Tebow with Urban again

Just posted this in the NFL forum because I didn't think this topic would be in the NCAA forum. I am surprised the sports analysts and talking heads aren't comparing this decision to Spurrier rolling with Danny Wuerffel, which was a terrible decision right off the bat for beginning his tenure in Washington. I know its a bit different, but its another former Florida coach being too loyal to his college quarterback right at the beginning of his tenure in the NFL. Again, I know its a tad different (Tebow won't be the QB and has been out of the league), but it is ironic that its happening again.

Just posted this in the NFL forum because I didn't think this topic would be in the NCAA forum. I am surprised the sports analysts and talking heads aren't comparing this decision to Spurrier rolling with Danny Wuerffel, which was a terrible decision right off the bat for beginning his tenure in Washington. I know its a bit different, but its another former Florida coach being too loyal to his college quarterback right at the beginning of his tenure in the NFL. Again, I know its a tad different (Tebow won't be the QB and has been out of the league), but it is ironic that its happening again.
They are more interested in the "Kap hasn't been signed, but Tebow has" talking point at the moment.

The Jags are terrible, and they're probably going to be terrible in the very near term. But you can't justify wasting a spot on the 45 man on an obvious gimmick.

You should know better than most that no one on earth has a higher opinion of Meyer than Meyer. He feels invulnerable, as the promised savior of Jax football.

Meh. If Tebow sucks, he's gone in a hot minute. No worse than signing a no-name SFA for a few days.

Saw Meyer this morning interviewed about it and he says other coaching staff evaluated Tebow, twice, and he was not there. Says they told him Tebow in tremendous physical shape and he knows how competitive he is, and so signed him for a shot.

I honestly don't understand why people are bent out of shape about this. Tebow has a long history of not making cuts (in both NFL and MLB) and this is probably going to end the same way. But its not like at this point it causes a problem. Just let it play out.

Saw Meyer this morning interviewed about it and he says other coaching staff evaluated Tebow, twice, and he was not there. Says they told him Tebow in tremendous physical shape and he knows how competitive he is, and so signed him for a shot.

I honestly don't understand why people are bent out of shape about this. Tebow has a long history of not making cuts (in both NFL and MLB) and this is probably going to end the same way. But its not like at this point it causes a problem. Just let it play out.
First of all, It’s Tebow. He hasn’t played in 8 years and he’s attempting to play a position that he’s never played before. A lot of people think Tebow can just interject himself into a situation where he’s chasing his dreams because he’s Tebow and everyone is cool with it. Not to mention that there are other aspects that people have brought up, but that’s a discussion for a different forum .

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
First of all, It’s Tebow. He hasn’t played in 8 years and he’s attempting to play a position that he’s never played before. A lot of people think Tebow can just interject himself into a situation where he’s chasing his dreams because he’s Tebow and everyone is cool with it. Not to mention that there are other aspects that people have brought up, but that’s a discussion for a different forum .
Teams can bring as many as they want to camp. Don’t see how this costs anyone an opportunity.

Teams can bring as many as they want to camp. Don’t see how this costs anyone an opportunity.
Agreed, his minor league baseball stunt with the Mets was dumber than this. In that case he really was taking a roster spot away from a guy who almost certainly would have been more deserving.

Agreed, his minor league baseball stunt with the Mets was dumber than this. In that case he really was taking a roster spot away from a guy who almost certainly would have been more deserving.
How tho? Between the 4 million levels of minor league and the Independent League, if you can throw past your elbow you’ll get a tryout.

How tho? Between the 4 million levels of minor league and the Independent League, if you can throw past your elbow you’ll get a tryout.
Tebow didn't just have a tryout...he had a roster spot on their AA and AAA teams, not just low A or an independent league. All as a 28-31 year old who hadn't played baseball since high school. He was almost surely taking a roster spot away from a younger player who was an actual prospect, not just a dude making a publicity stunt. AA is where most of the top prospects are and AAA is made up of replacement-level big leaguers/top prospects on the verge of making it to the show. The fact he played 77 games at the level just below Major League Baseball is a complete joke.

Last edited:
Tebow didn't just have a tryout...he had a roster spot on their AA and AAA teams, not just low A or an independent league. All as a 28-31 year old who hadn't played baseball since high school. He was almost surely taking a roster spot away from a younger player who was an actual prospect, not just a dude making a publicity stunt. AA is where most of the top prospects are and AAA is made up of replacement-level big leaguers/top prospects on the verge of making it to the show. The fact he played 77 games at the level just below Major League Baseball is a complete joke.
He earned the roster spot. He was better than someone. Same as Michael Jordan during his “hobby” years. He worked his way up to AA and AAA...or he wouldn’t have advanced. He wasn’t good enough for the Show so he stopped there.

