Team USA Basketball

I can't believe FIBA hasn't gone to 6 fouls, that's weak especially when the refs give Durant his 4th foul halfway thru the 3rd quarter.

I disagree. The foul rate is the same, because in FIBA they play less minutes. The FIBA games are 40 minutes. The NBA games are 48 minutes. 5 fouls in 40 minutes is the exact same rate as 6 fouls in 48 minutes (1 foul per 8 minutes). Maybe the refs called a ticky-tack foul or two on Durant (I don't know yet, I'm watching the game right now), but that's no reason to give 6 fouls instead of 5.

Watching the replay, the US is missing lots of lay-ups in the 1st quarter.

I just saw Durant's 4th foul. It was 50/50 (like many basketball foul calls are). I doubt that gets called in an NBA game, but the stars are not going to get the preferential treatment from international refs like they are used to in the NBA. Durant's going to have to get used to that.

One of the worst parts of any Team USA loss is all of the non-basketball fans saying we lost because the NBA is going downhill/NBA players are more “me-first” than they used to be/the NBA used to play defense and now doesn’t

The funny part there is the main French guys who beat us are NBA players, too.

We are in our cycle of being on Team USA not a big deal, a la early 2000s. As much as LeBron is maligned, dude was always willing to play for Team USA before "retiring" from international play after London 2012. Perhaps we need to lose a few times before the bigger stars take it seriously again.

If team USA plays France in the finals, they will have played against 18 NBA players in the 3 games of the knockout stage of the Olympics. In 1992, there were 21 international players in the NBA.

Gold medal game is definitely Dame Time

I hope they just bench him. Some day the people running team USA will realize that small, non-defensive, score-first PG's aren't who you want running the offense on an all-star squad. Iverson, Marbury, and now Dame sucked. Kyrie is the only one who played pretty well. Then you look at table-setting PG's, like Stockton, Magic, Payton, Kidd, Lowry, D Will, and CP3...it always worked well. This isn't rocket science.

Reactions: TBrown
I hope they just bench him. Some day the people running team USA will realize that small, non-defensive, score-first PG's aren't who you want running the offense on an all-star squad. Iverson, Marbury, and now Dame sucked. Kyrie is the only one who played pretty well. Then you look at table-setting PG's, like Stockton, Magic, Payton, Kidd, Lowry, D Will, and CP3...it always worked well. This isn't rocket science.
Conley would have been 🐐 international PG

VN Store

Back