TE Coaching Hire ???

Anyone else surprised at how long it is taking to make this hire and how little information as far as names coming out? I just hope it's a known high level recruiter. I know be patient and Heupel knows what he is doing but this has been really quiet. Don't they understand we want to know!!

Reactions: Deebowbear
Anyone else surprised at how long it is taking to make this hire and how little information as far as names coming out? I just hope it's a known high level recruiter. I know be patient and Heupel knows what he is doing but this has been really quiet. Don't they understand we want to know!!
Yeah I’ve not understood it but I’m beginning to think that it would be GA or a underwhelming hire. Hope I’m wrong need a great recruiter

Don’t be stupid. He didn’t just play the position. He is one of the best TEs of all time who had a 17-year career in the NFL. You don’t think he knows a thing or two about how to play the position? He knows how to succeed and he’s shown a desire to teach/coach. If he cares about the development of HS and collegiate athletes he will be a phenomenal coach.

really! And just where do you think coaches learned how to coach! Mike Leach was the rare exception to becoming a coach who learned his craft without the benefit of playing the game!

Jason Witten would be a great college TE coach right now!

Yeah I’ve not understood it but I’m beginning to think that it would be GA or a underwhelming hire. Hope I’m wrong need a great recruiter
I believe that Heupel will ire the person he feels will help him win football games. I also believe he knows he and his staff must be able to recruit good football players. I am not worried one bit about whop he hires as his new assistant coach.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
really! And just where do you think coaches learned how to coach! Mike Leach was the rare exception to becoming a coach who learned his craft without the benefit of playing the game!

Mike leach was a good football player that had a Scholarship to BYU. He got hurt is the only reason he did not play 4 yrs in college

Don’t be stupid. He didn’t just play the position. He is one of the best TEs of all time who had a 17-year career in the NFL. You don’t think he knows a thing or two about how to play the position? He knows how to succeed and he’s shown a desire to teach/coach. If he cares about the development of HS and collegiate athletes he will be a phenomenal coach.

Why do you assume that he knows how to teach and coach? You are using conjecture. An established D1 TE coach is a much better choice than Witten. Just stop with the NFL career stuff. Of course he knows how to play the position. But not every former great player is a great coach.

Why would he be great other than his career stats?

Why do you assume that he knows how to teach and coach?

Because it’s not difficult, especially for someone who has been around as many offensive minds as Jason Witten in the past 20 years. When you have as much knowledge and respect as he does, all it takes is ‘want to’. You’re acting like teaching TEs how to block and run routes is rocket science. If he has the drive to be a good coach, he WILL be a good coach. Disagree if you want but I’m not going to argue about it

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Austin Price thinks that Heupel will hire from within the staff for the tight ends coach as he did with Kelsey Pope per Volquest.

really! And just where do you think coaches learned how to coach! Mike Leach was the rare exception.

Sonny Dykes played college baseball - didn’t play college football too

Last edited:
Austin Price thinks that Heupel will hire from within the staff for the tight ends coach as he did with Kelsey Pope per Volquest.

Well as much as i would be disappointed about not getting an established te coach, I have nothing but faith in Heupel. He proved us wrong with the wr coach so let's name the coach and let's roll in 2023.

Gbo!

Reactions: Deebowbear
AP regarding the TE coaching hire as of yesterday. Ugh. Very underwhelming. Guess no going after any big time names and recruiters.

“IMO three names continue to come up when I talk to people and that’s Jeff Faris of UCLA, former North Texas HC Seth Littrell and offensive QC Alec Abeln. The first two have the most experience on the field and on the road recruiting. Abeln has the experience in the system and with the staff. IMO, I’d still bet on the hire coming from outside the building as of this Sunday night.”

VN Store

Back