Talk to us about (version 8.0)

DeusExMachina

"I aim to misbehave"
(author's note: I just realized that it's been 8 weeks of me doing these threads, and I'm kinda astonished that nobody's told me to knock it off yet. I'll keep doing 'em as long as y'all will have me.)

This thread's been one of those that's been banging around in my head since I started this thing. I think all of us here have that one particular game that stands out in our memory. Whether it's inside our beloved Neyland; or at one of the lesser stadiums that our opponents call home, any chance to watch a Tennessee football game is a welcome experience.

My personal favorite game I've ever been in attendance for took place on Saturday, October 26, 1996. The hated, despised, and reviled Crimson Tide came into town #1 in the nation and touting the nation's #1 defense. 17-year-old DeusExMachina was firmly entrenched in Section V and watched an absolute slugfest for 57 minutes and change. I thought, like many others, that we were going to get extra football that day.....but Jay Graham had other ideas. To date, the noise on that 79-yard run is the absolute loudest I've ever personally heard Neyland. I legitimately thought that the stadium was going to come down.....but as always, it didn't. There was a bit of a scare shortly thereafter, but our Vols showed the Tide that they weren't the only ones that could play defense.

So let's hear it. Talk to us about your personal favorite Tennessee game (home or away, doesn't matter) that you attended. Oh, and if you were at the National Championship or the Miracle at South Bend game.....that's just showing off, hahahahahahaha.

1982 UT/Alabama in Knoxville.

I was 12 and went to the World's Fair and then the game. Chuck Coleman, Willie Gault, and Alan Cockrell. What a great memory.

usatsi_11925974-e1603372138474.jpg

If I had to name just one it would be ‘85 Auburn, Bo knows why.

‘86 Sugar Bowl, 18 years old in New Orleans
‘90 FL, that 2nd half
‘89 Auburn, Cobb/Webb in the rain
‘82 Ole Miss, first win in Jackson, I remember Fuad had a long field goal. Went with Ole Miss fans.

And every game my Dad took me to.

Legion Field. 1995.

I was in the South Endzone completely surrounded by Bammers. I had gone with my neighbors who were Bama alumni.

When we went up by 21, I was pelted with open mustard and ketchup packets. I still have the Game jacket in my closet and it still has mustard stains.

On the ride home as soon as we got into the car, my buddy’s mom turned around and put her finger in my face and said “I don’t want to hear a word from you the whole damn way home”!

It was easily the best ride home and game ever.

1982 UT/Alabama in Knoxville.

I was 12 and went to the World's Fair and then the game. Chuck Coleman, Willie Gault, and Alan Cockrell. What a great memory.

usatsi_11925974-e1603372138474.jpg
Was there...took the day off from working the Fair...carried goal post with friends down to The Last Lap...

Seems like 2 weeks ago...but then again...it doesn't...

Even being a Dawg fan I can contribute here I think. 2016 TN at GA. Forgive me if I don’t remember exactly as honestly I try to forget. Late in the game I’m pretty sure we will win, but no TN takes the lead with less than 3 mins left. No problem, we drive and score with mere seconds left on the clock. Sanford erupts and we’ve won!!! Yay!!! Everything is as it should be right? Wrong, good kick return and Hail Mary to I think Jennings later with no time left and TN wins. Everyone is dumbfounded. Great game but heartbreaking. Not the best TN win maybe, but it was pretty epic. Not fun for us Dawgs for sure😢

Florida '98. I thought we were doomed when I saw their receiver breaking open on a long pass toward me in the south end zone, then Deon Grant's right hand came from out of nowhere to snatch the ball out of the air. A little while later their kicker missed a field goal in overtime that would have tied the game and the goal posts were history.

2022 vs. Alabama. We lost 3/4 of the 20 years I was in the Army to them. To be there when we FINALLY beat them again. The kiddos don't understand yet, but they will

I remember getting home from deployment in 2010 on Friday and driving the 6 hours to Knoxville and back (so 12 total, even though we weren't supposed to go outside of 50 miles), to watch us get beat 41-10.

I remember having a text ready to send to my PSG when we lined up for the FG that fatty mcgee blocked in 2009.

IMG_4356.jpegIMG_4359.jpeg

Last edited:
2016 Music City Bowl vs. Nebraska

Both myself and my best man from my wedding (who's a Nebraska fan) were in Savannah on leave at the same time. We decided to drive up and watch the game.

I've attended all 3 MCBs. Crazy we were screwed in the other 2.

