T Awaka production

They're pretty much the same height. Oscar is 6'9 and Tobe is 6'8. The difference is Oscar turns 23 in a week and Tobe turns 19 in two months. There's still a chance that Tobe isn't done growing yet.
And Tobe is a freshman while Oscar is a senior. Experience matters in the post. If he keeps rebounding and defending the way he does, and eventually develops some post moves on offense, I can see him being a poor man's Tshiebwe, which is what excited me when we recruited him.

I've been begging for us to find a rebounding machine for years, and it looks like we finally have found one. 4 pts, 5 boards, 1 asst in 7 minutes is very encouraging for a kid in his third game. No risk of him leaving early for the pros, but a serious developmental project.

If Olivier Nkamhoua played as hard as Awaka does, he'd be a first-team All-SEC player. Just last night, as an example, ON had 1 rebound in 26 minutes. Awaka had 5 in 7 minutes. Heck, Zakai Zeigler had 6 rebounds and ON is a foot taller than him. I've rode hir rear-end for 3 years over the same issue, so I guess I just need to accept that it likely won't ever change over the long-haul. He'll bust his hump in spurts, but it's never consistent.

And Tobe is a freshman while Oscar is a senior. Experience matters in the post. If he keeps rebounding and defending the way he does, and eventually develops some post moves on offense, I can see him being a poor man's Tshiebwe, which is what excited me when we recruited him.

I've been begging for us to find a rebounding machine for years, and it looks like we finally have found one. 4 pts, 5 boards, 1 asst in 7 minutes is very encouraging for a kid in his third game. No risk of him leaving early for the pros, but a serious developmental project.

If Olivier Nkamhoua played as hard as Awaka does, he'd be a first-team All-SEC player. Just last night, as an example, ON had 1 rebound in 26 minutes. Awaka had 5 in 7 minutes. Heck, Zakai Zeigler had 6 rebounds and ON is a foot taller than him. I've rode hir rear-end for 3 years over the same issue, so I guess I just need to accept that it likely won't ever change over the long-haul. He'll bust his hump in spurts, but it's never consistent.

As I recall, whenever Awaka arrived on campus, he was very raw but his aggression is what separates him from the others.

How many times have we had big men absolutely get bullied in the post?

Apparently the other players hate being guarded by him in practice due to being so physical.

ON had 12 boards against the Zags IIRC. It’s in him, just doesn’t consistently bring the intensity

Believe he's talking about when he's guarded. That dunk was off a slip screen where the defender got lost, best i remember.
Regardless, he dunked it when nobody else would have. Other posts go up soft guarded or not.

Regardless, he dunked it when nobody else would have. Other posts go up soft guarded or not.
Maybe, maybe not.
Regardless, Awaka needs to be stronger with the ball when he's guarded in the post.

I’m no basketball coach, but every time one of my post players isn’t giving the kind of effort I expect, I sitting him for Awaka. Hey Olivia - see how Tobe is scrapping? You better start giving that level of effort or he’s getting all your minutes!

VN Store

Back