Stupid file sharing question

bigdaddy

The Bull3tspung
Staff member
OK I just got into the world of home computing and now need some advice. What freeware and/or filesharing/stealing movies/clips/music software should I get. I had limewire when I started and just have no faith in it. Or, should I stay away from filesharing as a rule. It tried bittorrent but just too confusing for me at the time.

bittorent is not that confusing. I would suggest that.

Remus?

I started to use it when I first got my computer but I just never got anywhere with it like limewire. Point and click or name the song and bam you got it. I need to try bittorrent again I guess

Remus can give you the easiest suggestion, I am sure.

1) Download client (I like uTorrent, but have used Azureus in the past)
2) Find a BT website (the best is probably mininova.org)
3) When you find a torrent you want to get the files out of, click the link to "Download this torrent" and tell it to open in your client.
4) Your client will start up and start to download the files inside the torrent.
5) Once you get to 100% and start seeding you can remove the torrent and you can now use the files you downloaded.

If you are looking for music via BT, your best bet is to find the CD that the song you want is on. Once you get a better understanding of how it works you'll find that you can tell your client to "skip" a file... aka not download it, and only download the files in the torrent you want.

My torrent junk wemus suggested downloads slow as crap.

Wemus, is that common......discuss.

My torrent junk wemus suggested downloads slow as crap.

Wemus, is that common......discuss.

If the proper ports are not open for DHT tracking, or the torrent is poorly seeded, yes, that is common.

Do you open the port it suggests on your router remus?

Yes. You can choose whatever port you wish, then in your router settings (they're all different) open that port for both TCP/UDP for your machine.

That's where it gets ugly for most people. Most people use DHCP, and while some automatically choose to assign each computer the same IP, others just give each computer the first one open.

If the proper ports are not open for DHT tracking, or the torrent is poorly seeded, yes, that is common.

Yes. You can choose whatever port you wish, then in your router settings (they're all different) open that port for both TCP/UDP for your machine.

That's where it gets ugly for most people. Most people use DHCP, and while some automatically choose to assign each computer the same IP, others just give each computer the first one open.

Grass is pretty..............

But I don't have a "router". I have a modem with a wire from the wall to the modem, a wire from the modem to the computer.

VN Store

Back