Talk to us about.......Heath Shuler

He was as highly anticipated as anybody could be in the pre-internet era. He played well early in 1992, but he flat showed out against UGA. He made a throw on 4th and long on our last drive that was an absolute laser beam for a gain of 20+ and went on to win.

Here it is cued up . . . an absolute dart.

Look at all the Tennessee fans that were there..Those were the days.

I was at this game! Row 7 in the student section, right behind the Florida bench. I was soaked in places I didn't know could be soaked. What a memory that is.

I also happened to be standing in line in TBA to pay my tuition and fees, and Heath was waiting with his girlfriend (I suppose she was paying hers as well). And he just struck up a casual conversation. Fantastic guy.
I remember the student section pounding the Florida bench with water filled cups…the crowd was nasty that day due to the treatment the Vols had received at Gainesville the year before when Fulmer’s wife was spit on.

Tim Tebow before Tim Tebow, except he was a better passer.

This right here. Charlie Ward won the Heisman in '93 and should've won the Heisman in '93. Florida State was the consensus national champion and Ward put up some eye-popping stats. Heath Shuler had the misfortune of being in the mix the same year as Ward because most other years he would've deserved the Heisman.

All things considered, Heath Shuler is probably the second-best QB that Tennessee has ever had. It's easy to forget just how good that 1993 offense was, and Shuler didn't have as many weapons as played on the really good Tennessee teams in '89 and '90, or even as many weapons as Peyton would have later.

I think the reason Shuler doesn't rank higher in UT football lore is because he declared for the draft after his junior season. If he had come back for his senior season, he would've had a good shot at winning the Heisman (even though Salaam was good), Tennessee would've certainly had a better record...but Manning wouldn't have gotten the experience as a true freshman that helped get him ready for a breakout season in 1995. It's interesting how things pan out. If Shuler doesn't leave, does Tennessee redshirt Manning? If that happens, does Tennessee win the NC in '98 with Manning instead of Martin at QB?

At practice, threw a bullet from his knees 50 yards hitting a plexiglass square cracking it into two pieces.

Wasn't it WBIR or somebody doing a story on Shuler and they were trying to get a shot of the ball coming at the camera so they had the camera behind plexiglass and he splintered it? Man, I would love to see that video again. Has anybody got it?

And, as has been mentioned, if he had played in the era of the spread offense his numbers would have been mind boggling.

I was at UT/in Knox from ‘90-‘96, started with Andy Kelly, ended with Peyton. But Heath Shuler is my favorite all-time Tennessee quarterback. Just tough- could run and throw, would have fit in well these days.

Reactions: DeusExMachina
Andy Kelly gave his all for UT, but had 39 career picks, partly due to iffy field vision and slow decisions. Plus, he wasn't very mobile.

Shuler's arrival marked a massive upgrade at QB, which had been fairly weak since Tony Robinson. He more than delivered despite not having game breakers at WR.

It's a shame with Heath Shuler. Most of the time when a QB is a bust, you either have a poor work ethic, bad mechanics, a substance abuse problem, a lack of arm strength or athleticism to point to. It's hard to understand why he was such a bust in Washington. He was only there 3 seasons and hardly played at all in 1996. The guy who beat him out (Gus Frerotte) was not that good.

On Sundays during the season, Heath would spend those days at his cousin’s house who lived two doors down from me. Always very courteous and nice. He was over there one Halloween handing out candy to children.

I had a friend whose son was a student manager for Vol football. He said that Heath always had lots of nice things sent to the hotel for away games, of course from the ladies. I’m also pretty sure he had the #21 on his North Carolina driving tags.

He reminded me of John Elway in his earlier days. He could throw, run, fake-run, etc. Defenders hated him - just ask UGA. I still remember seeing all those red/black clad fans leaving their stadium in streams after the 3rd when Shuler shredded them with his legs/arm.

(*sorry this is late, got caught up packing yesterday for our trip today. This is also a change from the original subject of this post, I was gonna use one of the lesser-known WRs in Tennessee history, but changed it as I was writing it. I'll do the WRs in another version of this, I promise.*)

Every denizen of Rocky Top pretty much knows ad verbatim the story of Number 16, "The Sheriff", "Sir Peyton of New Orleans" (hat tip to the incomparable OMG), and the greatest QB in Vols history, Peyton Manning. Not only great at the college level, he was absolutely incandescent in the NFL as well.

The fella that chucked the rock prior to him wasn't exactly a slouch in the Orange and White, though (let's not go into his NFL career or his post-playing days, shall we??). Peyton set a bunch of records, this is inarguable, but Heath Shuler's name was all over them prior to Peyton. I can semi-remember Heath at UT, mostly how weird I thought it was that a QB wore #21. So help me refresh my memory, talk to us about the pride of Bryson City, NC.....Heath Shuler.
If Heath had stayed his senior year it would be him we talk about like we do Peyton. He would be a beast in Heupel’s offense. Nothing against Cut, but Heath’s skills were unreal.

And who knows, his NFL career may have ended differently. The foot injury at Washington was career ending.

He QB'ed the most prolific offense Tennessee had ever had up until 2021.

aka the remnants of Hurricane Andrew. I was surprised the game was not postponed once the "downpour" started.
There was lightning all around the stadium that day. Many fans hardly saw Mose catch that ball it was raining so hard. Definitely storm of the decade in East Tennessee.

Heath was dual threat before dual threat was cool. He put that team on his back vs UGA and FLA just a week apart in 92’ and played lights out. I was at both games. You knew the Vols always had a legit shot to win with Shuler at QB. Made very few mistakes.

Edit: sorry @BACKDOC… I kept scrolling after I posted and saw I made the same comment as you. Great minds and all…

Last edited:
It's a shame with Heath Shuler. Most of the time when a QB is a bust, you either have a poor work ethic, bad mechanics, a substance abuse problem, a lack of arm strength or athleticism to point to. It's hard to understand why he was such a bust in Washington. He was only there 3 seasons and hardly played at all in 1996. The guy who beat him out (Gus Frerotte) was not that good.
He was a bust in Washington because of a toe injury and an old drunk radio announcer, Sonny Jorgensen bad mouthing him to the fan base because Jorgensen hated the fact that Shuler got a huge contract. Jorgensen was the Redskin’s QB in the late 50’s and early 60’s who never won anything but thought he was great. I always hated the Redskins because of him.

Was a tough, great player and great person. I was in HS at William Blount and he came and talked to us in the auditorium.That autograph is still at my parents house. That was when I became a Vol and began bleeding Orange.

Because Washington ruins all qb’s careers!
Here’s a good read from the Post on Shuler. Basically, his holdout from training camp, his youth and Norv Turner contributed to his demise.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...cked-wrong-qb-heath-shuler-is-fine-team-isnt/

VN Store

Back