Takeways

D3Athlete

D3Golfer
I’m a Vols fan that just entered his early twenties, and last time we were revenant when I was third grade, and I am going to do some takeaways if that is okay.

1. JG has killed this team. Whatever momentum we had this season is gone because of him, and starting to translate to the whole team as we saw today, especially in the second half.
2. It too early to start the Pruitt isn’t the man for the job yet, that still out to be decided. Yes, it is extremely disappointing to see how the qb situation has been handle (if I see jg trot his butt out there next week I’m gonna be pissed and have serious doubts ) but still need to see how the team truly is with a qb that can’t make us one dimensional.
3. The biggest thing today is the whole team quit today. That was the biggest disappointment how they rolled over and just laid down. That is something we haven’t seen in a while, and it sucked to see again.
4. If the offense was able to give a defense a rest, this defense could be top 3 in the SEC. The defense not getting a break just kills them, has we only had 1 first down in the second half before Bailey came in.
5. Finally, if we had a trustworthy qb we are definitely not 2-2 for sure. We are better than Kentucky, just Jg killed everything today and coaches didn’t respond good(which worries me a lot) so if we a new qb can bring new energy, it could some what salvage this season

Agree or disagree with what I got to say, but that the takeaways I have from today.

The question I have is in year 3 how does Tennessee have the worst quarterbacks in the country. That's on the staff

Reactions: chuckb1448
Failure to develop a quality SEC qb is alarming. JG is one of the worst SEC qbs I have ever seen for his number of starts. There will be a change. Chaney and staff surely finally realize what they are working with after today's debacle. Shrout will get a long look this week. There is no reason now with the season in the toilet to not play a younger qb. I wonder if Hill, the transfer from Maryland, would not have gotten a shot to start if he had stayed around. Pretty fair assessment of the situation. No team can win with JG - he simply goes off the rails half the time. Pruitt and Chaney are on the clock to find a qb - and develop several into SEC quality players. If there is no limit on team "scrimmages" have three a week to get Bailey ready.

Reactions: D3Athlete
I’m a Vols fan that just entered his early twenties, and last time we were revenant when I was third grade, and I am going to do some takeaways if that is okay.

1. JG has killed this team. Whatever momentum we had this season is gone because of him, and starting to translate to the whole team as we saw today, especially in the second half.
2. It too early to start the Pruitt isn’t the man for the job yet, that still out to be decided. Yes, it is extremely disappointing to see how the qb situation has been handle (if I see jg trot his butt out there next week I’m gonna be pissed and have serious doubts ) but still need to see how the team truly is with a qb that can’t make us one dimensional.
3. The biggest thing today is the whole team quit today. That was the biggest disappointment how they rolled over and just laid down. That is something we haven’t seen in a while, and it sucked to see again.
4. If the offense was able to give a defense a rest, this defense could be top 3 in the SEC. The defense not getting a break just kills them, has we only had 1 first down in the second half before Bailey came in.
5. Finally, if we had a trustworthy qb we are definitely not 2-2 for sure. We are better than Kentucky, just Jg killed everything today and coaches didn’t respond good(which worries me a lot) so if we a new qb can bring new energy, it could some what salvage this season

Agree or disagree with what I got to say, but that the takeaways I have from today.

He gave the defense a rest in the first half...Back to back pick 6's keeps the O on the field...I don't think Pruitt/Chaney has invested hardly any time in developing a backup QB...Think that changes this week, however

He gave the defense a rest in the first half...Back to back pick 6's keeps the O on the field...I don't think Pruitt/Chaney has invested hardly any time in developing a backup QB...Think that changes this week, however
Man I hope. If we don’t see changes this week then it just gonna get worse like 2017 did.

The younger QB’s definitely need more reps.
JG has had multiple chances. Time to move on.

Also, overall player development is lacking.
That’s a MAJOR concern......

I agree with most of what you said, especially about how worrisome our coaches responded to the QB situation today. Normally I'd say there's no way we trot a young QB out against Bama (been saying this for 3 years) but my goodness he's got to take some action. I think it's pretty telling that he had the scrimmage last week with HB taking 100% of snaps and that Bailey played more snaps than Shrout today and Maurer got none. I believe coach is about ready to give HB the practice reps to see what he can do. Like you said, we aren't nearly as bad as we looked today if we could get decent QB play.

Qb play is right at the top of the list in this league, it is the single most reason we are 2-2. This game is all on JG, we were moving the ball much better than Kentucky when JG game them 14 points. In fact they scored all their first half points off turnovers and only 3 on the defense. Without the pick 6's it's 7-3 Tennessee at half. JG lost the game today, had our Offense moved the ball at all with the pick 6's our defense would not have been in the situation they were in the 2nd half. GBO!!!!!!

Why in the F is this kid still starting at QB?!?! It’s like a nightmare that you can’t wake up from. Pruitt has restocked the team, rebuilt the defense but the team needs a QB; it has needed one the entire time he has been coach at UT. For it still not to be addressed with a QB that gives us a better chance of winning is absolutely damning for him as a coach.

Most Vol fans called this QB play out back last year. But of course there are always people that need to be hit in the face with the cold hard facts. Well the Cats B slap the coaches the player and all the sunshine pumpers in the face this afternoon. It's time to bring the freshman in and let him play take his licks and his lessons. Wouldn't mind seeing some of the younger RB's get some playing time too.

I think the hardest thing to take is the team seemed to quit today. We need someone to step up and be the leader. I think henery T is to a degree, but we need someone one else. We just play flat and with no passion.

The lack of desire and passion is what bothers me most. Dont like getting beat but I have taken my share of losses. Goes alot better when you see 100 percent effort.

VN Store

Back