Syrian Kurds are close to declaring Independence

Burhead

God-Emperor of Politics
Reactions: tvolsfan
It is going to cause massive tension in the Mid-East if I'm understanding this move correctly. Turkey, Syria (Assad), Iraq, and Iran are all against the Kurdish movement.

You could have tossed darts at a map randomly and picked out countries I care more about.

Not a fan of Turkey, at all. Especially in regards to the treatment of the Kurds.

Iraq could be going places, but not anytime soon. And in honesty, should have been broken up after OIF. One of the few things I agreed with Biden on.

Syria is just waiting to be balkanized. In truth, many of the nations in that part of the world are and final dismantling the Sykes-Picot Agreement.

Iran, eff 'em. They are already just as bad on their Kurdish population as Turkey and Hussein Iraq was/were.

Kurds to announce 'democratic federal' system across controlled Syrian territories, Turkey rejects - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

How long before the Kurds in Turkey, Iraq, and Iran want to join the movement? Also if this goes down tomorrow how long before Turkey goes in? This will only fuel the Kurdish nationalist movements in Turkish lands (PKK).

That Turkish regime deserves to get bottled up in a "quagmire" with the Kurds... just like the Saudis are getting their heads handed to them in Yemen by goat herders...

It is going to cause massive tension in the Mid-East if I'm understanding this move correctly. Turkey, Syria (Assad), Iraq, and Iran are all against the Kurdish movement.

Kurds are basically Jews in the eyes of most of the ME..... Not sure why, but they are.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I would like the Kurds to get their own country. But I wonder how them getting their own country in Syria would effect Kurds elsewhere, and how it would complicate the existing conflict.

1. If they get their own country I could see adjoining Kurdish regions pushing for autonomy from Turkey and Iraq to join into a single country. I would bet this happens.
2. How much is Syria and Turkey and to a lesser extent Iraq going to fight this? how much are they going to fight it? how much can they? Turkey could, but does Syria want Turkey involved in a ground war within their borders? I see Turkey fighting it whether or not the Syrians allowing it.
3. How quickly does the international community accept them, and what local countries would?
4. Does this reshape the war? Would it actually remove the Kurds from the fight? Would they still be a target of ISIS? If they keep fighting ISIS I could see them claiming more land as they reclaim ISIS in Iraq and Syria.

The Kurds have been the one consistent and stabilizing force in the fight against ISIS. From the start most if not all tribes have been quite clear in that their only interest is the region known as Kurdistan

EDIT:
One people across four countries

Last edited:

VN Store

Back