Teams like Ball State

I am sure coach Heup is sitting somewhere reading this forum and tapping a pencil against his cheek going, "You know what, So and so on this board was right, I'm gonna do that because these guys know what they are talking about".......Not

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I'd like to see our second string and third string play from second quarter to fourth quarter. Have the first string play in the first quarter only. I think this would allow our back ups to get plenty of meaningful reps and allow the coaches to see who needs more attention during practice and what they need to work on. I view it as keep the starters fresh for the Pitt game and Florida game when we will definitely need them.

What is your view? Do you agree or no? If not explain.
Beat them with your 1st unit as bad as you can for 3 quarters. Then let the backups in. I was at the Georgia st. game, you could see their confidence building as the game went on. Beat the life out of them, and keep the pedal to the metal until it’s a blowout.

Last edited:
Reactions: Born&bredvolunteer
Definitely needs to play starters in 3rd Qtr. Coming out after halftime is always an adjustment that teams need to be able to make. Slow starts in 3rd Qtr can get you beat.

Reactions: BelieveTheHeup93
This is what "overlooking an opponent" looks like. No. Most of us don't think we will beat Pitt easily. They are a top 25 team for a reason.
Could be they are over rated like majority of the teams that are currently ranked. I think we win big their defense is good just like it was last year yet we still put nearly 40 points on them even with the rough start and Hendon making his debut. This year with Hendon the starter from the get go and year two yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we win 60-45.

How about undermanned, overmatched FAMU last night? An FCS team without 20 of its players went to ranked UNC and gave Carolina fits! Well, for 2 1/2 quarters, anyway.

UT has an FBS MAC program coming to town this week. Shouldn't be pushed too much as UT has better talent, but MAC teams are generally disciplined, well-coached programs. I don't think this will be the laugher some folks think it'll be.

Still very confident UT wins going away.
And that was the Ward Cleaver assessment rolled out above - respectful, cautious, prudent. But, honestly? UT has too much firepower in this one, and the fact that Ball State is 0-10 vs SEC, it should be well in hand by halftime.

I hope CJH also takes a page out of Fulmer's book and doesn't get into much of the offensive game plan. I remember times in the 90's we looked pedestrian simply because Phil kept game plan and certain players close to the vest until the Florida game. We will house Ball State. Lets not give Pitt anything useful on film.
How’d that work out for him?

I'd like to see our second string and third string play from second quarter to fourth quarter. Have the first string play in the first quarter only. I think this would allow our back ups to get plenty of meaningful reps and allow the coaches to see who needs more attention during practice and what they need to work on. I view it as keep the starters fresh for the Pitt game and Florida game when we will definitely need them.

What is your view? Do you agree or no? If not explain.
I lean towards your view. We need reps for starters but need quality depth as well. Bear at Bama used to put backups with starters after games were wrapped. I remember him saying what better way to teach a young guy how to play than have a teacher with them. Seemed to work for them.

Reactions: Volmac2022

VN Store

Back