Talk to us about......(version 1.0)

DeusExMachina

"I aim to misbehave"
The 2022 season has ended, and while it may not have ended the way it could have, it was still a gigantic step forward from where we have been in recent years.

Many cultures keep the history of their people alive through oral histories. Elders speak of times past, and pass these lessons down to the next generations, who then repeat the process. While my own time as a supporter of the Orange and White didn't begin until 1993-ish, there are those on here that have been fans far longer than I have, and there are those whose path in Pantone 151 is just beginning.

My plan, during this offseason, is to drop one of these threads every Sunday. A thing to keep in mind is that everyone's experience is different, and one person's recollection may not align with another. Everyone can have a say, nobody's wrong.

This week's thread is about a specific game in history. Others will be about specific players (I've got about the first 15 planned-ish), specific coaches, there may be a couple more about specific games (I have one in mind in particular), but we'll all cross that bridge when we get there. I'm going to try and keep most of them pre-1993, but we'll see where that goes. I know there's a couple mixed in that are post-93.

On January 1, 1986, the 8-1-2 #8 ranked Tennessee Volunteers took on a 10-1 #2 ranked Miami Hurricanes team that, by and large, was expected to dispose of them quite easily. Nobody seemed to want to give the men in Orange and White a chance, but the "Sugar Vols", as we all now know, had their chance to have their say before the game was decided.

Talk to us about that game. Were you there?? Were you a student at that point?? What was it like?? What do you remember??

From what I remember they had just a 50 point beat down on Notre Dame coming into the game, they were a cocky team lead by Jimmy Johnson, and nobody gave us a chance. Our defensive line harassed Vinny Testaverde all my night long, he looked like he had seen a ghost by the end of the game. The only thing I could compare that win to would be the 98 National title.

I remember when some of the players were interviewed after the game, they said the defensive coordinator, Ken Donahue, made them run up and down the stadium steps all week long before the game. When Tennessee took the field they were pumped and never tired during the game because of the stamina they had running those stairs.
I remember the highly vaulted QB for Miami, Testeverde, being on his back most of the game as Donahue had so many blitz packages prepared that Miami had no answer.
It was a classic game and ranks as one of our best as hands-down underdogs that prevailed despite the experts predictions.

From what I remember they had just a 50 point beat down on Notre Dame coming into the game, they were a cocky team lead by Jimmy Johnson, and nobody gave us a chance. Our defensive line harassed Vinny Testaverde all my night long, he looked like he had seen a ghost by the end of the game. The only thing I could compare that win to would be the 98 National title.

My all time favorite game...........My avatar is the news headlines the day after.

I was there and insanely drunk with happiness over that game....Before the game we had a bunch of Cane fans heckling us outside saying stuff like "Why did you guys even show up?"..."You wasted your money to travel here only to get blown out"...One even said you guys can only dream of having talent on this level...Man oh man it was the sweetest victory at that time in my lifetime except for the 1982 Bama game...We UT fans were completely insane after we took a 14 point lead on them, You just just feel that we were taking over...Our coaching staff had one of the best strategies i have ever seen for that game and I was good friends with Victor Peppers at the time and he told me to wait and see and he was right on the money....I remind many of my Cane friends down here about that game lol

I was there. Miami hotel was the Hilton at Riverwalk. Tennessee fans dominated the rest of New Orleans. Miami was very confident they’d dust off Tennessee and claim a NC. Jimmy Johnson was all time arrogant that entire week.

Vol fans flooded the Superdome and the Vols were ready. Miami took advantage of Vols being fired up by running a fake punt on their first series and scored on a TD pass to Irvin immediately after. Vols settled down, got a TD of their own then proceeded to kick Miami ass all over NO the rest of the game. One 3 play series had Vols sacking Testaverde twice forcing a punt then Jeff Powell “roared 60 yards down the floor of the Superdome” on first down.

Miami thought they had speed but they got outran all night by the Vols. Tennessee played the game with both starting CBS out but backups Creamer & Peppers played great. 3rd team CB Terry McDaniel got a INT as did Chris White. McDaniel later in his career made All American, high draft choice of Oakland & played a long career there

A special night. I got home around 1:30 and we watched the entire game again on the ole VHS.

