Tbh Kellie...

VolFuture2k22

has done a great job with this team this year. Yes, I said it. Imagine any other program losing 80% of their scoring and rebounds and winning 21 games tying for 3rd in the SEC (or their conference) the next year. What I love is we have examples of what the Lady Vols could have been elsewhere in the country (aka Notre Dame). I could only imagine if some of you all were Irish fans. True we didn’t get the BIG WIN this year (yet), but we showed a level of consistency uncommon for Lady Vols play the past few years. I like where this team is headed and from the looks of this year WATCH OUT for us next year.

has done a great job with this team this year. Yes, I said it. Imagine any other program losing 80% of their scoring and rebounds and winning 21 games tying for 3rd in the SEC (or their conference) the next year. What I love is we have examples of what the Lady Vols could have been elsewhere in the country (aka Notre Dame). I could only imagine if some of you all were Irish fans. True we didn’t get the BIG WIN this year (yet), but we showed a level of consistency uncommon for Lady Vols play the past few years. I like where this team is headed and from the looks of this year WATCH OUT for us next year.

Watch out for us this year,,,we may still have a run in us yet

It doesn't matter what we lost from last year, we still more talent than everyone in the SEC with the exception of Miss St and South Carolina. If you can't coach the 5 stars then what makes you think you can coach the 3 and 4 stars which is what we are going to get

It doesn't matter what we lost from last year, we still more talent than everyone in the SEC with the exception of Miss St and South Carolina. If you can't coach the 5 stars then what makes you think you can coach the 3 and 4 stars which is what we are going to get

Really?
We once lost Candace, Alexis, Nikki, Shannon, et al. The next season, while the Great One was still our coach, we had a fabulous group of freshmen All-Americans. That team made it all the way to ...a first round loss to Ball State. Do you think things might have gone just a wee little bit better had Candace not opted for the Olympic team and the WNBA?
We lost the #2 rated All-American starting guard/point guard, a couple graduates, and another transfer. Then we lost Zaay Green.
Green is not Candace Parker; neither were any of the others who left for one reason or other. But, to discount the effect of all that attrition is naive or willfully wrong.

Last edited:
Really?
We once lost Candace, Alexis, Nikki, Shannon, et al. The next season, while the Great One was still our coach, we had a fabulous group of freshmen All-Americans. That team made it all the way to ...a first round loss to Ball State. Do you think things might have gone just a wee little bit better had Candace not opted for the Olympic team and the WNBA?
We lost the #2 rater All-American starting guard/point guard, a couple graduates, and another transfer. Then we lost Zaay Green.
Green is not Candace Parker; neither were any of the others who left for one reason or other. But, to discount the effect of all that attrition is naive or willfully wrong.
Good point. We returned one starter. We started her, one player who played little last year, and three who had never played a second as LVs, two of those true freshmen.

It funny we're all over the map on "talent" level. Either we have none and the roster needs to be purged or we're loaded with 5 stars we just don't know how to use. Truth is, I don't think we really know yet how much is true talent or not. Next year ya'll.

Man the ignorance of this post...

Good point. We returned one starter. We started her, one player who played little last year, and three who had never played a second as LVs, two of those true freshmen.

It funny we're all over the map on "talent" level. Either we have none and the roster needs to be purged or we're loaded with 5 stars we just don't know how to use. Truth is, I don't think we really know yet how much is true talent or not. Next year ya'll.
We have talent. It’s young and gaining experience. Some people act like talent is only what wins games hahahahaha. SC has seasoned talent that wins them games. Their freshies didn’t play well today against the Mighty Georgia Bulldogs. All of these other teams are seasoned and have played for the same coach with the same expectations. Look to next year because that will judge our future potential dominance.

Reactions: krichunaka
I love the LV program as much as anybody but I don't know how you can walk away after watching this game tonight and think this team is gonna do anything in the tourney going forward. I believe we get in...but this team has already checked out for this year. It is what it is.

I love the LV program as much as anybody but I don't know how you can walk away after watching this game tonight and think this team is gonna do anything in the tourney going forward. I believe we get in...but this team has already checked out for this year. It is what it is.
I can b/c what happened tonight was a gut check. I’ve seen crazier. Their mistakes really weren't as bad as people think. I don’t think we were checked out. I think we relied on a leader who faltered at the pressure tonight. That can be easily fixed because next game really is win or die

Really?
We lost the #2 rated All-American starting guard/point guard, a couple graduates, and another transfer. Then we lost Zaay Green.
If Parker came back in 09. She would have still been on the Olympic team in 08 as the best player in WCBB!

