Technical

The technical foul was not assessed to Santi in the official box score.
Maybe I’m incorrect then. Louisiana’s coach said Santi flexed and said something to the bench while staring at the head coach after a turnover. Coach became irate and told Santi “he was better than that.” Our friend Pat Adams saw and heard the entire thing and gave a T to both parties.

I was glad to see that Santi apologizes to the coach during a TV timeout and after the game.

The refs allowed them to play last night. While I get frustrated with officiating, they have a difficult job. I went to the SEC tourney and Memorial Gym to watch the Vols play. There is so much hand checking and contact throughout each possession.
Players are tugging on jerseys and I won’t mention the contact on screens.

The game is so quick and the refs have a split second to make a call or no call. It’s frustrating to watch on TV as we see everything due to instant replay.

Santi doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt as I noticed during the games I attended that Vandy and Ole Miss both grabbed his jersey all game. Santi would walk over and tell the ref but nothing changed.

I will say that refs have done a better job last 5 years or so than I remember back in the day with Basketball.

They need to hire younger officials who can keep up with the flow of the game.

That’ll fix a lot of it.

The LA coach started it. Giving Vescovi a T would have benefited ULL even though they started the conflict. So maybe the refs decided to pick the closest TN coach to give a T rather than adding another personal foul on SV.

To your first point, upon replay, Uros was fouled on that play not once, but twice, and at no point was the ball ever tied up or possessed by Uros and any Louisiana player. They never got a hand on the ball. Terrible call, and that crew was way too antsy on the jump ball calls all night.
Uros isn’t doing himself any favors with his executioner reputation, but they were definitely after him last night. The same thing is happening with Santi when he stabs at the ball for a steal. Any action to the ball is a reach foul, even when they’re clean takes with good position.

Maybe I’m incorrect then. Louisiana’s coach said Santi flexed and said something to the bench while staring at the head coach after a turnover. Coach became irate and told Santi “he was better than that.” Our friend Pat Adams saw and heard the entire thing and gave a T to both parties.

I was glad to see that Santi apologizes to the coach during a TV timeout and after the game.

I'm trying to picture a coach storming agressively onto the court while yelling "you're better than that!"

Last edited:
I will say that refs have done a better job last 5 years or so than I remember back in the day with Basketball.

Idk how old you are but I played in the 70’s and 80’s. It was a different game at all levels. The NBA allowed players to be closed line and if you went into the paint then you were going to get hit.

Vince Yarbrough (sp) and Dante Jones (he took Ms State to final four 1995 or 1996 ) coached my son yrs ago in AAU ball. Both said the game changed for offense. It was cool to gain their perspectives as former players. But today’s players complain too often.

I'm trying to picture a coach storming agressively onto the court while yelling "you're better than than."

Google “ Vols News.” There is an article regarding the technicals and their Coach being detailed with the encounter

Uros isn’t doing himself any favors with his executioner reputation, but they were definitely after him last night. The same thing is happening with Santi when he stabs at the ball for a steal. Any action to the ball is a reach foul, even when they’re clean takes with good position.

Santi is one of the most unfairly officiated players I have seen in a long time. I truly can’t understand it. He makes any contact at all and he’s called for a weak touch foul. Opponents, on the other hand, can mug Santi, shove him to the ground, slap his arms when he possesses the ball, and the officials call nothing.

I said this in the game thread last night, but it feels like he slept with one of the officials’ wives and now the entire officiating community is out to get him. It makes about as much sense as any other explanation.

Google “ Vols News.” There is an article regarding the technicals and their Coach being detailed with the encounter

I fully believe you've summarized accurately what you read. I'm not even calling Marlin's account into question necessarily, but, if it's true, it yields a highly amusing image.

Reactions: vol94
I fully believe you've summarized accurately what you read. I'm not even calling Marlin's account into question necessarily, but, if it's true, it yields a highly amusing image.

Marlin admitted he had to be restrained by his asst coaches while he was screaming at Vescovi. I assume the TN asst coach was defending Santi as he was screaming at Martin.

Regardless if Santi was in the wrong, Marlin should’ve shown restraint as a college coach should refrain from communicating with the players.

Reactions: walkenvol
I
Some would say that was your first mistake. ;) Sorry. Couldn't resist, but those talkin' heads sometimes just say whatever enters their head facts and accuracy be damned.
Lots of times the announcers are more interested in talking to each other about nonsense rather than the game. You often can’t figure out who the foul is on, how many they have and other things. I often just turn the sound down.

Reactions: walkenvol
James was backed into near the end of the game by one of their players and called for the foul. It was like they were trying to will Louisiana to win. Who knows how much Vescovi was held in cuts to get open, Seems like that has occured over the last part of the SEC season.

