Takes time to build a program.

How much time does it take to rebuild a program? kansas is winning and they have been a disaster for a long time. Above all else they arent Les Miles' players. So pruitt has no excuses
Comparing inexperience Pruitt to legendary Les Miles? Really?

Coach Pruitt should have 5 years, nothing less, to try to establish "our" program...

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT THE GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One has a much better job than the other.

HMMM
True, but Pruitt is still a new coach with a crap roster. He's never had to build up players. He's used to having elite players to work with. He's brought in some talented kids who need time to gain experience, and Pruitt needs time to get more of them and flip the roster. Miles has light years more head coaching experience. Can't compare apples to oranges here.

I think we will see improvement in alot of areas by the end of this year, it may not be a total team improvement but you can see the impact already of the freshman class he recruited, these are kids the other big schools wanted too, not players we snatched from mid level schools, when we have a full roster of these type players we will win and if we dont then we move on but we have a full cupboard, he is by far the best recruiter of the last few coaches cept for Kiffin maybe.

So he
Pruitt won't be given 6 years, but as you can see it takes time to show improvement.

Uh Stoops had 2 wins his first year. Can't punish Pruitt for overachieving his first year with this "talent" Be happy with 5 because it is unlikely he can do it this year.
Over achieved with other's talent but gets worse with his own? With players that didn't fit his system? That isn't an endorsement of the coach, quite the opposite actually. I'm not a proponent of firing Pruitt but the early returns are not very good, even giving the benefit of the doubt. He's chewed up a lot of good will with the start this year, that was a team that wasn't ready to play in any facet of the game, that isn't excusable.

True, but Pruitt is still a new coach with a crap roster. He's never had to build up players. He's used to having elite players to work with. He's brought in some talented kids who need time to gain experience, and Pruitt needs time to get more of them and flip the roster. Miles has light years more head coaching experience. Can't compare apples to oranges here.

So you’re saying we hired the wrong guy?

I was just saying that if Miles is so much better, as was being alluded to, then why does he have one of the worst P5 jobs in the country, while our stooge has one of the best.

So you’re saying we hired the wrong guy?
I have no clue. I'd say the situation isn't ideal, but we have an inept admin and we were a dumpster fire before our inexperienced head coach was hired. He's got a tall order. I hope he's got what it takes, we'll see.

Using this thought process, Derek Dooley should still be the coach at Tennessee.
Dooley wanted out after 2 years. No sign of that from Pruitt. Guess people can give their argument on both sides, but I believe you’ve got to give a very good FOOTBALL COACH some time to build and grow into the position. Surely, we’ve seen what constantly changing coaches has done the last decade, and it’s nit good.

Reactions: Alto1
I was just saying that if Miles is so much better, as was being alluded to, then why does he have one of the worst P5 jobs in the country, while our stooge has one of the best.
Idk, our admins a real head-scratcher. I also don't know if LM is better. Right now he is. Kinda like how you have a talented freshman vs a seasoned veteran. That freshman has more talent but won't tap into their full potential until they gain experience. That's how I see it anyway. I'm no expert lol, just speculating.

It's going to take wins and losses to change our minds of course. He is my football coach and I am going to support until year 3 though. I turned on Butch and Dooley because of his dumbass calls on the field. Pruitt hasn't made any calls on the field that I have really questioned so far.
I'm tired of him going for it on 4th and short when we're in field goal range. Our OL isn't that experienced and even Ga.St. packed it in and stuffed us twice. We had one succesfull conversion against Gast, the 1st attempt. Same with BYU, we converted 1st attempt. Left 6 much needed points on the field in BYU game. This is where inexperience shows. He's bull-headed,stubborn to a fault. We aren't Bama yet. We seem to have an excellent placekicker also.

Idk, our admins a real head-scratcher. I also don't know if LM is better. Right now he is. Kinda like how you have a talented freshman vs a seasoned veteran. That freshman has more talent but won't tap into their full potential until they gain experience. That's how I see it anyway. I'm no expert lol, just speculating.

I understand.

Still miffed that our job is treated as a “learn on the fly” type of gig.

But, it is what it is. Pruitt better get to learnin’.....quick.

Reactions: Titan05
I understand.

Still miffed that our job is treated as a “learn on the fly” type of gig.

But, it is what it is. Pruitt better get to learnin’.....quick.
Yeah I don't get that either. Wish I was a fly on the wall in the admin meetings.

I have never called for Pruitt to be fired. Dooley was given 3 years. And really only had two full recruiting classes. We should bring him back to finish up.

Edit: As a matter of fact, I have specifically said on this message board that Pruitt should not be fired.

Full... That's a bit of an overreach there. The fact that he failed to recruit, particularly offensive lineman for one year was a giant flag saying he needed gone.

Dooley wanted out after 2 years. No sign of that from Pruitt. Guess people can give their argument on both sides, but I believe you’ve got to give a very good FOOTBALL COACH some time to build and grow into the position. Surely, we’ve seen what constantly changing coaches has done the last decade, and it’s nit good.

We have no evidence that Pruitt is a very good football coach.

He’s fair game right now.

A great coach once said “I’ll take mine and beat yours and I’ll take yours and beat mine”.

No one claimed Pruitt was a great coach right now. He's got some tools but still has room to learn and grow...just like his team. I'd say Saban is a great coach, but his early history was bumpy. Lots of examples both ways, but when a program is as down as ours, it's hard to beat experienced teams in this league.

Did you happen to notice the improvement over year one and two with MS?

We havent improved, actually we look worse.

Lastly, I cant understand the repeated threads trying to get people to change their opinion on Pruitt. It's a simple concept. First, none of us hold any influence over that decision. Secondly, most people on here that dont care for Pruitt, base that decision in the way the vols have played and nothing, no a single comparison to an outside program will change anyones mind. The single factor that will change people's minds is better play on the field and winning football games. (For those that think like me, please feel free to correct me if I misrepresented you)
Nope
Perfect representation of my thoughts.

I think he was a mistake hire but hope im proven wrong and we make a bowl game this year and continue year over year improving the win total. I dont expect that but know its an outside possibility.

No one claimed Pruitt was a great coach right now. He's got some tools but still has room to learn and grow...just like his team. I'd say Saban is a great coach, but his early history was bumpy. Lots of examples both ways, but when a program is as down as ours, it's hard to beat experienced teams in this league.
When will the ridiculous Saban comparisons stop??

Pruitt won't be given 6 years, but as you can see it takes time to show improvement.

Uh Stoops had 2 wins his first year. Can't punish Pruitt for overachieving his first year with this "talent" Be happy with 5 because it is unlikely he can do it this year.
He over achieved with 5 wins??? Our recruiting classes are consistently in the top 25 yet 5 wins last year was over achieving?

VN Store

Back