Taran Armstrong Vescovi connection..

Not sure that they would’ve been there the same time, Vescovi was only there 1 year and he’s a few years older than Armstrong…it’s possible but doesn’t seem like it.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Saying anything negative about Vescovi is met with hate and derision here. "How dare you." Fact is he was terrible at the end of games. Single handedly lost Mizzou game. Missed 3 consecutive 3's at end of FAU game that may have won it for us. Etc etc etc. He's likeable...I get it....but wasn't even in top 50 in 3 pt %. He chucked up a ton though. What I'm saying is we need better if we're gonna advance past sweet 16.

Reactions: Big time vol
Saying anything negative about Vescovi is met with hate and derision here. "How dare you." Fact is he was terrible at the end of games. Single handedly lost Mizzou game. Missed 3 consecutive 3's at end of FAU game that may have won it for us. Etc etc etc. He's likeable...I get it....but wasn't even in top 50 in 3 pt %. He chucked up a ton though. What I'm saying is we need better if we're gonna advance past sweet 16.
What would our record have been without him?

You’re a b!tvh, bye.

I don’t know who decided to let you cook, but who ever decided too. Made the wrong decision.

Reactions: pimo1

You are going to catch Hell, but you are not entirely wrong though. Wasn't he 3 -11 his last game ?

He's a good player, but very inconsistent. I'd still take him back. He needs better players around him for sure

Reactions: cncchris33
If you shoot over 33% on like partially covered 3s and the rest of the offense is anemic, you should chuck up a ton. If you’re a first team all SEC player, you are excellent. He had a shoulder injury that looked like it affected his shot for a month or so.

Also, your 3PT% goes down with the more you take, believe it or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckInAPen
Fact is they would’ve won 15 games this year if they didn’t have Vescovi.

What you mention about some missed shots, while true, I attribute to plain ol' fatigue. Guy played a ton of minutes and had to fill in on the ball because Barnes went into this season with just one PG. That's on Barnes not Vescovi. Throw in what Barnes demands on defense, and the times players and sometimes the team no showed is perfectly understandable. Barnes had a bench to use and season early on, but he didn't do it enough and he certainly didn't trust them when the real games started. I've said it before. This is just another in a long and growing line of Barnes teams to just get ground down over a long, hard season. Until he buillds a deeper roster or one that he can trust deeper into his bench to the point that he'll actually USE them, you'll see this every single year no matter who's on the floor. Vescovi is one of the better shooters we've had at UT. Got no problem with him coming back. Wish him well if he leaves. Same for all the seniors, but Vescovi is the only one of the seniors I want back and yes, that includes JJJ.

The “fact” is Vescovi was guarded differently this year than last year because he was the only reliable offensive threat we had. How many times did you hear coaches in post-game or pre-game press conferences reference their entire gameplan as shutting down Vescovi? Of course his shooting percentages are going to be worse when he is the focus of the entire defense.

He needs help. He needs less pressure to be the only guy worth a damn that can score the basketball. So, yeah, it’s dumb to insult Vescovi because it’s short-sighted to think he’s part of the problem.

What an ignorant a$$ post.

Dude hustled his ass off for rebounds, played tough defense, and was our only consistent good shooter but sure, we need to do “better”.

The hate for him is so unnecessary.

What on earth does this have to do with whether he knows Taran Armstrong? Are you just copy pasting the same **** into every thread that even mentions him?

Vescovi has limitations but he was our best player this year start to finish and it isn’t even arguable. Guy is a very good defender, a true threat from the perimeter other teams have to game plan for and quite a good rebounder despite his height. He isn’t quick and can’t beat many defenders off the dribble, but we didn’t have anyone who could do that on entire team, save Mashack’s efforts late in the year.

Reactions: Lankykong
You win the most ignorant VN post of the month. 2 time all-SEC players aren’t good enough? Give us 5 all-SEC players and we’re cooking with butter. Of all the shortcomings anyone might choose to assign to this team, Vescovi would be the absolute very last one - best all around player and best shooter on the team.

I thought being a primary handler of point guard duties would fatigue Vescovi to the point that his point production would tank. However, he responded like a champ and was superb overall. Barnes in fact did a nice job disguising a weakness using Vescovi, Mashack and others to offset the loss of ZZ. I hope Santiago comes back as he potentially is one of the elite returnees in the SEC. Also fans dissing on JJJ need to pause as when healthy he can be a force on a championship team in leadership and quality play.

You are going to catch Hell, but you are not entirely wrong though. Wasn't he 3 -11 his last game ?

He's a good player, but very inconsistent. I'd still take him back. He needs better players around him for sure
This. Asking Santi to carry our offense isn't a whole lot different than asking Uros to carry it, or asking Key to carry it. One-dimensional players who are really good at their dimension, but very lacking in other areas. Limit their strength and force them to beat you with their weaknesses or defer to someone else.

Reactions: vols 30
Wow this thread took 2 posts to go completely off the rails lol
there are at least 10 I hate Santi threads out there already, aren't there? do we have to hijack every thread where his name is mentioned no matter the context?

We should ask freak to make a new section in forums for all the threads and people that want to rail against players on our team.. just put it all there FB, BB, Softball, Baseball, Volleyball. let all the haters have their place in the shade to throw shade at our players. Its getting ridiculous.

Listen cause this guy knows more than the 14 SEC coaches that voted SV All SEC First Team.

Reactions: walkenvol

He was 3-3 starting but didn’t get another open look the entire game. FAU, CUSA champ, had zero concern for any other offensive player on the floor for Tennessee. They just played the others straight up and won easily. So either our players weren’t good enough to beat FAU or our coach wasn’t good enough to get them easy shots. Take your pick.

VN Store

Back