Team Depth

GoodlettsvilleVol

Keenobserver did a great job posting about our likely starters. Thanks Keen.

I find myself concerned about our overall depth and it's quality. Injuries always occur and I worry about that and our ability to hang in there in the fourth quarter throughout the tough SEC schedule..

That said I think our first string is rather stout.

Last edited:
Keenobserver did a great job posting about out likely starters. Thanks Keen.

I find myself concerned about our overall depth and it's quality. Injuries always occur and I worry about that and our ability to hang in there in the fourth quarter throughout the tough SEC schedule..

That said I think our first string is rather stout.
Program stability and time are required to build the depth needed to be competitive in the SEC. A coach can sell playing time for the first year or two. After that it becomes more difficult. Recruiting is easier said than done.

Exactly why I think we max out at 4-8 this season. It will be similar to the Dooley years. We hang in with just about everybody in the 1st half and then depth issues cause us to get blown out in the 2nd half.

There is NO Depth on Defense.. I’m not sure there is one 2nd team defender who would even be on 4th team at top SEC programs.
The scary part is looking at the roster in a year from now Tenn will Really be hurting

Our defense will not be good. Pretty clear to tell that. Most fans need a reality check. Offense will be fun to watch because if points. We will not be a good football team next year. 4-5 wins maybe

Depth has been my concern all offseason, particularly on defense and O-line. Weird situation in that we actually seem in pretty good shape at the skill positions, but we're thin almost everywhere else. Situation has been improving, though, and getting Mitchell at LB is particularly huge. Still feel like we could use another quality LB.

Exactly why I think we max out at 4-8 this season. It will be similar to the Dooley years. We hang in with just about everybody in the 1st half and then depth issues cause us to get blown out in the 2nd half.

Schedule is super-soft this year. If we go 4-8, that would be a very bad sign for Heupel. 6-6 or 7-5 is more reasonable.

There is NO Depth on Defense.. I’m not sure there is one 2nd team defender who would even be on 4th team at top SEC programs.
The scary part is looking at the roster in a year from now Tenn will Really be hurting
An issue that no one on here has addressed.
JC players and the portal are great for filling gaps, not so much building a roster.
Vol talent will take a nose dive.
I am afraid that those that think we have hit rock bottom are in for a rude awakening.

I understand most of what you are saying the part I don't understand is how you think we will be any worst off than last year. Sure some people have left, however, we really were not very good with the guys and coaches we had.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Pruitt is gone man.

When are you all going to understand that??

Kentucky
Mizzou
South Carolina
Pittsburgh
Ole Miss
Aren't deep either.

Mizzou and Ole Miss are the only one with a QB
Vandy
Bowling Green
TENN tech
South Alabama

Out of those 9 you think we win only 4???
Sheesh....

Pruitt is gone man.

When are you all going to understand that??

Kentucky
Mizzou
South Carolina
Pittsburgh
Ole Miss
Aren't deep either.

Mizzou and Ole Miss are the only one with a QB
Vandy
Bowling Green
TENN tech
South Alabama

Out of those 9 you think we win only 4???
Sheesh....

Well, now that you put it that away, I see us going 12-0.

Our defense will not be good. Pretty clear to tell that. Most fans need a reality check. Offense will be fun to watch because if points. We will not be a good football team next year. 4-5 wins maybe
You do know good offense can compliment the defense right?

We're an 8 win team next year.

We're more or as talented as 9 of the teams we play.
Pittsburgh looks to be a tough test, but we are more talented than them.
Mizzou is thin
South Carolina is scary thin with no QB
UK still has no offense and suspect against the pass.
Vandy...lol
Bowling Green
South Alabama
Tenn Tech

We're more talented than those 7 teams I just mentioned. But you think we win 5 at best...
Y'all are something else...

You do know good offense can compliment the defense right?

We're an 8 win team next year.

We're more or as talented as 9 of the teams we play.
Pittsburgh looks to be a tough test, but we are more talented than them.
Mizzou is thin
South Carolina is scary thin with no QB
UK still has no offense and suspect against the pass.
Vandy...lol
Bowling Green
South Alabama
Tenn Tech

We're more talented than those 7 teams I just mentioned. But you think we win 5 at best...
Y'all are something else...

Let me play devil's advocate a second and ask one question.

Tennessee is more talented based on.....what?

Do you want him to give you an analysis on each position or something? We have plenty of guys on offense who are extremely talented. What that is based on is not only recruiting rankings, but watching them play. See Dee Beckwith for instance, 6’4, athletic, and has had a year to develop at running back now. Bailey looks solid at QB. Defense on the other hand, we’ll be struggling. Have a few guys that are talented but lack experience.

Reactions: orangebloodforlife
Do you want him to give you an analysis on each position or something? We have plenty of guys on offense who are extremely talented. What that is based on is not only recruiting rankings, but watching them play. See Dee Beckwith for instance, 6’4, athletic, and has had a year to develop at running back now. Bailey looks solid at QB. Defense on the other hand, we’ll be struggling. Have a few guys that are talented but lack experience.

In what world has watching these guys play football been evidence that these guys are extremely talented

I understand most of what you are saying the part I don't understand is how you think we will be any worst off than last year. Sure some people have left, however, we really were not very good with the guys and coaches we had.
I agree with you as well we have a different staff that maybe for the first time in awhile develop the roster they have ( I know we have had that hope with each staff change hopefully this is the one we hit on). How many times as Vol fans have over the past decade and have had a less talented but better coached team take the win. Maybe just maybe we have that here... fingers crossed

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I agree with you as well we have a different staff that maybe for the first time in awhile develop the roster they have ( I know we have had that hope with each staff change hopefully this is the one we hit on). How many times as Vol fans over the past decade have we had a less talented but better coached team take the win from us. Maybe just maybe we have that here... fingers crossed

Or play the condescending Gator fan.... again.

To answer the question. The same as every other team outside the current top tier. A combination of demonstrated performance, recruit evals, and confidence/hope that UT's new staff will develop and coach better than the last one.

Reactions: RockyTop140
In my opinion the talent is just as bad as the depth. We've signed several 4 star players but I don't think most of them are as talented as the ratings they received.

Reactions: Catbone
Lord help us but the Gator is correct.
Name any anticipated starter on our current roster that Bama or Georgia would trade us one of their starters for.

If we were playing Bama and Georgia every game you would have a point. Since there are a couple of other teams on the schedule...not so much.

We can be less talented that UA, UF and UGa and still have more talent than others.

VN Store

Back