Sugar Vols

I was at the 1971 Sugar Bowl. Unfortunately, I spent too much time on Bourbon Street partaking of Hurricanes which caused the game to be a blur. But the falcon flying into the stadium was pretty cool. Vols wrapped the game up early and took the foot off the pedal for three quarters.

I have great memories of that Sugar Bowl and the entire season. Only game I missed was at Florida.

Met Bobby Scott at Pat O'Brien's and he bought me a hurricane. Super nice guy as were his wife and friends.

wow, very nice...didn't meet Bobby, but Pat O'Brien's sure brings back a lot of memories...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT THE HOOSIERS!

Reactions: feathersax
To this day, I consider the ’86 Sugar Bowl to be the most complete and inspired 60-minute performance by a Tennessee football team that I have witnessed in 52 years of following Big Orange pigskinery.

This webpage will give you a really good overview (1971 Game Recap - Official Site of the Allstate Sugar Bowl) of the 1971 Sugar Bowl. The first twelve minutes of that game were, with the possible exception of the third quarter of the 1990 Florida game, the most perfect performance that I can recall from a Tennessee football team. We jumped on Air Force 24-0 straight out of the gate. As the page cited above states, “In four possessions, Tennessee scored four times and led 24-0 with 3:12 to go in the first quarter.”

Then a dog ran onto the field and it took “more than ten minutes” before it could be trapped and cleared from the field. The proverbial magic, from a Tennessee perspective, had escaped into thin air, and the game became fairly pedestrian and very sloppy from that point on, particularly from a turnover standpoint. We coughed the ball up five times, but Air Force fumbled seven times, losing four, and threw four interceptions.

As the stat sheet indicates, Bobby Majors had a 57-yard punt return for a touchdown, and one of Air Force’s two touchdowns occurred as a result of recovering a Tennessee fumble in our end zone. Air Force had a prolific passing attack that year, but we held them to -12 yards rushing.

I was a student at UT and attended the 71 game. New Years eve on Bourbon St for a 19 year old from a small Tn town was an eye opener. Before the female impersonators became popular so it was a lot different than 86

Last edited:
To this day, I consider the ’86 Sugar Bowl to be the most complete and inspired 60-minute performance by a Tennessee football team that I have witnessed in 52 years of following Big Orange pigskinery.

This webpage will give you a really good overview (1971 Game Recap - Official Site of the Allstate Sugar Bowl) of the 1971 Sugar Bowl. The first twelve minutes of that game were, with the possible exception of the third quarter of the 1990 Florida game, the most perfect performance that I can recall from a Tennessee football team. We jumped on Air Force 24-0 straight out of the gate. As the page cited above states, “In four possessions, Tennessee scored four times and led 24-0 with 3:12 to go in the first quarter.”

Then a dog ran onto the field and it took “more than ten minutes” before it could be trapped and cleared from the field. The proverbial magic, from a Tennessee perspective, had escaped into thin air, and the game became fairly pedestrian and very sloppy from that point on, particularly from a turnover standpoint. We coughed the ball up five times, but Air Force fumbled seven times, losing four, and threw four interceptions.

As the stat sheet indicates, Bobby Majors had a 57-yard punt return for a touchdown, and one of Air Force’s two touchdowns occurred as a result of recovering a Tennessee fumble in our end zone. Air Force had a prolific passing attack that year, but we held them to -12 yards rushing.

1971 - I was there. Air Force had a falcon they released to fly around the stadium pre-game. It flew around the stadium once, and the second time around, it flew right out of the stadium never to be seen again....My father and I looked at each other...and just Smiled..

The AF also had an All-American receiver named Alfred Jennings. Early in the game, they threw a pass in the flat to him and our left corner hit him so hard, Jennings was carried out and never returned. I still can’t remember the cornerback’s name, but I think he was all-SEC.

Last edited:
Second only to Fla St in 98. This game was amazing. Daryl Dickey shined like never before. I went to game with Dad and brothers. Great memory.

Thanks to the prompt service of our South Carolina contact (see the link provided in post no. 17), we have taken a step almost 49 year back in time and are currently watching the 1970 edition of the Big Orange dismantle a potent Air Force offense, 24-7 at halftime. The video predictably is very grainy and, during the first half, the audio is not perfectly synchronized, thanks in part to the nearly eleven-minute delay caused by a fleet-footed dog on the field late in the first quarter.

Bobby Scott started off red-hot, with 162 yards passing in a little over one quarter. The extraordinary defense, led by Bobby Majors, Jackie Walker, Tim Priest, Conrad Graham and others, set a single-season NCAA record this season with 36 interceptions and 21 fumble recoveries, and added four more turnovers in each category in this Sugar Bowl game. This was swarming, gang-tackling, old-school Tennessee defensive football at its finest. During the regular season, Air Force's quarterback had been sacked only five times; Tennessee recorded at least four sacks in the '71 Sugar Bowl, in addition to the aforementioned eight takeaways.

And, for good measure, Bobby Majors added a 56-yard punt return for a touchdown.

Last edited:
Powell's run, for me (and Keith jackson's call), is one of my top 5 UT plays of all time...right there w/ Peerless catch in championship game, Peyton's TD pass to Joey Kent on first play of Bama game, Dale Jones interception vs Bama, Jay Graham 80 yd run vs Bama, Dobb-nail boot hail mary.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
1986 Sugar Bowl.... wasn't that the one where the name "Tennessee" wasn't mentioned until about the third quarter? I was so angry I couldn't catch a breath until near the end of the game.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
1986 Sugar Bowl.... wasn't that the one where the name "Tennessee" wasn't mentioned until about the third quarter? I was so angry I couldn't catch a breath until near the end of the game.
We totally trashed the announcers' script.

Hello, I hope everyone had a great Christmas/Hanukkah. I was wondering if anyone has any video and or memories of the 1971 and 1986 Sugar Bowls. I can only find a couple of really short clips of the 1986 game.
nice avatar

Great game for sure. The most perfect quarter recently would have to be the 2000 Arkansas game. UT was up 35-0 with like 5 min left in the 1st quarter. We could’ve scored 100 if we had wanted too lol

Hello, I hope everyone had a great Christmas/Hanukkah. I was wondering if anyone has any video and or memories of the 1971 and 1986 Sugar Bowls. I can only find a couple of really short clips of the 1986 game.
I didn't read all the replies, so my apologies if mine is a repeat. You can buy the DVD online too. I seen it for sale from a few sites when I was looking up gifts for my dad.

VN Store

Back