Sugar Vols

BakedZeni15

Hello, I hope everyone had a great Christmas/Hanukkah. I was wondering if anyone has any video and or memories of the 1971 and 1986 Sugar Bowls. I can only find a couple of really short clips of the 1986 game.

I have wonderful memories of the 1985 Sugar Bowl. Definitely the highlight of my time in the band. Four days in New Orleans staying at a hotel right at the intersection of Bourbon Street with 350 friends and a good chunk of the athletic department's money in my pocket to spend. Good friends, good times and a extremely great game. I even made the broadcast along with another of my friends. We were both acting insane after Chris White's interception when we both noticed the camera was on us. A great 15 seconds of fame moment. It even made the Sugar Vols DVD.

Here is the complete 1986 game

We attended a gathering of good friends to watch that game. We all tossed money in a pot, winner take all on picking the score. I don't recall my guess, but despite us being underdogs, I picked the Vols in a blowout. It was a great game and a fun day spent with friends made even better by winning their money.

We were there. An interesting moment was seeing a woman with a Miami shirt, and since I always wondered why a school would have a "U" on their helmet instead of the first letter of the school's name, I asked her why their helmets were imprinted that way. She proceeded to cuss me out and told me in no uncertain terms to take a hike. But, why doesn't Tennessee or Alabama or whoever do that? Only Miami......hmmmm. I recorded the game and the spouse and I were on ABC that night right after the Jeff Smith touchdown. Great game!

To this day, I consider the ā€™86 Sugar Bowl to be the most complete and inspired 60-minute performance by a Tennessee football team that I have witnessed in 52 years of following Big Orange pigskinery.

This webpage will give you a really good overview (1971 Game Recap - Official Site of the Allstate Sugar Bowl) of the 1971 Sugar Bowl. The first twelve minutes of that game were, with the possible exception of the third quarter of the 1990 Florida game, the most perfect performance that I can recall from a Tennessee football team. We jumped on Air Force 24-0 straight out of the gate. As the page cited above states, ā€œIn four possessions, Tennessee scored four times and led 24-0 with 3:12 to go in the first quarter.ā€

Then a dog ran onto the field and it took ā€œmore than ten minutesā€ before it could be trapped and cleared from the field. The proverbial magic, from a Tennessee perspective, had escaped into thin air, and the game became fairly pedestrian and very sloppy from that point on, particularly from a turnover standpoint. We coughed the ball up five times, but Air Force fumbled seven times, losing four, and threw four interceptions.

As the stat sheet indicates, Bobby Majors had a 57-yard punt return for a touchdown, and one of Air Forceā€™s two touchdowns occurred as a result of recovering a Tennessee fumble in our end zone. Air Force had a prolific passing attack that year, but we held them to -12 yards rushing.

1990 I believe. Beat a very talented UVA team that had Derek Dooley as a WR.

Would have been 2016 very likely if Butch had not completely crapped the bed against Vandy....then was too chicken sh*t to even stay for the whole press conference.
2015 and 2016 are such big what if's

Reactions: Bigun
To this day, I consider the ā€™86 Sugar Bowl to be the most complete and inspired 60-minute performance by a Tennessee football team that I have witnessed in 52 years of following Big Orange pigskinery.

This webpage will give you a really good overview (1971 Game Recap - Official Site of the Allstate Sugar Bowl) of the 1971 Sugar Bowl. The first twelve minutes of that game were, with the possible exception of the third quarter of the 1990 Florida game, the most perfect performance that I can recall from a Tennessee football team. We jumped on Air Force 24-0 straight out of the gate. As the page cited above states, ā€œIn four possessions, Tennessee scored four times and led 24-0 with 3:12 to go in the first quarter.ā€

Then a dog ran onto the field and it took ā€œmore than ten minutesā€ before it could be trapped and cleared from the field. The proverbial magic, from a Tennessee perspective, had escaped into thin air, and the game became fairly pedestrian and very sloppy from that point on, particularly from a turnover standpoint. We coughed the ball up five times, but Air Force fumbled seven times, losing four, and threw four interceptions.

As the stat sheet indicates, Bobby Majors had a 57-yard punt return for a touchdown, and one of Air Forceā€™s two touchdowns occurred as a result of recovering a Tennessee fumble in our end zone. Air Force had a prolific passing attack that year, but we held them to -12 yards rushing.
Thanks for those memories!

Hello, I hope everyone had a great Christmas/Hanukkah. I was wondering if anyone has any video and or memories of the 1971 and 1986 Sugar Bowls. I can only find a couple of really short clips of the 1986 game.
I lost all my memorabilia years ago in a house fire but I was at the 1971 Sugar Bowl. I played in the Grundy County High School band and we won a band competition to get to go and perform in the Sugar Bowl parade. It was a time I never will forget. Imagine a 17 year old on Bourbon Street. Then the Vols put a curb stomping on Air Force.

Whoops sorry..yeah It's weird a big bowl game wouldn't have been recorded and uploaded...there are some DVDs out there at decent prices
1971 Sugar Bowl Football DVD Tennessee vs Air Force SCOTT HUNT MAJORS Free Ship | eBay

Thanks ever so much for this link. I know nothing about this retailer, but my brother has used eBay extensively, so he examined this guyā€™s online listings. He has an absolutely sterling reputation on eBay, one based on more than 6,000 reviews. He has a massive archive of DVDs available to order pertaining to college football and, most importantly, Big Orange pigskinery.

Some of the early stuff consists of highlights, as opposed to full-game broadcasts, and some lack audio. Among the early games (or highlight thereof) available to order are the 1939 Orange Bowl and 1951 Cotton Bowl vs. Oklahoma and Texas, respectively.

We spent 4 nights and 5 days in New Orleans for the 86 Sugar Bowl and it seemed like a month. I think I got a total of about 18 hours sleep the whole trip. It took me a full week to get over that trip when we got home.

At the half I went to the restroom and it was packed with UT fans and 1 (one) Miami fan. A UT fan asked the one Miami fan in there......Did all you Miami fans come up here together in a Volkswagen bus?!....It broke the whole restroom up with laughter.

We went back to the Sugar Bowl against Virginia....I'd learned my lesson from my 86 experience and I dialed it back and got more sleep and it paid off.

VN Store

Back