Takes on Joe Milton after his first career start last year against Minnesota

Just goes to show you can't take much from week one honestly..Yea I'm def in wait and see mode,but that's why it's called "wait and see".This Pitt D will give us all we want,so id love nothing more than this offense to shine and continue to grow their confidence.If Milton falters,then I believe Hooker is capable of handling things.

but...but...but...there is a "consensus" around here...from ALL the "Armchair Coaching Wonders" around here...that have a DIFFERENT "take" from this years start...

and their "feelings' are a little sore...

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
but...but...but...there is a "consensus" around here...from ALL the "Armchair Coaching Wonders" around here...that have a DIFFERENT "take" from this years start...

and their "feelings' are a little sore...
Everyone has different opinions about whether or not he will excel here, and that's fine. I'm just asking that people give him more than one game before they dig their heels in. Let's see if he shows improvement this week.

New offense, new QB running the offense, and also 10 other guys on offense getting use to the new offense playing as a team under the lights…that puts it into perspective. The hope is we see improvements from each game going forward.

Michigan didn’t give up on Joe so we need to stay the course. They’ll be some lumps but this is the best we have. He can do it all or that’s what I heard.

Reactions: TucsonVol
Michigan didn’t give up on Joe so we need to stay the course. They’ll be some lumps but this is the best we have. He can do it all or that’s what I heard.

Um...they did. They went 1-4 with the only win being a triple overtime slug-fest with heavyweight....Ohio S.....Rutgers. Rutgers.

Rutgers.

Just goes to show you can't take much from week one honestly..Yea I'm def in wait and see mode,but that's why it's called "wait and see".This Pitt D will give us all we want,so id love nothing more than this offense to shine and continue to grow their confidence.If Milton falters,then I believe Hooker is capable of handling things.
How far we've fallen and continued for years, that this is a true statement.

Everyone has different opinions about whether or not he will excel here, and that's fine. I'm just asking that people give him more than one game before they did their heels in. Let's see if he shows improvement this week.
JH really seems to know what he wants in a QB, and without being obnoxious in the pressers, pretty much said he expects more. I don't get the feeling the leash will be terribly long...give Milton a chance, then next man up. I'd love to be settled at QB.

I know, I know. ANOTHER Milton thread. Here are some headlines and comments from Milton's first game as a starter last year. Because one game -- the first game of the year, especially -- means everything to some.

https://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/status/1320186584545685504

View attachment 392549

View attachment 392551

View attachment 392552

View attachment 392554

View attachment 392555

View attachment 392556

View attachment 392558

View attachment 392559

What does this have to do with his performance Thursday night? Milton needs to get it together or we’ll need another one of the QBs step up so this team can reach its potential.

I went back and watched every single offensive play on the Tennessee vs Bowling Green - every play in 23 minutes thread. It wasn't quite as bad as I recall from Thursday. I think that I was just expecting a better performance after hearing how good he looked in fall camp.

There were 3 runs where I think he just gave up too soon or didn't make the cut upfield. The run for the touchdown was a great play with him using his free arm to push the defender's helmet down and ran into the endzone. Would like for him to showcase some speed and strength. He had some good plays and bad plays. 4 or 5 obvious plays where the receivers did not help him out. However, there were 4 or 5 plays where he had no touch on his throws resulting in bad overthrows. I sure how that they can get that corrected.

What does this have to do with his performance Thursday night? Milton needs to get it together or we’ll need another one of the QBs step up so this team can reach its potential.
The point is more about giving the guy more than one game, on a team where he wasn’t even here for spring, before people doom him to eternal clipboard holder.

I went back and watched every single offensive play on the Tennessee vs Bowling Green - every play in 23 minutes thread. It wasn't quite as bad as I recall from Thursday. I think that I was just expecting a better performance after hearing how good he looked in fall camp.

There were 3 runs where I think he just gave up too soon or didn't make the cut upfield. The run for the touchdown was a great play with him using his free arm to push the defender's helmet down and ran into the endzone. Would like for him to showcase some speed and strength. He had some good plays and bad plays. 4 or 5 obvious plays where the receivers did not help him out. However, there were 4 or 5 plays where he had no touch on his throws resulting in bad overthrows. I sure how that they can get that corrected.
I think you hit on an important point. We heard a lot of hype out of practice about Milton and the expectations were pretty high. Mine included. He certainly didn’t play as well as I thought he would. But I think it’s possible, with Huepel’s coaching, that he can improve.

Let’s be honest, he likely didn’t get world class quarterback coaching at Michigan, considering their track record under CJH. Lol.

Not the same dude...the QB our first game sucks...he k...let's see if they want him back...fingers crossed
He’s not the same dude because he had some issues in a new offense after only a single fall practice? It’s impossible he can improve, even though he showed the flashes last year of being capable before the injury? Ok.

With his size, he needs to run with a bit more authority, for sure.

Hopefully he can connect on a couple of those deep balls this week that he missed last week.

He’s not the same dude because he had some issues in a new offense after only a single fall practice? It’s impossible he can improve, even though he showed the flashes last year of being capable before the injury? Ok.
What I hurt your feelings with an opinion...lmbo...sorry Mr Milton

Reactions: ohnnyvol1
Everyone has different opinions about whether or not he will excel here, and that's fine. I'm just asking that people give him more than one game before they did their heels in. Let's see if he shows improvement this week.

I agree. He needs more than one game here to see just how good he is. This, especially when we get into the meet of the schedule against stiff(er) competition.

Reactions: GoVolunteers
Just asking some valid questions to a vague statement that he's not the same guy, and can't become that guy moving forward.
Ok well how bout this...tired of excuses...we had something better in our arsenal but didn't take advantage of it...yes I'm talking bout Bailey....he did great in the spring game ...had some beautiful drives...better than what Milton gave us... frustrating part is we have a supposed QB coach that didn't see that...is what it is...same ole crap...every year...same stuff

Ok well how bout this...tired of excuses...we had something better in our arsenal but didn't take advantage of it...yes I'm talking bout Bailey....he did great in the spring game ...had some beautiful drives...better than what Milton gave us... frustrating part is we have a supposed QB coach that didn't see that...is what it is...same ole crap...every year...same stuff
Fair opinion. I'm not debating who is the best quarterback on the roster. I have no idea. CJH thinks it's Milton and I simply think we need to give him more than one game to make that determination.

You bring up another good point. The spring game. Milton wasn't here for it. I think that's a big obstacle to overcome.

Milton put up some decent numbers before he got hurt last year... weather that was caused by the injury or other factors, who knows. He surely looked good and got a lot of attention after that Minnesota game. And I think Heupel has a pretty good track record with quarterbacks, so I think it's possible there's a lot of improvement to be had from what we saw in week one.

Good point...hope u r right...itching for Tennessee to bring back days of old...seems like wait has been long enough but I'm willing to give a kid a fair shake....wish him the best of luck on Saturday!

VN Store

Back