Take Aways from the Fall

Vol_Fan_2019

What are your take aways from the fall? Anybody just stand out or prove they deserve a spot for sure this spring pitching or hitting,? Anybody lose ground, disappointments?

I think most of the returning contributors from last year proved it was not a fluke. The starting fielders and pitchers who had significant innings all proved they will be back. I must admit that Evan looked really good behind the plate. Came a long way this fall and I think will only get better. Luc, Logan, Beck, Drew, Sewell, Redmond, Kirby, and McGlothlin all showed last year was not a fluke. Blade will be fine and should be the Friday guy. Booker, Lawson, Lipscomb, Mabrey, Taylor, Scott, and Joyce will get playing time. Others showed they can play but only so many slots available and I'm afraid some good players will get left out this spring just because you can only throw so many guys and have so many fielders. Early on you have to use weekday and weekend games to get your best ready for SEC play and then the slots get penciled in unless someone just really shows out. Burns and Burke were two freshmen that really stood out to me but a lot of really good freshmen and juco transfers along with Dollander and Halverson will help.
I told someone Saturday I would hate to have to fill out the starting lineups because you have several guys who are right there together for positions. Could be a coin toss as to who is better at several positions.

I think most of the returning contributors from last year proved it was not a fluke. The starting fielders and pitchers who had significant innings all proved they will be back. I must admit that Evan looked really good behind the plate. Came a long way this fall and I think will only get better. Luc, Logan, Beck, Drew, Sewell, Redmond, Kirby, and McGlothlin all showed last year was not a fluke. Blade will be fine and should be the Friday guy. Booker, Lawson, Lipscomb, Mabrey, Taylor, Scott, and Joyce will get playing time. Others showed they can play but only so many slots available and I'm afraid some good players will get left out this spring just because you can only throw so many guys and have so many fielders. Early on you have to use weekday and weekend games to get your best ready for SEC play and then the slots get penciled in unless someone just really shows out. Burns and Burke were two freshmen that really stood out to me but a lot of really good freshmen and juco transfers along with Dollander and Halverson will help.
I told someone Saturday I would hate to have to fill out the starting lineups because you have several guys who are right there together for positions. Could be a coin toss as to who is better at several positions.

Looks like a lot of healthy problems to have. Thanks for the update, preacherman.

Do you see opportunities to platoon lefty and righty hitters at the same position? ex-First Base? Who do you think would be the DH(s)?

Here’s my take on the fall . I have to agree with Preacherman on Evan. Really really surprised to be honest that he already looks that good behind the plate.
Below is my starting lineup from what I have seen
1) Booker - LF
2 Russell - C
3 ) Gilbert - CF
4 ) Beck - Rf
5 ) Chambers - DH
6) lipscomb- 3b
7 luc - 1b
8) Cortland - Ss
9 Streensta- 2b

Moore , Stephenson, Ortega , Burke , Taylor
And Scott give you Depth .

I want to comment on some of my decisions of my lineup, based on what I have seen this fall.
1) Russell seemed to have a different approach and I heard and interview stating he was getting back to being more of a contact hitter. Instead of all or nothing .But what impressed me most is his handling of pitchers .
2) Charlie Taylor is a really solid defensive catcher and will log some innings this year and has a future at UT at Catcher. Gives some great depth at this position. I can see him catching midweek and even late innings too on the weekends.

3) 2b , Ss and 3b is 6 deep and all 6 are competing for playing time . To me lipscomb and Larson are the 2 front runners and the other 4 are battling for 2b and I don’t think there is a bad option.
There is one tool that separates the four for me and that’s Stephensons speed. He has some serious wheels but he just didn’t stand out to me really. Kind of puzzled really.

Outfield is set and has nice depth.

Pitching - weekend rotation
Tidwell
Dollander
Halverson

Weekend pen
Mabry , Walsh , Kirby , seachrest
Joyce , Sewell , Mark , fitzgibboms and all others.

Mabry , Evan’s and Kirby impressed me

I look for others to get some innings as well
midweek guys
Fanning , Evans , Beam , McCracken and others .

I don’t have a roster in front of me and I don’t remember all their names but don’t meAn to leave anyone out .

These are my thoughts but overall I would say this team could be special! The talent level is there across the board. I really can’t see any major holes. Honestly! I think this team will be in the tops in the country in Pitching , defense and offensive numbers!
I don’t see this staff giving up many earned runs! Should be fun.

Here’s my take on the fall . I have to agree with Preacherman on Evan. Really really surprised to be honest that he already looks that good behind the plate.
Below is my starting lineup from what I have seen
1) Booker - LF
2 Russell - C
3 ) Gilbert - CF
4 ) Beck - Rf
5 ) Chambers - DH
6) lipscomb- 3b
7 luc - 1b
8) Cortland - Ss
9 Streensta- 2b

Moore , Stephenson, Ortega , Burke , Taylor
And Scott give you Depth .