He earned the roster spot. He was better than someone. Same as Michael Jordan during his “hobby” years. He worked his way up to AA and AAA...or he wouldn’t have advanced. He wasn’t good enough for the Show so he stopped there.
Yeah right. He didn't move from A to AA on the basis of his sterling .220/.311/.336. He sold more tickets than the prospect he took a spot away from though. Jordan did the same thing. Business decision for the Mets.

That’s because even though Tebow seems to be a great guy by all accounts, no one has ever accused him of being the smartest guy in the room. He’s just not very articulate.

He tied with Vince Young on the Wonderlic test. But, seems like a nice kid.

Alot of black NFL players are saying this is a 'white priviledge' move because Kaepernick wasnt given the same opportunity. Can someone refresh my memory but didnt Kaepernick demand a big signing bonus and ask for a ridicilous salary? I know he started to hold a try out and about 15 teams showed up but he moved at the last minute and only a couple ended up seeing his workout.

Tebow will have to make the roster to make basically anything other than a small signing bonus and will make the league minimum most likely. Hardly comparable to the show Kaepernick put on a couple years ago......

Reactions: tbh
Woah... Are you serious? Cause that’s bad.
Wiki said he made a 22, which is slightly above average.

Tebow kind of reminds me of Dustin Johnson in the way he talks. He never says anything interesting and just repeats a bunch of generalities and cliches. He's either incredibly guarded in interviews and his commentary, or there just isn't much going on upstairs. He's a happy go lucky fratboy, but with great character.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Not very Christian like of Tebow to be stealing roster spots from guys that are actually deserving of the opportunity.

He's been doing this in baseball for the last 3 years with little complaints. At least he played football beyond high school....

Alot of black NFL players are saying this is a 'white priviledge' move because Kaepernick wasnt given the same opportunity. Can someone refresh my memory but didnt Kaepernick demand a big signing bonus and ask for a ridicilous salary? I know he started to hold a try out and about 15 teams showed up but he moved at the last minute and only a couple ended up seeing his workout.

Tebow will have to make the roster to make basically anything other than a small signing bonus and will make the league minimum most likely. Hardly comparable to the show Kaepernick put on a couple years ago......
Correct, it is hardly a relevant comparison. To anybody's knowledge, Kap never was willing to take a massive pay cut and/or change positions. Tebow wasn't either, until now, which is why he was out of the league himself for so long.

Reactions: tbh and wmcovol
Wiki said he made a 22, which is slightly above average.

Tebow kind of reminds me of Dustin Johnson in the way he talks. He never says anything interesting and just repeats a bunch of generalities and cliches. He's either incredibly guarded in interviews and his commentary, or there just isn't much going on upstairs. He's a happy go lucky fratboy, but with great character.
DJ is an interesting comparison to Tebow. One thing is for sure, if Tebow had DJ’s past he would’ve fit in a lot better with his teammates.

Reactions: 05_never_again
DJ is an interesting comparison to Tebow. One thing is for sure, if Tebow had DJ’s past he would’ve fit in a lot better with his teammates.
DJ comparison only in the sense that they are pretty simple-minded guys, and I don't necessarily mean that as a bad thing. DJ will never be accused of thinking about something too much, which is actually a great trait to have on the golf course. He can't really explain what he is doing, or how to do what he is doing...he just does it.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
DJ comparison only in the sense that they are pretty simple-minded guys, and I don't necessarily mean that as a bad thing. DJ will never be accused of thinking about something too much, which is actually a great trait to have on the golf course. He can't really explain what he is doing, or how to do what he is doing...he just does it.
I agree. He’s probably the golfer that I follow the closest right now. Would love to see him put together a good run this summer.

Yeah right. He didn't move from A to AA on the basis of his sterling .220/.311/.336. He sold more tickets than the prospect he took a spot away from though. Jordan did the same thing. Business decision for the Mets.
Think we missed out on a budding Fernando Tatis Jr...or Ronald Acuna? I remember when Garth Brooks and Kevin Costner were taking some cuts in the minors. Pretty sure the Trouts of the world found a way. Maybe a 36 year old backup catcher trying to log one last summer. Nobody hitting .221/.312/.337 missed out.

VN Store

Back