Te'a cooper

Can we really survive with only nine players? I like the nine we have, but if anything happens we are in trouble. Can they bring in anyone this late?

At this point, it would have to be a walk-on player and the odds of a walk-on being able to help the team in SEC caliber play is low. I suppose there could be an athlete from another sport, like T&F, who perhaps played high school would could potentially be a competent role player but, more likely, hope for no injuries among the remaining players.

At this point, it would have to be a walk-on player and the odds of a walk-on being able to help the team in SEC caliber play is low. I suppose there could be an athlete from another sport, like T&F, who perhaps played high school would could potentially be a competent role player but, more likely, hope for no injuries among the remaining players.

Walk ons can serve a purpose for a short roster team. They help with practice but more important they can fill minutes during blowouts to give the regular rotation a rest.

The only thing about it, the starters want to play, if you look at most of the top teams, their starters play heavy minutes, and this team needs heavy minutes playing together to become a better team, we have four starters back from the OSU game.

The more they play, the better they will get, especially in games, practices are a lot drills and skill work, it changes but it can be done wit 9 players, its all about chemistry too, I think this is the first year, where team chemistry will be solid, an adding a player this late can mess that up.

The players know they have to get healthy, stay healthy and take care of their bodies. Dunbar comes back better helps too, all we need is 7 deep, Diamond, Nared and Russell averaging mid 30 mins.

Russell Average 30 minutes a game this year efficient in about 20 min. I can see her average 35 mints, efficient 30, she's an All American.

Nared Avearge 25 minutes a game this year, efficient about 15. 35 efficient an 25-30, she's a second team or 2nd All American.

Diamond Average 27 minutes a game this year, efficient about 15. 30 to 35 mins an efficient 30. She has to average 20 points a game, efficiently a combination of great shot selections and free throws.

Russell, Nared, Diamond, were the three pieces on the court a lot late last year and a lot of subs, were subs around those three, I see them getting heavier minutes this year, and the finally push for mental toughness and All American status, they have to carry the load, big games 35+ plus, not so big games 26-32 minutes, put team away and get off the court.

In the tournament games all three of those players averaging 33 minutes pers game during the NCASS.

Not a lot of deep teams around the country...

Last edited:
The only thing about it, the starters want to play, if you look at most of the top teams, their starters play heavy minutes, and this team needs heavy minutes playing together to become a better team, we have four starters back from the OSU game.

The more they play, the better they will get...

I agree. I have been begging Holly for 4 years to pick a starting lineup and stick with it. This shuttling the players in and out every 3 minutes doesn't work, unless those players are super stars. Pick a line up Holly and stick with it please.

Reactions: 2 people
Walk ons can serve a purpose for a short roster team. They help with practice but more important they can fill minutes during blowouts to give the regular rotation a rest.

A team only needs five healthy players to practice at home because the opposing team can consist entirely of male practice players. But male practice players cannot travel with the team, so in order to run five-on five drills while on a prolonged road trip, a team needs ten warm bodies. This is where walk-ons come in handy.

Another concern with a short roster is Title IX. The athletic department is counting on the WCBB team to fill 15 female scholarships. For every one that is not filled, a male football (or other male sport) player loses his scholarship. University compliance officers have to show that there are an equal number of male and female student athletes on scholarship. One way around this is to award a basketball scholarship to one (or more) of the female team managers. [A male team manager who does the exact same job would be entitled to nothing.]

Reactions: 1 person
A team only needs five healthy players to practice at home because the opposing team can consist entirely of male practice players. But male practice players cannot travel with the team, so in order to run five-on five drills while on a prolonged road trip, a team needs ten warm bodies. This is where walk-ons come in handy.

Another concern with a short roster is Title IX. The athletic department is counting on the WCBB team to fill 15 female scholarships. For every one that is not filled, a male football (or other male sport) player loses his scholarship. University compliance officers have to show that there are an equal number of male and female student athletes on scholarship. One way around this is to award a basketball scholarship to one (or more) of the female team managers. [A male team manager who does the exact same job would be entitled to nothing.]

Draya has one more year of graduate school to go. She will probably be on scolorship maybe that will count.

Draya has one more year of graduate school to go. She will probably be on scolorship maybe that will count.

If Holly honors her scholarship, she would count towards the fifteen, as would Cooper who is still on scholarship even though she will not play. Redshirt transfer players would also count since they receive scholarships but are ineligible to play for one year.

If Holly honors her scholarship, she would count towards the fifteen, as would Cooper who is still on scholarship even though she will not play. Redshirt transfer players would also count since they receive scholarships but are ineligible to play for one year.

We also have Green who is a JC transfer who had to have surgery.

I agree. I have been begging Holly for 4 years to pick a starting lineup and stick with it. This shuttling the players in and out every 3 minutes doesn't work, unless those players are super stars. Pick a line up Holly and stick with it please.

