Super Bowl LIV Thread, 6:30 PM ET (2/2/20), FOX

I still feel like the 49ers offense is getting shortchanged here. Jimmy had a bad fourth quarter, but this offense scored the second most points in the regular season of any team. It’s not the same offense the jaguars or bears had, and Jimmy, while not Mahomes, isn’t Bortles or Trubusky either. And neither of those teams got a 1 seed or made a super bowl

Yeah, without an elite QB (aka a big step forward from Jimmy G) I very strongly don’t think that’s happening again either, which means you’ll be worse on both sides of the ball. Plenty of decent QBs have led good offenses for one year and one year only, especially with good line play like SF had

Last edited:
Yeah, without an elite QB (aka a big step forward from Jimmy G) I very strongly don’t think that’s happening again either.
Well, with a QB capable of leading the NFL’s second most productive offense. Your examples of the Bears and Jaguars didn’t have an elite offense or a QB capable of leading one. The Jimmy doubt is at an all time high right now but the guy actually had a really good season, and that was with a LOT of injuries on offense (only our two guards and our QB started every game on offense). With one of the three best playcallers in the NFL, I feel fine about our offense

Well, with a QB capable of leading the NFL’s second most productive offense. Your examples of the Bears and Jaguars didn’t have an elite offense or a QB capable of leading one. The Jimmy doubt is at an all time high right now but the guy actually had a really good season, and that was with a LOT of injuries on offense (only our two guards and our QB started every game on offense). With one of the three best playcallers in the NFL, I feel fine about our offense

The Jaguars had the #5 offense in 2017 and the Bears were #9 in 2018. It’s easy to look good when your line and defense are playing well

Reactions: MAD
💀 🤣
84693167_3095201707193163_3847473536738263040_n.jpg

The Jaguars had the #5 offense in 2017 and the Bears were #9 in 2018. It’s easy to look good when your line and defense are playing well
Our line missed both tackles for long stretches and our starting center for the last 6 games of the year, including the playoffs. So the line play should only improve. And the offense sure looked good in New Orleans when the defense gave up 46. I find it hard to believe you’ve watch more than 3 49er games this year if you think Garoppolo is of similar standing to Trubisky or Bortles.

Our line missed both tackles for long stretches and our starting center for the last 6 games of the year, including the playoffs. So the line play should only improve. And the offense sure looked good in New Orleans when the defense gave up 46. I find it hard to believe you’ve watch more than 3 49er games this year if you think Garoppolo is of similar standing to Trubisky or Bortles.

I said he had tools; I don’t think he’s remotely in their category. I just don’t think their defense will be #2 in the league again and I don’t think he’s the type of QB (at this point) that guides a top 5 offense year after year, as the guys that do that consistently are typically the Brees/Mahomes types.

I’m actually pretty high on Jimmy and expect him to improve, but he’ll have to if he’s getting a ring.

Many Super Bowl winners have not had an elite QB. It takes a lot more than the QB to win the SB. McMahon, Hostetler, Dilfer, Johnson, Flacco, Foles were good but not sure if I’d call them elite. Brady wasn’t elite for his first three SBs. He was basically a glorified game manager. Peyton was no longer elite for had last SB.

I said he had tools; I don’t think he’s remotely in their category. I just don’t think their defense will be #2 in the league again and I don’t think he’s the type of QB (at this point) that guides a top 5 offense year after year, as the guys that do that consistently are typically the Brees/Mahomes types.

I’m actually pretty high on Jimmy and expect him to improve, but he’ll have to if he’s getting a ring.

Jimmy is a solid QB but he is what he is. He is a game manager who makes a lot of low risk passes. He got his big payday based on his New England experience.but all QBs look good in that system.

Many Super Bowl winners have not had an elite QB. It takes a lot more than the QB to win the SB. McMahon, Hostetler, Dilfer, Johnson, Flacco, Foles were good but not sure if I’d call them elite. Brady wasn’t elite for his first three SBs. He was basically a glorified game manager. Peyton was no longer elite for had last SB.
You’re right, so an even better chance the 49ers can replicate this year’s success

Jimmy is a solid QB but he is what he is. He is a game manager who makes a lot of low risk passes. He got his big payday based on his New England experience.but all QBs look good in that system.
Nope. He got his pay day because after we traded for him in 2017 he took over a 1-10 team and went 5-0 to end the year. I admit the small sample size but that is the primary reason for the big contract

He's only got two years worth of starting experience. I expect he'll get better with more reps. Sanders isn't the answer at WR. He's got one more year, if that. This draft is heavy with WR talent and they can probably snag somebody pretty good. All that being said, I like Shanahan, but I don't want to see them in the SB again.

VN Store

Back