Talk to us about.........(version 4.0)

DeusExMachina

"I aim to misbehave"
(yup, late again, sorry. Hopefully this week's subject makes up for my tardiness.)

I've been on VolNation for a hot minute, and like most others, know the names of a LOT of Tennessee defensive legends along with their exploits on Shields-Watkins Field. You could literally pull a name out of a hat and have someone that someone on here will use words like "amazing" to describe. More than a few of them were before my time in Pantone 151, just like the gentleman that's the topic of this week's post. "Amazing" is an apt word for this gentleman's highlights, but I have yet to see any other defensive player receive the amount of "my favorite defensive player" as this fella.

In 1982, after a year at Tennessee Military Institute, a scholarship was given to a former Bradley County Bear that would go on to etch his name firmly in Volunteer lore.

Talk to us about Dale Jones, if y'all would.

front.jpg

Third Saturday in October - 1985. 12 year old GAVol is in Birmingham at Legion Field (what a dump that was) in watching a classic game unfold and Dale Jones made one of the most physically amazing plays I've ever seen live.

Last edited:
Legion Field was finally closed down due to structural issues. It needs to be torn down, but nobody wants the land its on, especially if Birmingham Southern College goes under like everyone is expecting.

The only thing I remember about Dale Jones was watching the Sugar Bowl with my Dad on New Year's Day 1986. He sacked Vinny Testaverde twice that game, and I remember Keith Jackson calling his name on one of them. I was 7 years old.

Third Saturday in October - 1985. 12 year old GAVol is in Birmingham at Legion Field (what a dump that was) in watching a classic game unfold and Dale Jones made one of the most physically amazing plays I've ever seen live.

Absolutely an amazing play. Wasn't that play a little after Tony Robinson got hurt?

I saw Dale Jones crack his helmet against Rambo Jackson’s knee in 1985 I think. Bo took himself out of the game short afterwards. Dale found an operable helmet and went back in the game. UT whooped No. 1 Auburn’s 38-20.
Before kickoff there was 3 orange/white balloons flew overhead with a rubber chicken (war Buzzard) tied to it. Whatta game.
Dale was a hellava LB.

Go VOLS

I remember that play. Dale was a HOSS! Tennessee has had some great defenders since I've been watching Vols football ( about 55 years worth). Hopefully, we'll be reviewing all of them in these series the OP has started.

Same here. I was thinking TR got hurt and the vols were gonna lose that game.
I just went back and found it on Youtube. I had forgotten how clutch that play was. Tony Robinson got hurt at the beginning of the 4th quarter and we settled for a FG to go up 16-7. They threw a TD pass to make it 16-14 and then were driving for a go ahead score mid 4th quarter when we got the INT and then ran the ball just well enough to eat up the clock and win.

I remember that play. Dale was a HOSS! Tennessee has had some great defenders since I've been watching Vols football ( about 55 years worth). Hopefully, we'll be reviewing all of them in these series the OP has started.

Spoiler alert: Andy Spiva is on the list, as is Todd Kelly Sr.. That's all the spoilers for now.

I saw Dale Jones crack his helmet against Rambo Jackson’s knee in 1985 I think. Bo took himself out of the game short afterwards. Dale found an operable helmet and went back in the game. UT whooped No. 1 Auburn’s 38-20.
Before kickoff there was 3 orange/white balloons flew overhead with a rubber chicken (war Buzzard) tied to it. Whatta game.
Dale was a hellava LB.

Go VOLS
I was at that game.

My brother-in-law played against him in high school. Eddie played for Cleveland, Bradley's main rival.

He was great.

That said, my favorite 5 Vol defenders of all time are, in order...

1. Reggie White
2. Eric Berry
3. Duane Goodrich with the NCG pick 6 against Florida State.
4. Leonard Little
5. Billy Ratliffe for forcing the Client Stoerner fumble and recovering it to keep the 1998 championship hopes alive.

Reactions: DeusExMachina
A few years before my fandom was ignited. Born in '76. But he was one of the players my dad talked about the most when I was young.

VN Store

Back