Swain-Griffith beef is a battle for the soul of Tennessee football

Nah, we're not where we are today because we've been getting smacked by Bama every season for 10 years.

Hire better coaches. Get better recruits and develop them into better players. To me, that would be better for the program.

the bums Jones brought in this season were supposed to do that -- going to need more than an elite HC to win

The first time that we beat Bama will be insanely glorious for the program. We're too many ass beatings in to cancel that series now

Nah, we're not where we are today because we've been getting smacked by Bama every season for 10 years.

Hire better coaches. Get better recruits and develop them into better players. To me, that would be better for the program.

Didn't say it was. I said our program would be better off.

Our chances at SEC title games and playoff games would be better.

Again, that isn't debatable.

It's some mixture of pride and Stockholm syndrome that makes UT fans so adamant about keeping that rivalry game.

Swain is about the only local guy with any credibility.

Hyams tells it like it is. Hubbs ain't bashful either, certainly isn't a Jones mouthpiece. The homers with little to no credibility are Griffith, Brian Rice and Ainge. I don't listen to anybody else up there.

It's some mixture of pride and Stockholm syndrome that makes UT fans so adamant about keeping that rivalry game.
While we're at it, we should probably try and move conferences as well.

The first time that we beat Bama will be insanely glorious for the program. We're too many ass beatings in to cancel that series now

I turned 50 this year....not sure I'll live to see us ever beat Alabama again.

While we're at it, we should probably try and move conferences as well.

Okay... That would be bad for our program for multiple reasons, so that doesn't follow my logic.

The slippery slope and strawman arguments are just proof that you all have Stockholm syndrome over that game.

The ongoing feud between VFL Jayson Swain and SEC Country's Mike Griffith is some funny-ass ****. Swain is bludgeoning him on Twitter as I type.

I've noticed this about those two as the season moves on... You get two completely different pictures of the state of Tennessee football from listening to the daily SEC Country Rocky Talk podcast and the morning Swain Event.

The circles from which they get their information on the state of the program do not overlap much.

Griffith is a joke, I hope once Butch is gone he slithers off to whatever hole he came from.

Okay... That would be bad for our program for multiple reasons, so that doesn't follow my logic.

The slippery slope and strawman arguments are just proof that you all have Stockholm syndrome over that game.

Your logic is without direction, so I'm perfectly fine not following it.

EDIT: lol how the hell do you embed tweets on here

like this

PHP:
[twitter] [/twitter]

[twitter]https://twitter.com/SwainEvent/status/914609980128600065[/twitter]

Last edited:
Your logic is without direction, so I'm perfectly fine not following it.

Wtf does that even mean?

It's not complicated. SoS has an ideal range. High enough to where you get in the playoff with one loss, but not too high where winning 11 games is nearly impossible. If rivalry games are removed, we would be in the perfect range nearly every year, extrapolating expectations for other SEC teams.

And before you go there, it has nothing to do with the current state of the team. It isn't about "tired of losing to Bama", because the reality is, right now it doesn't even really matter.

7 wins instead of 8, really makes no difference in the grand scheme of things.

If Bama and UT are the top two schools in the country, which is what I want, then neither of them is going to want to cannibalize each other playing twice in a year.

Not a damn team in the East would take our rivalry game.

Before Nick Saban, what was the series record? It was like 38 to 43 or somewhere along there. Close enough to be negligible as a real rivalry.

Alabama is hot right now. But it's rare a legendary coach is followed up by another legendary coach. They will hire someone once Saban is gone and that poor coachs life will be miserable. He will have the biggest shoes in CFB history to fill. Alabama will come back down to a normal level team then. Saban is the fire driving this dynasty. Not Alabama itself. Saban could go to Duke and build a program just the same.

Stop crying. This is temporary. If we hire Chip Kelly, and Saban leaves...we could own the SEC the same way Alabama has owned it.

Wtf does that even mean?