One of my all time favorite games. Miami was unbeatable and embarrassed to have to play UT in that game. All of the football gurus were expecting a beat down of historic proportions. My favorite memory, however, comes from watching that game on satellite dish which ‘got the raw feed of the announcers. The announcers during the off air moments (commercials, half time show, etc) were talking among themselves and it would not be not be on the network air. They dissed Tennessee unmerciful before the game and during the first half. UT was beating Miami like a rented mule during the first half of the game. Keith Jackson (whoa Nellie), if my memory serves me correctly, continued to dog UT and make comments like “Miami will come back and kick Tennessee’s ass in the second half” and other such comments. It was so much fun watching them have to start talking up UT in the fourth quarter when you knew what was in their heart. I guess, that was my first realization of some media distaste for the Vols. It was a great win!

Last edited:
One of my all time favorite games. Miami was unbeatable and embarrassed to have to play UT in that game. All of the football gurus were expecting a beat down of historic proportions. My favorite memory, however, comes from watching that game on satellite dish which ‘got the raw feed of the announcers. The announcers during the off air moments (commercials, half time show, etc) were talking among themselves and it would not be not be on the network air. They dissed Tennessee unmerciful before the game and during the first half. UT was beating Miami like a rented mule during the first half of the game. Keith Jackson (whoa Nellie), if my memory serves me correctly, continued to dog UT and make comments like “Miami will come back and kick Tennessee’s ass in the second half” and other such comments. It was so much fun watching them have to start talking up UT in the fourth quarter when you knew what was in their heart. I guess, that was my first realization of some media distaste for the Vols. It was a great win!

I didn’t think it was so much a dislike of the Vols as much as it was loving Miami and Vinnie.

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale at the time and the Sun Sentinel (FT. Lauderdale) made reference to Tennessee's defense as "Roaming bands of Visigoths". I never forgot that one and have used it a few times since.

They don’t have the talent Georgia does but I hope they win
If they didn’t have the talent Georgia does then Michigan would have boat raced them. TCU is going to wipe the ****ing floor with Ga. Then all the normal Homers of their teams all come out of the woodworks with the most famous excuse in all of sports.
# 1 Homer excuse or conference excuse after a loss.
Ready: They didn’t play their A game.
Heard that ****ing line for 25 years , here’s the deal . That line can be used by every ****ing homerville fan after every lose. We Didn’t Play our A game.

Bottom line is you either WIN or LOSE
Excuses are for losers.

Reactions: PreacherVol2
I used to live next door to a TN player that played in that game, he could tell some stories. I love watching the replay of that game on Youtube. The commentators are talking up the Miami team all before the game, then Miami comes out and scores almost at will and the commentators are gushing about how good Vinny is. TN put up the next 35 points and shut everyone up including the commentators.

That was the first season of football I can vividly remember. Tony Robinson started the year, but was injured in a win against bama. Very similar to this year, our dreams of more were lost, but with strong play from the back up Dickey, we were able to spoil the Canes national championship hopes.

If they didn’t have the talent Georgia does then Michigan would have boat raced them. TCU is going to wipe the ****ing floor with Ga. Then all the normal Homers of their teams all come out of the woodworks with the most famous excuse in all of sports.
# 1 Homer excuse or conference excuse after a loss.
Ready: They didn’t play their A game.
Heard that ****ing line for 25 years , here’s the deal . That line can be used by every ****ing homerville fan after every lose. We Didn’t Play our A game.

Bottom line is you either WIN or LOSE
Excuses are for losers.
Michigan doesn’t have the talent Georgia does either, again I hope tcu wins but they are no where on the same level when it comes to talent comparisons.

Michigan doesn’t have the talent Georgia does either, again I hope tcu wins but they are no where on the same level when it comes to talent comparisons.
Yep and when Ga loses you will here how Ga didn’t play their A game read post above

Miami flew down the field likes machine on the opening drive and Vinny Testaverde hit Michael Irvin for a TD. I remember my Dad saying “This may be bad”. We couldn’t have imagined that the Miami offense was going to spend the next 3 hours in a torture chamber.

No idea why I thought of this…. Remember when they introduced the starters and they had pictures of them all dressed as riverboat gamblers? Just completely weird lol.

F46F8062-DA2B-4C02-AAB3-F70A23AABEEA.jpeg

I was at the game. What sticks in my mind, besides the game itself, was the crowds in New Orleans on New Year’s Eve. First of all, it seemed as if UT had tsken over the city. There were far more UT fans than Miami fans.
My friend and I were caught up in a crowd so jam packed that we couldn’t change direction, we were carried along wherever the crowd wanted to go.
Finally, the name Hurricane has another meaning besides being the Miami nickname. A popular and very strong alcoholic drink goes by that name. I recall throwing up while traveling on Bourbon Street (for some strange reason).

VN Store

Back