Talk to us about......a two-fer.

iu

Chuck Webb was the greatest Vols running back I've seen over the last fifty years.

Cobb went on to play a few years for Tampa Bay Bucs.

Good ole Johnny Majors had us stacked deep in those years.

When is the last time we had a true running back drafted within the first 2-3 rounds by NFL?

Reactions: DeusExMachina
Chuck Webb was the greatest Vols running back I've seen over the last fifty years.

Cobb went on to play a few years for Tampa Bay Bucs.

Good ole Johnny Majors had us stacked deep in those years.

When is the last time we had a true running back drafted within the first 2-3 rounds by NFL?

Alvin Kamara, R3 #67 to the Saints.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Chuck Webb's stats show 2 punt returns as the only stats of his NFL career.
Is that correct?

I know Reggie Cobb was productive with the Buccaneers for a few seasons.

Chuck Webb's stats show 2 punt returns as the only stats of his NFL career.
Is that correct?

I know Reggie Cobb was productive with the Buccaneers for a few seasons.

As I recall, Chuck Webb was so good that the Packers drafted him just on the slight chance that he might recover.

So, he might have returned a couple of punts. But, he was never anywhere close to the same runner.

Sad to think about how much money he could have made in pro ball.

I was 27 in 1989, 4 years out of UT. The Vols were coming off a 5-6 season in which Cobb's production was way down after almost 1200 yards and 20 TD's as a freshman. Chuck Webb and Carl Pickens redshirted in 88. Two of the most talented players in UT history didn't play their first year on the Hill, which was something John Majors really believed in and he stuck with it after 5 straight losses.

So we knew what Cobb could do, but Chuck Webb was a phenom. I'd still pick him first if I was picking an all Vol team in their prime based on talent alone. He had another gear he could use when he needed it. He also had off field issues and stole a teammates debit card. So neither of the Cobb-Webb duo were without warts.

For talent and integrity, I like Aaron Hayden, Little Man Stewart and Charlie Garner better in 92 and 93.

Alvin Kamara, R3 #67 to the Saints.

Not better. Though I wish Butch would have known how to use him. The coaches took Webb out of the Ole Miss game because they thought he already had 300 yards as I recall. He didn't play the last 4 or 5 minutes of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeusExMachina
Both Cobb and Webb were great. Arguments could be made for each having maybe the best game by a Vols RB- Cobb's game against Auburn in 1989 and not only Webb's game against Ole Miss but his Cotton Bowl vs. Arkansas are right up there. It's funny but one thing I always remember was that after Reggie got dismissed from the team leading up to the Bama game, that day in Legion Field as the teams were warming up this pre-recorded message with Bama coach Bill Curry came over the P.A. talking about the dangers of drugs. I always wondered if the folks in Birmingham played that as a little extra twist of the knife on Tennessee or to psych us out. Whether that contributed or not, missing Reggie sure did and they gave us our only loss of the season as we split the SEC title 3 ways with them and Auburn. Now I was a student on the Hill then and goodness knows wacky tobacky, amongst other things, were not unknown to the student body at large, but, God rest his soul, I sure wish Reggie could have laid off until say the 4th Saturday that October.

I remember being at a game or two when Cobb/Webb was alive and kicking. The cheerleaders had one side of the stadium yell Cobb (they held up signs) and then the other side of the stadium said Webb. The echos of Cobb/Webb still haunt the hallowed halls of Neyland Stadium. Shame their dynasty wasn't longer.

Little history here:

In the 1980s Auburn was known for their tough defense. No one was able to run on Auburnā€”until this day on Rocky Top, as the Big Orange combo of Reggie Cobb and Chuck Webb ran for 354 yards in the rain.

The weather was a big factor on the Auburn side, as two long snaps sailed over the Auburn punter's head for safeties in the first half. The Vols also got a field goal and a wonderful 79-yard TD run from Reggie Cobb to take a 14-3 lead at the half.

With 11:30 left in the fourth quarter, Auburn quarterback Reggie Slack connected with Alexander Wright for an 83-yard TD. A two-point conversion cut the Vols' lead to a field goal, 14-11.

The Vols got the momentum back after a Shazzon Bradley INT, and a nine-yard TD run by Chuck Webb put the Vols up 21-11 with 5:50 left.

Auburn kept fighting. The Tigers got a field goal and then an onside kick with 2:45 left to get one more chance, but the Vols' defense got the turnover on downs to seal the win, 21-14, as the goalposts came down in Knoxville.

The Big Play

Cobb's 79-yard touchdown run was the highlight of a 225-yard performance, which would end up being his swan song as he got kicked off the team for drug use after the Georgia game the next week.
Go to the 1:20 mark and watch the block McRae hadā€¦. He murdered his man
https://youtube.com/watch?v=yS13SzLfzWM

Last edited:
Reactions: peaygolf
Lewis and Henry are our most talented tandem ever. Chuck Webb before his injury was the best running back Tennessee has ever had and that is saying a lot. Cobb and Webb were a great tandem but they are 2nd behind Lewis and Henry. Travis Stephens was also a great running back that played behind them and was great in his own right. We were ultra loaded with great running back talent back then. But Webb had it all. Power,vision, cut back ability and break away speed. He was a natural with the perfect build. GBO

Reactions: DuckInAPen
How about when we had both Leonard Little and Al Wilson on the field at the same time.

Also, John Henderson and Albert Haynesworth.

Different sport but the "Ernie and Bernie Show" was pretty magical.

If we can ever line up a pair of DTs as good as Henderson and Haynesworth, I volunteer to be the DCā€¦most college OLs would struggle to stop one but those guys side by side were a nightmare for everyone except usā€¦maybe with some of our returning DTs and some of the new talent that came in we can get close to H&H next season.

Cobb and Webb had the best on field in play vision I have ever witnessed by running backs. They always found open field and their ability to get there was where their vision took them. You cannot teach that, it is/was a gift.

VN Store

Back