It's not complicated. SoS has an ideal range. High enough to where you get in the playoff with one loss, but not too high where winning 11 games is nearly impossible. If rivalry games are removed, we would be in the perfect range nearly every year, extrapolating expectations for other SEC teams.

And before you go there, it has nothing to do with the current state of the team. It isn't about "tired of losing to Bama", because the reality is, right now it doesn't even really matter.

7 wins instead of 8, really makes no difference in the grand scheme of things.

If Bama and UT are the top two schools in the country, which is what I want, then neither of them is going to want to cannibalize each other playing twice in a year.

Not a damn team in the East would take our rivalry game.

This fella must be young and didn't get to experience Fulmer's reign of terror over Bama in the 90s and early 2000s. Bam will come back to Earth soon enough as all programs do eventually.

Beating that ass will be a sweet, sweet day.

Before Nick Saban, what was the series record? It was like 38 to 43 or somewhere along there. Close enough to be negligible as a real rivalry.

Alabama is hot right now. But it's rare a legendary coach is followed up by another legendary coach. They will hire someone once Saban is gone and that poor coachs life will be miserable. He will have the biggest shoes in CFB history to fill. Alabama will come back down to a normal level team then. Saban is the fire driving this dynasty. Not Alabama itself. Saban could go to Duke and build a program just the same.

Stop crying. This is temporary. If we hire Chip Kelly, and Saban leaves...we could own the SEC the same way Alabama has owned it.

Again, it isn't about the current state of things at all. Read what I actually typed.

I would rather play Tamu or Miss St every now and then instead of the most successful program in the history of college football.

I care about success more than the participation trophy of saying we play Bama every year.

If we were good, and knocking each other out of the playoff every year, you would hear Bama clamoring to remove the rivalry too. It's just a logical thing to push for.

Again, it isn't about the current state of things at all. Read what I actually typed.

I would rather play Tamu or Miss St every now and then instead of the most successful program in the history of college football.

I care about success more than the participation trophy of saying we play Bama every year.

If we were good, and knocking each other out of the playoff every year, you would hear Bama clamoring to remove the rivalry too. It's just a logical thing to push for.
A loss to Bama isn't kicking us out of playoff contention..... Never has, never will.

Jones is about to learn a very hard lesson that you don't pick fights with the media that covers you.

Do people forget the Alabama beat Tennessee every season from 1971 to 1981? The longest streak of the rivalry. Then again from 1986-1994 Alabama won them all. But Tennessee won every game but 2 from 1995-2006.

This is a very streaky Rivalry. It is usually whoever is dominant wins a bunch of games in a row over the other. Then one team's fortunes turn and it flips vice versa.

Saban is getting old. He can't coach forever. If they don't win another national title this year and if Clemson makes it to the championship game 3 times in a row and beats Alabama for the 2nd time in a row....it's hard to think Saban will just pick up all the pieces once again and start all over on the trail. That might be the last stone Goliath can take.

Griffith does not have a clue. I don't agree with Swain on everything always, but he is pretty much right on here. GBO!!!!!

I can't stand Finebaum, but he ate Mike's lunch a couple weeks ago on the show. He went on a bashing session for Mike making excuses about losses and poor play.

If you don't like Finebaum or Travis you don't like reality! Two UT alums keeping it real. No participation trophies.

You're ignoring the values of football. It's about competition; it's about unity. Let's all hope this anti-football mentality isn't being spewed to our players.

Your conclusion can be applied to the SEC as a whole like someone else pointed out. Why would we want to make it harder on the program by playing in one of the most competitive, best conferences in the nation? Let's go to the Big 12 where your own real competition lately lies within the state of Oklahoma. Pshh.... let's take it a step farther and join the AAC and schedule a few P5 conferences games to have possibly a good enough resume to crash the playoffs. That's not a slippery slope FYI; that's a reduction ad absurdum.

VN Store

Back