I want to comment on some of my decisions of my lineup, based on what I have seen this fall.
1) Russell seemed to have a different approach and I heard and interview stating he was getting back to being more of a contact hitter. Instead of all or nothing .But what impressed me most is his handling of pitchers .
2) Charlie Taylor is a really solid defensive catcher and will log some innings this year and has a future at UT at Catcher. Gives some great depth at this position. I can see him catching midweek and even late innings too on the weekends.

3) 2b , Ss and 3b is 6 deep and all 6 are competing for playing time . To me lipscomb and Larson are the 2 front runners and the other 4 are battling for 2b and I don’t think there is a bad option.
There is one tool that separates the four for me and that’s Stephensons speed. He has some serious wheels but he just didn’t stand out to me really. Kind of puzzled really.

Outfield is set and has nice depth.

Pitching - weekend rotation
Tidwell
Dollander
Halverson

Weekend pen
Mabry , Walsh , Kirby , seachrest
Joyce , Sewell , Mark , fitzgibboms and all others.

Mabry , Evan’s and Kirby impressed me

I look for others to get some innings as well
midweek guys
Fanning , Evans , Beam , McCracken and others .

I don’t have a roster in front of me and I don’t remember all their names but don’t meAn to leave anyone out .

These are my thoughts but overall I would say this team could be special! The talent level is there across the board. I really can’t see any major holes. Honestly! I think this team will be in the tops in the country in Pitching , defense and offensive numbers!
I don’t see this staff giving up many earned runs! Should be fun.
Where do you see Burns?

Where do you see Burns?
I totally forgot about Burns. I see him out of the pen , kind of l filling the role of Hundley from last year and Sewell as well. And I think both of them will pay dividends during post Season, with Fire baller Joyce a dominant force , especially when he’s 100 percent ,
Meaning after he logs some innings !!
That gives you depth that last years team missed. I personally think we had so much pressure on Hundley’s arm and it showed at the end. Hard to ride one horse. Ask Arkansas.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the day, for me…based on what I’ve seen….one word comes to mind. Deep. We haven’t had that around here in a good while. I don’t envy the staff having to keep this much talent happy, however, that’s a problem we want I reckon.

GBO!!!

Reading thru the threads, having watched the all of the Fall games. The pitching will be the difference maker this year where it was trying to keep up with the hitting last year.

Weekend Starters:

Tidwell (Fri Nights)
Dollander (Sat)
Burns (Sun)
Sewell (In case of injury to the above)

Middle Relievers:

Kirby
Red
Halverson
Mabrey
Fanning

Closers:

Joyce
McLaughlin
Sewell

Just my 2 cents worth

Best of health to all. This could be one heck of a season!

Reading thru the threads, having watched the all of the Fall games. The pitching will be the difference maker this year where it was trying to keep up with the hitting last year.

Weekend Starters:

Tidwell (Fri Nights)
Dollander (Sat)
Burns (Sun)
Sewell (In case of injury to the above)

Middle Relievers:

Kirby
Red
Halverson
Mabrey
Fanning

Closers:

Joyce
McLaughlin
Sewell

Just my 2 cents worth

Best of health to all. This could be one heck of a season!

Thanks for posting that. Do you see a separate named mid-week starter or do you think that will be done by committee? Would Sewell be the mid-week starter?

I totally forgot about Burns. I see him out of the pen , kind of l filling the role of Hundley from last year and Sewell as well. And I think both of them will pay dividends during post Season, with Fire baller Joyce a dominant force , especially when he’s 100 percent ,
Meaning after he logs some innings !!
That gives you depth that last years team missed. I personally think we had so much pressure on Hundley’s arm and it showed at the end. Hard to ride one horse. Ask Arkansas.
Agree on several points. Just as important as having good stuff on the mound, is what is between the ears. It takes a special mentality to be a closer in the SEC, or at any level. Most every game is tight, no room for error, and the intensity can be through the roof. Will be interesting to see which of our guys steps up to fill that role this year. It’s one of those roles that can make a significant impact on a game and a season.

I think you will see some of the young guys, sophomores and freshmen, who will be mid-week starters but they will only go a few innings. It will never be a true starter role but who gets to pitch first. If it holds true to past years the mid-week games will be pitching by committee with only a few not getting innings who are getting plenty of innings during weekend unless the train runs off the tracks since all of them will be home games this year. He will have everyone dressed but the ones who pitch the weekends in relief and closing would not pitch mid-week unless they have to.

