trask over 3 times I think and then the offense missed multiple scoring opportunities . I’m not saying we would’ve won or should’ve won because Florida was the better team, but the score should’ve been much more competitive .
OU lost a lot and you’re spot on with Florida. The last two games against Florida have probably been our worst all year. If it could go wrong, it did. Florida would have won anyways the last two seasons but they were not 31 points better than we were last year. I’ll give them the year before but not last season.

Last edited:
We were not even competitive against Florida last year. We got totally dominated the way I remember it. I don't think its going to happen like that again for quite a while though.Pruitt is building a team that will go toe to toe with anyone.
The score looked bad but we couldn't get out of our own way that whole game. Stupid mistakes that cost us whole game and Florida capitalized. Could've been much closer

The score looked bad but we couldn't get out of our own way that whole game. Stupid mistakes that cost us whole game and Florida capitalized. Could've been much closer
It was 10-0 when the pass went through JJs hands in the endzone that got intercepted. Their guy fumbled the ball on 4th down before he scored right before half I thought. Score could have been 10-7 at halftime, could have made for a different game. I thought it was our WRs worst game of the year. We also had an unexplainable drive that consisted of 3 straight failed screen plays.

Reactions: RockyTop140
8-4 isn’t bad. I’d like for our boys to beat at least one of the team we aren’t supposed to (read that: Florida...I want UT to beat the hell out of Florida).

VN Store

Back