Suggestions for freak

TEMU. What is this Frank? These ads are yuge.

Seriously, bottom of the page. Ad is so big causes page to be herky jerky when loading, cause you to hit their ad.
if you can post a pic, that would be helpful.

@Freak No idea if good idea, could be horrible. Stickied Thread/Forum for Prayers for Members and families and community fixtures. Non denominational, all religions and faiths welcome. It comes up in conversation that members are going through difficult times. If nothing else, support during those times is what community is for, and Volnation is a community, and a vibrant one at that. Have a thread where people could post prayer requests and gofundmes for their cared for and for those prayer-inclined would be special.

Reactions: Freak
@Freak I'm getting this error message when trying to load a GIF. It's a GIF I've used a dozen times, not sure why it's too large now.
Screenshot_20230721_132008_Chrome.jpg

@Freak I'm getting this error message when trying to load a GIF. It's a GIF I've used a dozen times, not sure why it's too large now.
View attachment 564541
We have so many threads where people are uploading multiple large gifs that some were complaining about slow loading times. So I dialed back the file size limit a little. For now.

Reactions: tnhunter 10
We have so many threads where people are uploading multiple large gifs that some were complaining about slow loading times. So I dialed back the file size limit a little. For now.
Does your software offer any option where a poster can reduce the file size? I suppose this is something that I could do on the gif source page, but I’ve no clue how to do it.

—something like what Outlook offers when you email images.

Does your software offer any option where a poster can reduce the file size? I suppose this is something that I could do on the gif source page, but I’ve no clue how to do it.

—something like what Outlook offers when you email images.
It will and does do that now, but I'm not sure it works for animated gifs. Is the one you're trying to upload animated?

Reactions: VolNExile
It will and does do that now, but I'm not sure it works for animated gifs. Is the one you're trying to upload animated?
I’ve only gotten the message a few times, so I’m not certain, but yeah, I think they were gifs.

It’s funny that software designers haven’t added that feature, because I know it’s an issue on plenty of forums.

I’ve only gotten the message a few times, so I’m not certain, but yeah, I think they were gifs.

It’s funny that software designers haven’t added that feature, because I know it’s an issue on plenty of forums.
Need to watch the file size. Generally have no problem loading gifs at this site.

Need to watch the file size. Generally have no problem loading gifs at this site.
So it’s a question of how much data, vs the size (dimensions) of it on the screen?

It’s interesting that there’s an option to compress image size with resulting smaller file size for still pics, but not for gifs. I wonder why they’re not compressible.

It is very, very rare that file size is shown on a page of gifs. I realize it’s different with self-generated images.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
It has only happened to me with some gifs of the Bama game, which were prolly made here, and never the prefab gifs on gif sites, etc. They stopped loading at the time (I think) you lowered the limit. I don't know how to compress them or to edit them for length at the edges. One of them someone has edited and I copied their edit. One of those I haven't yet been able to replace is one of the greatest gifs of all time: the Hyatt touchdown with the hammer on his knees and hanging his head in the foreground. The other, extremely satisfying, is Sabey pitching a fit on the sideline in that same game. In the latter case, I suppose it is related to just how long Sabey's fit lasted. 😂 The problem (size) of Hyatt TD gif may be related to its being in slow motion. But that is a fabulous effect.

Last edited:
Have you ever considered an optional feature (maybe it could be selected and unselected like dark mode) (maybe with an override on each page like the show ignored content feature) that would amplify the ignore feature such that it would also ignore all responses to the ignored? I don't know how difficult that would be or how taxing to the system. Not absolutely positive I would like it all the time (I don't know until I try it), but I have seen some situations that cry out for it. I would definitely to have the option. Ignore on steroids. 😂

@Freak For the recruiting forums, where we utilize the "Prefix" option...do you think it would be OK to have the ability to add a 2nd Prefix for "committed" vs "uncommitted"? I often find myself wanting to only see '24 player threads for uncommitted players. I can simply scroll to get to the info, but being able to filter out might be useful.

Is it possible to add a 2nd prefix, or can you only have 1?

Or, can there just be 2 entries for the next recruiting cycle
'24 Committed
'24 Uncommitted

Thanks!

Edit: Copying @EdEcEko77 to see if they have an opinion, since most of the threads are theirs.

Hey @Freak with the new update, which is great, thank you, we are having an issue where @s do not show up in the notifications. Everything else we've tried so far is golden.

I got that one.

When @Weezer and I tested it earlier by @ing each other, neither of us received notification.
Sometimes the algorithm is a little weird and won't show two alerts, for example, if a poster already quoted you or you have another conflicting notification.

Reactions: Orange.
Something new, I'm pretty sure, with the update:

I occasionally put an entire thread on ignore, because life is too short, but ignoring (for a while) the OP. Previously, when I clicked on a forum name, the thread didn't show on the overall forum view, the one that shows the most recent post in each of the subforums. Now it does. But when I click on the subforum itself, it doesn't show. Only on the overall display.

Not the end of the world, just fyi, and mildly annoying.

Reactions: vollygirl
Re: ^^^

Dots on mobile:
1693259391168.png

But no dots on laptop. Same time frame, no posts were clicked, laptop was seen first (so if dots were going to be there, they would be there):
1693259485903.png

Reactions: vollygirl
Also, holy cow, screen shots are gi-normous. I would reduce them if I knew how.

First screen cap was posted from my iPhone. Then I pulled up the post on the laptop, clicked edit, and added the laptop screen cap.

Sorry for the massive real estate capture!

Ooo, weird (I'm on a roll here): the dots don't show on laptop unless you mouse over the individual alerts. And then they show up! None of the four greyed posts have been read, and none had dots until I moused over each (first and second screen caps). Third screen cap is of a post I had already read (clear circle, not black dot):
1693260430449.png 1693260498308.png1693260537141.png

OK, I shrank them so they fit side-by-side on my posting screen, but not when posted. Sorry about that.

I see what you're saying. On my computer, like yours, the dots only show when I hover.
Im mostly on mobile and since the update (actually just started today), I can be replying to someone or typing a post and while I’m typing, an add will knock down my keyboard at I will tap (before I even realize it happened) on the add, and it will take me to a different site of course.

Is there something I can do to stop this madness? Thanks!

VN Store

Back