I think this year you will see starter, leftie, rightie as closer or another leftie and then rightie as closer. With the lefties being pitch to contact guys with good stuff it is a good mix. Can you imagine facing a rightie upper 90's then Kirby or Redmond then back to 100's rightie guy?

Thanks for posting that. Do you see a separate named mid-week starter or do you think that will be done by committee? Would Sewell be the mid-week starter?
They will typically go with a committee approach in the midweek as the season progresses. Solid pitchers that don’t get any weekend innings and relievers from the weekend that didn’t get their usual innings due to the weekend game situations.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
OK, so looks like midweek games are worked by those pitchers who didn't get weekend work but need to stay sharp for the team just in case they're needed on the weekends. Thanks for the explanation.

The weekend guys are the weekend guys, I can't see them bleeding off of SEC weekend play to pitch against a non-conference opponent on Tuesdays once the season gets going. The exception I could see would be in the first part of the season to get them innings against Iona, UNC Ashe, ETSU, etc. And not all of them need innings. i.e., Tidwell no, but Burns, Dollander, Joyce, yes. But once the season gets going, no dice. Time to get serious and put the peddle down on the weekends. And remember, we jump right into that event at Minute Maid in Houston with Texas, Baylor, OK, UCLA, and LSU. We sure will see what our weekend pitching and hitting are made of in the beginning of March.

The weekend guys are the weekend guys, I can't see them bleeding off of SEC weekend play to pitch against a non-conference opponent on Tuesdays once the season gets going. The exception I could see would be in the first part of the season to get them innings against Iona, UNC Ashe, ETSU, etc. And not all of them need innings. i.e., Tidwell no, but Burns, Dollander, Joyce, yes. But once the season gets going, no dice. Time to get serious and put the peddle down on the weekends. And remember, we jump right into that event at Minute Maid in Houston with Texas, Baylor, OK, UCLA, and LSU. We sure will see what our weekend pitching and hitting are made of in the beginning of March.
Can't wait for that!

I'll take a stab at a lineup:

Lineup

Evan Russell/Charlie Taylor-C

Luc Lipcious/Blake Burke-1B

Seth Stephenson/Christian Moore-2B

Cortland Lawson/Logan Steenstra-SS

Trey Lipscomb/Jorel Ortega-3B

Drew Gilbert/Hunter Ensley-LF

Kyle Booker/Christian Scott-CF

Jordan Beck/Jared Dickey-RF

Others
Logan Chambers-INF

Ethan Payne-OF

Weekend Starters

Blade Tidwell-RHP

Chase Dollander-RHP

Seth Halvorsen-RHP

Midweek/Middle Relief
Camden Sewell-RHP

Chase Burns-RHP

Kirby Connell-LHP

Mark McLaughlin-RHP

Will Mabery-LHP

Kruise Newman-RHP

J.D. McCracken-LHP

Closers
Ben Joyce-RHP

Redmond Walsh-LHP

Last edited:
I'll take a stab at a lineup:

Lineup

Evan Russell/Charlie Taylor-C

Luc Lipcious/Blake Burke-1B

Seth Stephenson/Christian Moore-2B

Cortland Lawson/Logan Steenstra-SS

Trey Lipscomb/Jorel Ortega-3B

Drew Gilbert/Hunter Ensley-LF

Kyle Booker/Christian Scott-CF

Jordan Beck/Jared Dickey-RF

Others
Logan Chambers-INF

Ethan Payne-OF

Weekend Starters

Blade Tidwell-RHP

Chase Dollander-RHP

Seth Halvorsen-RHP

Midweek/Middle Relief
Camden Sewell-RHP

Chase Burns-RHP

Kirby Connell-LHP

Mark McLaughlin-RHP

Will Mabery-LHP

Kruise Newman-RHP

J.D. McCracken-LHP

Closers
Ben Joyce-RHP

Redmond Walsh-LHP
Looks really promising for this new 2022 season for sure a lot of talent added to what we lost. My thoughts are about same as everyone else just a few minor changes, Drew Gilbert CF, Kyle Booker LF,Steenstra 2nd really 2nd base is probably going to be only position I can see used by a platoon. Probably won’t see Kruise Newman! I honestly think Dollander will be the Friday night guy and Tidwell Saturday guy.

I will agree on Drew in center and Booker in left. I also think Steenstra will be second and Lawson short. They seem like a good combo there. I did not see any of the weekend starters the road very much other than Burns who looked good. I know the coaches have a better opinion of who will help in what areas. Hoping that Blade’s shoulder is really just minor. Did not see enough of the other freshman pitchers to have an opinion.

VN Store

Back