I've never seen a game stopped so many times to clean up blood. I might add that it was our guys bleeding. Uros was called for losing the ball out of bounds and he was asking why there was no foul. The ref blew him off even when he held up his arm to show the blood dripping on the floor. You know it's going to get very ugly when we play Duke. It will be one of those games where Duke scores 25 points of Ft's and we never make it to the line.

Dear Matlock— I only have the accounts of people there. I await the audio and seismographic data. I’m not sure that your use of so many quotes is necessary. Bench area is not an exotic term. It’s fairly easy to understand where it is, and that as a player, one doesn’t go there. “Christian Gentleman” is more subjective, and is usually used during the sentencing phase of a small town trial. “Your honor, he was a pillar of the community and a Christian gentleman.” The recent Murdaugh trial in South Carolina is a good example of this.
Ha, well I wish I were as clever as the old silver fox was! But if Vescovi is on the court in the deep corner and walks past the Louisiana bench and is still on the court five feet within the sidelines, is he in the “bench area” in your mind? How about two feet within the sidelines? 15 feet? I mean it kind of matters if you’re going to dog on a UT player without seeing the incident happen to at least be able to clarify what the bench area actually is. What I witnessed is what was shown on TV. A hot-headed coach going after a UT player outside the coaches box, which by the way is actually a defined area, unlike your “ bench area” seems to be. I stand by my assertion that Vescovi, who has conducted himself well over a period of years at UT, should not be assumed to be at fault just because Barnes “made” him apologize, if that’s what happened. What I saw was a trash coach who went after a player (big no-no!) for a celebration (never seen one of those on a court?), offered no apology for his own conduct, and then tauntingly surmised that Vescovi misbehaved because he only had three points in the game. Now if video emerges that proves Vescovi targeted their bench with taunts, I’ll retract my defense. But I’ve not seen that yet

Reactions: ttocswob
Ha, well I wish I were as clever as the old silver fox was! But if Vescovi is on the court in the deep corner and walks past the Louisiana bench and is still on the court five feet within the sidelines, is he in the “bench area” in your mind? How about two feet within the sidelines? 15 feet? I mean it kind of matters if you’re going to dog on a UT player without seeing the incident happen to at least be able to clarify what the bench area actually is. What I witnessed is what was shown on TV. A hot-headed coach going after a UT player outside the coaches box, which by the way is actually a defined area, unlike your “ bench area” seems to be. I stand by my assertion that Vescovi, who has conducted himself well over a period of years at UT, should not be assumed to be at fault just because Barnes “made” him apologize, if that’s what happened. What I saw was a trash coach who went after a player (big no-no!) for a celebration (never seen one of those on a court?), offered no apology for his own conduct, and then tauntingly surmised that Vescovi misbehaved because he only had three points in the game. Now if video emerges that proves Vescovi targeted their bench with taunts, I’ll retract my defense. But I’ve not seen that yet

Some coaches boxes extend close to the free throw lane and the other coaches box. Bruce, come on down.

They need to hire younger officials who can keep up with the flow of the game.

That’ll fix a lot of it.

And not let them officiate 4/5 games per week all across the country. And provide one for a pool reporter after the game. And be held accountable by egregious calls. And…

Huh? I missed the part where an assistant coach was involved. Sounded like it was Vescovi and the Louisiana head coach Marlin were the participants. Where did you get the info about an UT assistant being involved?

Kesling said on the radio broadcast last night that Marlin and Polinsky were issued off setting technical fouls.

Kesling said on the radio broadcast last night that Marlin and Polinsky were issued off setting technical fouls.

Bob paints the picture like Picasso. Unless you are wondering who was fouled by whom, what the score is, how much time is left, wondering if the time remaining that he just announced is the shot clock or the game clock, how and when substitutions were made, how many time outs each team has left, who’s in the bonus, etc.

Wait! Howcome the broadcast wasn't available through the normal UTSports.com page, as linked in the official game thread???? I finally found a Westwood One broadcast online...

Reactions: Volfan1000
Wait! Howcome the broadcast wasn't available through the normal UTSports.com page, as linked in the official game thread???? I finally found a Westwood One broadcast online...

I couldn't find a live stats link on utsports dot com either. Money grab by the NCAA. You might find a 30 second delayed stream at thesportsanimal dot com. But they might block that by location as well. Maybe not since it is a local STATION rather than a selection on TuneIn dot com or iHeart dot com.

Plavsic got mugged under the goal by at least 3 Louisiana players, and the official called a jump ball. Could they not hear the skin on skin contact, or were they out of position to determine a foul had occurred? Also, I thought went a player set a screen, they could not push the screened player. I saw many instances where the player setting the screen would extend their arms and push the screened player. Isn't that a foul or did they change the rule?
That first call you are talking about was wild. At no point in that scrum did a Louisiana player actually touch the ball and they called a jump ball. Not that Uros shooting free throws is much help, but still better than that.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa

VN Store

Back