IMG_5047.jpeg

Reactions: DuckInAPen
OP, I like these threads. It's a great walk down memory lane.

I don't recall Bama being ranked #`1 at any time during that season, but I think they were undefeated coming into Knoxville. IIRC, Leonard Little got to know Freddie Kitchens....or (I should say) Freddie Kitchens got to know Leonard Little very well that day.

Was '96 the 1st year of overtime in college football? I know it was around that time.

Even being a Dawg fan I can contribute here I think. 2016 TN at GA. Forgive me if I don’t remember exactly as honestly I try to forget. Late in the game I’m pretty sure we will win, but no TN takes the lead with less than 3 mins left. No problem, we drive and score with mere seconds left on the clock. Sanford erupts and we’ve won!!! Yay!!! Everything is as it should be right? Wrong, good kick return and Hail Mary to I think Jennings later with no time left and TN wins. Everyone is dumbfounded. Great game but heartbreaking. Not the best TN win maybe, but it was pretty epic. Not fun for us Dawgs for sure😢
I was there too. Obviously, the 2 late TD passes got all the attention, but I'll never forget the UGA kickoff after their last score. The ONLY shot we had was a kick return and a Hail Mary and if they just squib it down to the 35, there's no way a Hail Mary can even happen. Literally as soon as the ball went in the air, I hear my turncoat, UGA fan son beside me yelling "NOOOOO . . . DON'T KICK TO THAT GUY?!?" lol.

I wasn't there but I watched it on tv .... The Miracle at South Bend. There was no way, we were going to come back after halftime and win that game ... Or so I thought. One of Majors best memorable wins in my opinion.

Probably the '98 florida game. The '98 bama game was probably good too, but I had some dental surgey the day before and was on some good meds at the game. The Stoerner fumble game was great too.

Reactions: DeusExMachina
(author's note: I just realized that it's been 8 weeks of me doing these threads, and I'm kinda astonished that nobody's told me to knock it off yet. I'll keep doing 'em as long as y'all will have me.)

This thread's been one of those that's been banging around in my head since I started this thing. I think all of us here have that one particular game that stands out in our memory. Whether it's inside our beloved Neyland; or at one of the lesser stadiums that our opponents call home, any chance to watch a Tennessee football game is a welcome experience.

My personal favorite game I've ever been in attendance for took place on Saturday, October 26, 1996. The hated, despised, and reviled Crimson Tide came into town #1 in the nation and touting the nation's #1 defense. 17-year-old DeusExMachina was firmly entrenched in Section V and watched an absolute slugfest for 57 minutes and change. I thought, like many others, that we were going to get extra football that day.....but Jay Graham had other ideas. To date, the noise on that 79-yard run is the absolute loudest I've ever personally heard Neyland. I legitimately thought that the stadium was going to come down.....but as always, it didn't. There was a bit of a scare shortly thereafter, but our Vols showed the Tide that they weren't the only ones that could play defense.

So let's hear it. Talk to us about your personal favorite Tennessee game (home or away, doesn't matter) that you attended. Oh, and if you were at the National Championship or the Miracle at South Bend game.....that's just showing off, hahahahahahaha.
To be honest, I just enjoy looking at your avatar and don’t even read the posts.
😜

I’m joking. Keep em coming!

Reactions: DeusExMachina
I was there too. Obviously, the 2 late TD passes got all the attention, but I'll never forget the UGA kickoff after their last score. The ONLY shot we had was a kick return and a Hail Mary and if they just squib it down to the 35, there's no way a Hail Mary can even happen. Literally as soon as the ball went in the air, I hear my turncoat, UGA fan son beside me yelling "NOOOOO . . . DON'T KICK TO THAT GUY?!?" lol.
I agree, not squib kicking was a huge mistake and TN made us pay dearly. Seem like I remember a personal foul we also committed on the return if I’m remembering right. Either way we royally screwed up and TN nailed the coffin shut. That ending was such a roller coaster. I remember feeling absolutely shocked. Took awhile for it to sink in.🤪

Last edited:
I agree, not squib kicking was a huge mistake at TN made us pay dearly. Seem like I remember a personal foul we also committed on the return if I’m remembering right. Either way we royally screwed up and TN nailed the coffin shut. That ending was such a roller coaster. I remember feeling absolutely shocked. Took awhile for it to sink in.🤪
players came off the sideline and got flagged for excessive celebration I think.

VN Store

Back