Suggestions on a smoker

We bought a bluetooth electric smoker on sale several years ago just to try it out because it was fairly cheap. Thing works awesome and is incredibly simple to deal with, if you're uneasy about keeping temps and smoke, etc, consistent I highly recommend trying an electric one.

???

What's the bluetooth for?

I'd start with a Weber. Inexpensive and see how you like it. Maybe Masterbuilt?
I have a large and a mini Big Green Egg. Love it, and I remove ashes quickly with their ash tool.
One of my Eggs is nearing 20 years old.
But, there are other similar products available.

You might ask at the grill thread here. Several knowledgeable people there.

Reactions: Sin City Vol
???

What's the bluetooth for?

You can check/adjust the temp of the smoker and check the inside of the meat temp. Its basically just an app but connects through Bluetooth. Allows you to set timers, turn it on and off, etc. Comes dangerously close to cheating but when its cold out its worth it.haha

My parents got me a cheaper pit boss for Christmas. It’s a great entry level smoker and holds a temp real well, but racks of spare ribs and larger briskets are a tight squeeze.

My parents got me a cheaper pit boss for Christmas. It’s a great entry level smoker and holds a temp real well, but racks of spare ribs and larger briskets are a tight squeeze.
I usually split my brisket up 3 ways after buying and trimming. 3-4 lbs of brisket gets devoured pretty fast by my carnivore girls, but there’s still some leftovers...for a nanosecond.

Reactions: Tri-CitiesVol
I'm probably going Traeger
Timely post.

Don't do it. The product is unreliable and the customer service incompetent.

I bought a Timberline 1300 two years ago that was DOA. After going round and round with them about wanting ME to repair my brand new 1300, they finally sent a replacement. Fast forward a year later and the controller went out. Again, they wanted ME to be the repairman and sent me a controller that was also DOA. So they sent another and my old ass was crawling around under the unit trying to install it. Got it done, but that's not why I paid 2k, to be a repairman.

Now the 1300 is tripping the gfci. Again, I had to crawl under it and disconnect the wires one by one until I found the problem, the hot rod. So I call and they say "no problem" and send me one. FOR THE WRONG SMOKER. So here I sit with 50lbs of food ready to go on for our office xmas party tomorrow, and no option other than to wait for another one. They offered me a bag of pellets for my trouble. I told them to keep the damn pellets and send me the part. I'm fixing it, then selling it. I will never trust this company again.

Clearly, I’m very frustrated.

Last edited:
You can check/adjust the temp of the smoker and check the inside of the meat temp. Its basically just an app but connects through Bluetooth. Allows you to set timers, turn it on and off, etc. Comes dangerously close to cheating but when its cold out its worth it.haha

My Masterbuilt has bluetooth/app etc. and I've never used it. I'm old-school in that regard. Plus, it gives me a reason to make another drink and check on it.

My Masterbuilt has bluetooth/app etc. and I've never used it. I'm old-school in that regard. Plus, it gives me a reason to make another drink and check on it.
My son has been happy with his. I see they have a new model out now that comes with a griddle as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boca Vol
Timely post.

Don't do it. The product is unreliable and the customer service incompetent.

I bought a Timberline 1300 two years ago that was DOA. After going round and round with them about wanting ME to repair my brand new 1300, they finally sent a replacement. Fast forward a year later and the controller went out. Again, they wanted ME to be the repairman and sent me a controller that was also DOA. So they sent another and my old ass was crawling around under the unit trying to install it. Got it done, but that's not why I paid 2k, to be a repairman.

Now the 1300 is tripping the gfci. Again, I had to crawl under it and disconnect the wires one by one until I found the problem, the hot rod. So I call and they say "no problem" and send me one. FOR THE WRONG SMOKER. So here I sit with 50lbs of food ready to go on for our office xmas party tomorrow, and no option other than to wait for another one. They offered me a bag of pellets for my trouble. I told them to keep the damn pellets and send me the part. I'm fixing it, then selling it. I will never trust this company again.

Clearly, I’m very frustrated.
Well s***.

I would be too

I think that I read a while back that the guys who started Traeger are now working with Pit Boss.

Electric <<< Traeger <<<<<<< gas <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< charcoal or straight wood imo.

But I also believe all bbq is tasty

We bought a bluetooth electric smoker on sale several years ago just to try it out because it was fairly cheap. Thing works awesome and is incredibly simple to deal with, if you're uneasy about keeping temps and smoke, etc, consistent I highly recommend trying an electric one.
I started with electric as well. Super easy (except for the cleanup, lol) and a good way to know if you want to dive in deeper.

Reactions: eskimovol

I have the fire pit only version of this - same tower, just none of the cooking stuff.

It's a fantastic fire pit and with the casters you can move it where you like and it puts the fire at eye level when sitting (rather than staring down into a pit). I wheel it under my patio cover when not in use to keep it dry.

So I mentioned I had an issue with my rec-teq. Called customer service - they were awesome - walked me through multiple trouble shooting. Ended up it was bad pellets that had crumbled to dust that were clogging my auger. Cleaning it out now and on to better pellets. (these were Traeger pellets that were about a year or so old).

Great customer service.

Reactions: Boca Vol
So I mentioned I had an issue with my rec-teq. Called customer service - they were awesome - walked me through multiple trouble shooting. Ended up it was bad pellets that had crumbled to dust that were clogging my auger. Cleaning it out now and on to better pellets. (these were Traeger pellets that were about a year or so old).

Great customer service.
I just sold my Traeger and my RT-2500 BFG is in transit. Can’t wait for it to get here!

The guy who bought my Traeger added it to his collection of a half dozen or so. Was so happy that he left me with a bottle of Buffalo Trace Single Barrel Select.

I just sold my Traeger and my RT-2500 BFG is in transit. Can’t wait for it to get here!

The guy who bought my Traeger added it to his collection of a half dozen or so. Was so happy that he left me with a bottle of Buffalo Trace Single Barrel Select.
After your story and a few others, I'm leaning Camp Chef, though recteq is also in consideration

After your story and a few others, I'm leaning Camp Chef, though recteq is also in consideration

I enjoyed mine while it was working. When I first had issues, I felt like customer service was knowledgeable and responsive. Not so much the last couple times. Lots of people love them and have no problems though.

I called rec-teq with a question and had a call back is a short while. Ordered on Saturday and it was shipped out yesterday. Looking forward to getting started with it.

VN Store

Back