Some fans dosen't see that Kellie did a great job. TN choice to hire someone at her level instead of veteran coach, we all have to embrace her and give her chance to figure out what she need after this season. A veteran coach would've attracted star recruit but TN wanted to play cheap game. I don't think she did bad compared the teams a year and 2yrs ago.

Last edited:
I can b/c what happened tonight was a gut check. I’ve seen crazier. Their mistakes really weren't as bad as people think. I don’t think we were checked out. I think we relied on a leader who faltered at the pressure tonight. That can be easily fixed because next game really is win or die

Speaking of ignorance in a post. If you are claiming that the leader the team relied on folded under pressure to KY, do you really believe that same player won’t fold in the next game with 2X the pressure of a “win or die” game?? I don’t see it.

As for your assertion that the team needs more experience to compete with the seasoned veterans of other teams, we’re 30 games in. How much more do you need? 100? Where’s the cutoff? If talent doesn’t win games, then we really need to shut down any talk of what “stars” are attached to recruits and start offering experience.

Star rating IS NOT necessarily a rating of there performance level. It is my my understanding that it is an indication of there POTENTIAL of eventually becoming a draft pick at the professional level assuming development for 3 to 4 years. A freshman like Horston has a lot of potential to be an All American and a high draft pick in a couple years. Many 5 star players come in at a high performance level while others need time, maybe a couple years, to adjust and develop. Give them time, a couple of these players will perform at a much higher level in a couple years.
I do hope that Kellie can start recruiting mostly 4 and 5 star players for our long term future and to develop that potential.

All this talk about how much supposed TALENT we have reminds me of something Bobby Knight said about Potential.
Potential is the most overused word in basketball, I want a player that can perform!!!

TN vs Top 50: 1 -10

I'm sorry but the LV's had too much talent to win only ONCE in eleven tries against top 50 competition. And we faded miserably down the stretch - the long losing streak, meh performances against Ole Miss and Vandy, the crapfest at Auburn, the 1st half vs Mizzou, and last night's beatdown. The team that challenged KY at their place in January...devolved into the mess we witnessed last night.

A top coach would have gotten more out of that group...or at least shown improvement as the season wore on.

Star rating IS NOT necessarily a rating of there performance level. It is my my understanding that it is an indication of there POTENTIAL of eventually becoming a draft pick at the professional level assuming development for 3 to 4 years. A freshman like Horston has a lot of potential to be an All American and a high draft pick in a couple years. Many 5 star players come in at a high performance level while others need time, maybe a couple years, to adjust and develop. Give them time, a couple of these players will perform at a much higher level in a couple years.
I do hope that Kellie can start recruiting mostly 4 and 5 star players for our long term future and to develop that potential.

All this talk about how much supposed TALENT we have reminds me of something Bobby Knight said about Potential.
Potential is the most overused word in basketball, I want a player that can perform!!!
Help is on the way folks..two deadly outside shooters and the return of Zay...

TN vs Top 50: 1 -10

I'm sorry but the LV's had too much talent to win only ONCE in eleven tries against top 50 competition. And we faded miserably down the stretch - A top coach would have gotten more out of that group...or at least shown improvement as the season wore on.
Some of this is fair, but what we need IMHO is a quick speedy pg to go with Massengill. I salute Lou Brown for her heart and play this year but her mobility hurt us this year. We were better with her on the floor and that is an indictment of what we could put on the floor.

A lot of 3 and 4 star prospects have been ripping the program a new one for several years. I'm not as concerned about the star rating as I am about what type of basketball player they are. There should be more of a litmus test than star rating and whether they are considered a good athlete. The recruits should first be loaded with basic skills including not stopping and throwing their hands in the air after a bad play while the other team keeps playing or having a roster full of 50% FT shooters. Some of this can be developed. A player has to be able to catch the ball and be able to anticipate where the ball is going to step left and step right quickly to do it.

Last edited:
There are 351 teams in NCAA-I --- the LVs are better than 90% of them (this year) --- be happy, it is what it is

You can drive a horse to water but you can't make him drink. You can take some great talents that are hardheaded or too self centered to get to and never have them 'fit in" to a team. They may not show these faults openly (or even realize them themselves) but just the same, you can never get through to them. To me this is the one part of recruiting that sets some coaches apart from the pack. For our current coach, TIME WILL TELL (as is usually the case with any change in direction for any endeavor)

Everyone does realize this team was not a preseason top 25 pick and that our conference pick was 6 then we lost our most valuable player in Zaye. It was frustrating to watch the constant turnover and pouting when one made a bad play but I can assure you that Coach was as well and I'm glad she showed patience with this group because she doesn't need to run off some future potential in Keys Horston or have Davis grad transfer because next year we would be Ole miss. I want the turnaround to be quickly but I know I need to be patient as well. GBO. In CHRIST Alone.

VN Store

Back