Telemarketers

Boat horn. Comes in a can. Walmart, West Marine, Academy, wherever. Goes for about 15 bucks. You can easily get 50-75 telemarketers before it runs out of air, if you stick to the standard one-second blast.

Won't stop 'em, but at least you feel like you've fought back.

Making spoofing numbers illegal would be a great first step. I don't understand why that's not illegal.
'
We got a voice mail about three weeks ago from a lady that proves they had spoofed my Dad's cell phone. Reported it to the FTC. For whatever good that will do. But any great first step will just lead to the need for another great first step. Truth be told, I think they are afraid of making it illegal, because of the number of jobs it creates. My thought on that is when you make telemarketing illegal, make self serve gas illegal too. Instant jobs.

'
We got a voice mail about three weeks ago from a lady that proves they had spoofed my Dad's cell phone. Reported it to the FTC. For whatever good that will do. But any great first step will just lead to the need for another great first step. Truth be told, I think they are afraid of making it illegal, because of the number of jobs it creates. My thought on that is when you make telemarketing illegal, make self serve gas illegal too. Instant jobs.
Thats the problem though. If they're spoofing numbers, you dont have a means to track the actual caller. If spoofing was illegal, the consumer could block the call for the future and report it with an actual number that could be connected to the telemarketer.

'
I got a call a couple months ago that showed on my caller ID as my own number.

Reactions: rs16 and VolNExile
'

I'd rather deal with telemarketers and be able to continue pumping my own gas.

I received a warranty call last week. Have received several of them over the years. I pushed the #1 (I think) to show I was interested. When she picked up she asked "what is the make and model of your vehicle"? To which I responded "It's a nineteen seventy eight mercury cougar" and she promptly hung up". I get the credit card consolidation ones all the time. I click the number to correspond to the live operator and when the ask how much debt I am carrying I tell them "eighty nine thousand four hundred on five different cards". That gets a hang up pretty quick.

This is part of my auto-reply. If I don't recognize your number, or if you don't leave a vm, I'm blocking your number.
No wonder I couldn't get hold of you when I came through Waynesville the other day😄

Reactions: VolNExile
I'd rather deal with telemarketers and be able to continue pumping my own gas.
Felt so dumb in Oregon when I was having to get gas. Drove up, waited a bit. Guy shows up. Asks his questions does his thing, asks if I need anything from inside. Whole time I am sitting there like a Jack donkey wondering why this is necessary. Some people out there consider it dangerous. I guess they took Zoolander too seriously.

Felt so dumb in Oregon when I was having to get gas. Drove up, waited a bit. Guy shows up. Asks his questions does his thing, asks if I need anything from inside. Whole time I am sitting there like a Jack donkey wondering why this is necessary. Some people out there consider it dangerous. I guess they took Zoolander too seriously.

People shouldn't be driving if they don't feel they're competent to pump gas.

Is it still full-service-only in New Jersey?

When my former in-laws retired from NJ to NC, my mother-in-law truly had no idea how to pump gas. Not because she didn't feel competent in some way, but because there literally were no self-service stations in Joisey.

Reactions: rs16
That just provides the Telemarketers with a list of good numbers to call.

While that's not true, even if it were they're still calling numbers over and over that people aren't answering.

Is it still full-service-only in New Jersey?

When my former in-laws retired from NJ to NC, my mother-in-law truly had no idea how to pump gas. Not because she didn't feel competent in some way, but because there literally were no self-service stations in Joisey.
Still no self serve in The Garden State, yet prices are low. Hard to understand most pumpers, though.

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back