Targeting Hit KO’s JG, No Flag

No targeting hence the injury to wrist and not head.
Launching and leading with crown of the helmet are targeting, hitting the head/neck are not required.

Defenders basically need to make every effort to hit with shoulder pads. Not always possible but an unblocked hit on QB yeah you can make sure you aren’t spearing the defenseless player with your helmet.

Yikes.... I had not seen any pics on the hit and I was looking downfield..... This is a real problem for the officials, especially the replay guys who could have buzzed down..... letting ours stand and not flagging this one, at least for a review, is simply awful application of the rules.

He launched and used the crown of his helmet to initiate contact with a defenseless player..... did not meet the other rule where you contact the helmet with almost any other body part.....

I seem to remember the league can go back and retroactively impose the player to sit out the next game even if not flagged live.... but sometimes I mix up college and pro rules.. Pruitt should push that if it is the rule..... the top of the helmet broke his wrist for gosh sakes...

Last edited:
You can watch it on full game video link at top of this Forum. Go to the 1:46:30 time expired and it is next play.

Last edited:
Not targeting but I agree the hit to Jennings after he already made the catch could have been called but it was close.

Attachments

• 068CA186-349D-4F91-9FCD-9D9E79658734.jpeg
    068CA186-349D-4F91-9FCD-9D9E79658734.jpeg
    997.5 KB · Views: 99
  • F68397C0-F106-4BA1-BA3B-C6DADE431808.jpeg
    F68397C0-F106-4BA1-BA3B-C6DADE431808.jpeg
    1,000 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: 08Vol and FBtime
You can see play after play that seems to contradict the way the officials have ruled against us recently. Can't remember which UT defender it was(Taylor?) that was penalized for "pushing" up on the qb on the ground. Very minor thing and certainly something you rarely see called. Then you see #6 last night getting up off Jennings out of bounds at around the 9 min mark I believe. Now that was excessive and should have been flagged. Nothing. No laundry at all. Just not a big deal last night.

I know refs are human, but can they just not get together and decide how things like this are going to be called from game to game, crew to crew? Hell, just be consistent that way everyone knows what's expected.

Folks, the targeting rule is not only for the offensive players’ safety. That’s why it can be called for launching and leading with the crown of the helmet; to keep defenders from hurting themselves. Contact with the helmet of the offensive player is not the only requirement for the flag.

You can see play after play that seems to contradict the way the officials have ruled against us recently. Can't remember which UT defender it was(Taylor?) that was penalized for "pushing" up on the qb on the ground. Very minor thing and certainly something you rarely see called. Then you see #6 last night getting up off Jennings out of bounds at around the 9 min mark I believe. Now that was excessive and should have been flagged. Nothing. No laundry at all. Just not a big deal last night.

I know refs are human, but can they just not get together and decide how things like this are going to be called from game to game, crew to crew? Hell, just be consistent that way everyone knows what's expected.

That was so excessive!!! I was losing my mind on that no-call. If that had been JJ on top of someone, he would’ve had 3 flags thrown on him.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
By the letter of the law, it might be targeting. However, I have never seen it called on a hit to the mid-section.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back