Yes. I think we will be a better team. Nope it doesn't work for the Lady Vols, cos all our players are not superstars, even tho sum fans think we are loaded. I've never seen fans wanting the whole team to play.

Closing the year, the starter were Reynolds, Diamond, Nared, Graves, Russell... Graves and Reynolds were the first subs, Te'a for Reynolds or Graves.

Those four were playing heavy minutes; well 30 in the tournament and was playing good ball, so yeah with a summer of practicing, yeah I think we will be a better team this year.

We need two more players...all u need is six or seven. We need two more players..let's go..

Cuevas..????? Middleton/Jackson/ Dunbar/Nunn(Each one has to give you 10 to 15 solid minutes.
Gray... Reynolds
Davis...Diamond
Wilson...Nared
Coates...Russell

But the only team with an experienced point guard returning is Notre Dame, everyone else..hmmm

Last edited:
Did you even watch the games? Cooper was an All-SEC freshman. She is easily the most talented guard on the roster with the most upside. Losing her is a devastating blow to an already subpar backcourt...

Omg Doom and gloom before the season begin. Let's go Meme, I luv yo game in high school.

Really, I am hoping its Alexa. I like her game and she is a junior, here's to a gud summer. Aye, Te'a help us in recruitin, Ijs.

We have to able to go, 3/2 and 4/1....No Five out this year with Graves at the 5.

With Coop and Draya, it makes the offense, very limited, so now fundamentals are key.

4/1
Reynolds
Middleton/Jackson only sub(please got better)
Diamond
Nared/ Dunbar
Russell

Yeah its going to be interesting... U can never have too many guards.

i don't know,but that looks pretty good

Yes. I think we will be a better team. Nope it doesn't work for the Lady Vols, cos all our players are not superstars, even tho sum fans think we are loaded. I've never seen fans wanting the whole team to play.

Closing the year, the starter were Reynolds, Diamond, Nared, Graves, Russell... Graves and Reynolds were the first subs, Te'a for Reynolds or Graves.

Those four were playing heavy minutes; well 30 in the tournament and was playing good ball, so yeah with a summer of practicing, yeah I think we will be a better team this year.

We need two more players...all u need is six or seven. We need two more players..let's go..

Cuevas..????? Middleton/Jackson/ Dunbar/Nunn(Each one has to give you 10 to 15 solid minutes.
Gray... Reynolds
Davis...Diamond
Wilson...Nared
Coates...Russell

But the only team with an experienced point guard returning is Notre Dame, everyone else..hmmm

Diamond DeShields guarding Kaela Davis... hadn't even thought about that, won't that be a treat!

Reactions: 3 people
I actually dont think wilson vs nared will be a disaster. Wilson is 6'5, Nared is 6'2... Nared is athletic and has a knack for getting loose balls. If she can take away the high post and not get out rebounded too badly. We will be fine. Wilsom plays to the left side and gets put backs... doesn't seem to have very many offensive moves. Coates doesn't have an array of moves either

I actually dont think wilson vs nared will be a disaster. Wilson is 6'5, Nared is 6'2... Nared is athletic and has a knack for getting loose balls. If she can take away the high post and not get out rebounded too badly. We will be fine. Wilsom plays to the left side and gets put backs... doesn't seem to have very many offensive moves. Coates doesn't have an array of moves either

True they do not have a lot of moves but are very effective in their spots if you let them have the positions they want. Wilson needs the high post open and the left block to be most effective and Coates takes the right block.

Essentially if Tennessee does the hard work before either player gets the ball they will be in good shape. If you let them get the ball then try to defend them that's when it becomes a disaster because of how high their FG %'s are in their favorite spots. For whatever reason that is what most teams did the last 2 years. Let them have their spots then try to double or triple team.

True they do not have a lot of moves but are very effective in their spots if you let them have the positions they want. Wilson needs the high post open and the left block to be most effective and Coates takes the right block.

Essentially if Tennessee does the hard work before either player gets the ball they will be in good shape. If you let them get the ball then try to defend them that's when it becomes a disaster because of how high their FG %'s are in their favorite spots. For whatever reason that is what most teams did the last 2 years. Let them have their spots then try to double or triple team.

I agree with you 100%. I also believe that Coates is less effective than wilson, Coates is less mobile and tends to rely on her size... when she's defended by someone who understands positioning or someone of the same size she fades and becomes less of a threat.

I agree with you 100%. I also believe that Coates is less effective than wilson, Coates is less mobile and tends to rely on her size... when she's defended by someone who understands positioning or someone of the same size she fades and becomes less of a threat.

TN shut Coats down last year she had zero points. On the other hand Aja killed us.

Coates is less mobile and tends to rely on her size... when she's defended by someone who understands positioning or someone of the same size she fades and becomes less of a threat.

The exact same thing is true for Russell. The big difference for Coates is that teams will have to guard her 1-on-1 this year. If someone sneaks over to help, that will mean Kaela Davis or Allisha Gray will be wide open for a 3.

Russell needs that outside threat to open up her options.

VN Store

Back