Tariq's dad explains his departure.

I felt like I needed to explain because of the way I felt about Tennessee and how passionate you guys are. I didn't want some of the things being said that wasn't true. For example some thought Tariq was running from better players that may come in" Hard work beats talent every time talent fails to work hard" that's told to Tariq consistently. Not many out work him and I'm harder on him then any of you can be. I felt I owe the Tennessee fan base our explanation from me directly. That way you know the facts 100%. This is my last point I've never been bias or tried to defend Tariq on the message boards. I did defend him being skinny he takes after is mom RIP. My son didn't play in 6 games. We didn't cry he kept working. I never let it known I was his father because I respected the opinions and passion everyone had for the program.
I didn't want to be bias you learn that way. I think I said enough. GOD Bless Renard Owens

I met you briefly at a football game. You looked like you could play some B ball yourself then. He is fortunate to have you as a father and as a guide. You can protect him when no one else will. You hit the nail on the head. Funny thing is I have a skinny son who is growing up fast and one of the tallest at his age. He loves basketball and he may not have the best talent but he works his tail off to get better. I want to always be there for him and you sir are doing a great job being there for your son. Good luck and I hope things work out well for your family in sports and in life.

Reactions: 4 people
I met you briefly at a football game. You looked like you could play some B ball yourself then. He is fortunate to have you as a father and as a guide. You can protect him when no one else will. You hit the nail on the head. Funny thing is I have a skinny son who is growing up fast and one of the tallest at his age. He loves basketball and he may not have the best talent but he works his tail off to get better. I want to always be there for him and you sir are doing a great job being there for your son. Good luck and I hope things work out well for your family in sports and in life.
Thanks a lot and good luck to your son and family...

Reactions: 3 people
I get it but what lesson is truly learned about over coming adversity down the road if he's a professional? Coaches are going to continue to get fired or leave and if you take your ball and go somewhere else every time what has he really learned? Overcoming adversity and change is the one thing that seems to be lacking with young athletes today. I wish him well in his future but this will not be the last coaching change in a young mans career. What do you do at the next school when a relationship is built and that coach bolts? Go Vols! Tariq will always be a VFL.
Great point it's a little different when your a paid professional and coaches change. My prayer and hope is that he lands somewhere where there is stability and we do not have worry about another coaching change at the college level. It's my job to try make sure the next coach is as stable in his program as I can. Hope we get it right because we cannot do this again to be honest.

Reactions: 3 people
I had a little game not as talented as the kids today!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Hate to see any of 'em go but a class act and I wish them the very best of luck; hope he reaches his dreams.

I'm personally curious, with Barnes' ability to churn out NBA draft picks, what was the downside for staying here if an opportunity for professional basketball is possibly in the cards?

Wherever you guys decide to go, I hope for the best. I think Tariq has so much potential, I hope he realizes it all.

I'm personally curious, with Barnes' ability to churn out NBA draft picks, what was the downside for staying here if an opportunity for professional basketball is possibly in the cards?

Wherever you guys decide to go, I hope for the best. I think Tariq has so much potential, I hope he realizes it all.

That's what I was thinking. When Barnes was announced I thought all of our bigs, Tariq, Jabari and Carmichael would benefit die to the success Barnes has had with post players reaching the NBA. i guess what I don't understand is why didn't Tariq and his Dad give Barnes a chance to develop a relationship? He's going to have to do this anyway with whatever school and coach he transfers to. Regardless, I wish Tariq nothing but the best and appreciate his hard work and the time he spent as a VFL.

Mr. Owens, you let Tariq know that he has started a collegiate fanbase in Tennessee and many of us will follow his career wherever he chooses to go. God speed.

Great point it's a little different when your a paid professional and coaches change. My prayer and hope is that he lands somewhere where there is stability and we do not have worry about another coaching change at the college level. It's my job to try make sure the next coach is as stable in his program as I can. Hope we get it right because we cannot do this again to be honest.

One thing that came to mind when I heard of his impending transfer was why not stick it out one year? He's gonna be a true sophomore and based on the roster, with another off season he should get significant minutes. If it doesn't work out, he could always transfer next year. I hate when these things don't work out but I certainly understand you have to do what is best for you guys. As has been said, once a Vol, always a Vol. Best of luck and thanks for the class you've shown here.

Also, thanks for your service as a PO, please be safe.

There's a good case for staying or leaving. There is no guarantee TO will be able to get significant minutes at TN while he's putting on the weight needed to mix it up in the SEC... especially if some of those minutes will be at the 5. I'm sure that there are opportunities out there to play a lot more minutes sooner while still developing physically.

Also, TN might not make it back to the NCAAT for a couple more years. There could be a team more likely to get there that has PT opening up at the 4 spot in 2016-17.

Also, TO might want to get closer to his home base.

Whatever the reason Tariq won't be on the roster, I'm sorry to see him leave. He's very athletic and IMO isn't too far off from getting big enough to be effective at the SEC level.

Good luck to #11.

Isn't he going to be starting over with people and coaches he doesn"t know when he transfers? At UT he has friends, knows the campus and facilities, and just has to prove himself to the new staff. I hope it works out for him wherever he ends up.
I also don't get this. He will have to earn playing time at any school he chooses, not only that but he'll sit on the bench (transfer rules) for an entire year before seeing the court again.

So Pinkins is definitely not staying now? Thought he had a second interview with Barnes lined up.

I respect the Owens' decision. I just hope it ends up being the right one for Tariq. He has plenty of potential and as already noted, if/when he adds about 40 lbs and gets stronger, I feel he could have thrived under CRB.

He didn't have to justify or explain anything at all. It's their decision, their business. That being said, it was a classy way to go out. All the best to the Owens family.

I also don't get this. He will have to earn playing time at any school he chooses, not only that but he'll sit on the bench (transfer rules) for an entire year before seeing the court again.

Consider it the red shirt year he didn't get this year, a full year to work on his body.

If he and his father think this is the best move for him, then good luck to him.

I certainly wish that young man well. And I can understand his dad's position however there were a couple of points there that made no sense to me. A couple of the points were assumed or made to early at best. If we all were going to be Judgment Day honest we would have to admit Tariq has a long, long way to go before he's ready to be an impact player. Still I respect his decision and he's prob correct that he'll be recruited over soon.,,..in the meantime dad feed that boy some milkshakes...,

Tariq is a blessed and fortunate young man to have a dad like Renard. He very eloquently and respectfully explained their decision. We need more dads like this and the world could be a far better place. My best to the Owens Family.
Happy and Blessed EASTER to all of Volnation.

This X 1000. Great Post!

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back