Stunk it up tonight

Look like they were really not ready to play today . Step slow. Lacked fire. Happens but usually on a weekday on the road not on a Sat at home. Hopefully bounce back next week

Look like they were really not ready to play today . Step slow. Lacked fire. Happens but usually on a weekday on the road not on a Sat at home. Hopefully bounce back next week

Really missed the fans tonight. Probably would've still lost, but that place would've been rocking

Reactions: Border Vol
It's bama. That's what UT does when we play them. Lay the proverbial egg.
This, and I don't get it. Regardless how crappy Bama may be and how good TN may be, we struggle. Every time. Since 1980, TN has won 3 in a row vs Bama only twice, and never more than 4 in a row since that time.
Meanwhile, Bama has at least 5 separate times of 3 in a row or more including a 10 game win streak and a 7 streak.
TN is 22-41 against Bama since 1980.
TN has 27 wins vs Kentucky since 1980.

In the post-game, Barnes said Bama did exactly what they expected and prepared for. He said the players simply did not execute what they practiced.

I'm thinking Mizzou did not execute well against us, but maybe we came away from that win thinking we were that superior to the #12 team in athleticism and skill.

We will have more chances to revisit this, to see if Barnes' D has an Achilles heel, or if these good defenders can become great defenders.

Reactions: Border Vol
Barnes’s teams at Texas underperformed against Pearl.
Pearl indeed currently owns Barnes. You don’t have to like it, but it is what it is until Barnes figures out how to defend their style of offense. Bro.

That Durant team was very young, and no one ever does research on it. Just thinks that Kevin Durant should win every game.

Only real recurring concern of mine is our inability to guard the 3. Same reason Auburn boatraced us in the SEC Champ two years ago. Seems like an easy enough blueprint to me. Just drive it or reverse and kick when we over-rotate and jack up the long ball. Curious as to how Barnes’ squads at Texas faired at defending the 3 and what correlation there is with that his struggle to make real noise in March.
Not so good.

Reactions: 08Vol
So our best defender / shot blocker barely played half the game due to foul trouble. One of our top scorers goes down to injury in the first 10 minutes. Our best player who’s been shooting around 90% free throws misses 5 of 8. And, Petty the orange slayer makes every shot he takes. Pretty much a perfect storm, especially when CRB gives up 2 points on a tech. Our team doesn’t suddenly suck. It’s college basketball and we all knew we’d loose a few.
Go Vols!

So our best defender / shot blocker barely played half the game due to foul trouble. One of our top scorers goes down to injury in the first 10 minutes. Our best player who’s been shooting around 90% free throws misses 5 of 8. And, Petty the orange slayer makes every shot he takes. Pretty much a perfect storm, especially when CRB gives up 2 points on a tech. Our team doesn’t suddenly suck. It’s college basketball and we all knew we’d loose a few.
Go Vols!
Nah we're going 7-18 imo

Never dreamed this team would not be ready, or have the desire to play. They played worse than I thought they were capable of playing, and it was the entire team.

Barnes was upset, and he should be. This was worse than embarrassing. They looked like our football team.

I don't think TN can beat AL in any sport now. We used to own them in WBB until Holly became coach then we lost every game to them. I don't know what the jinx is.

forget if there was a thread about this, but I know there was talk about this team being better than the 2010 squad. I don’t think one game means much as even good teams lose games they shouldn’t, but that team could have lost a few games except we had guys like grant who put the team on his shoulders and were determined to win. Not sure we have that. Those guys were more experienced playing together and we have freshmen logging significant minutes. That’s why I’m not too worried about any individual loss. Springer could end up being that guy. We’ll see. Still a long way to go, but do enjoy watching these guys play and what Barnes has in store for them

Calm tf down... We shot it bad and didnt make free throws... Tight officiating against us hurt us also.... You gonna have some game where it doesnt go your way... Its bs it had to be Bama tho... Its alright in the long run they will be watching us late in the tourney

You guys please pray for me. Living in Alabama during these days is maddening.
Its tough, been living in alabama since I was born. We had a good grandaddy and dad that raised us ut fans. The 90s and early 2000s were nice.

Go Vols!
Good post. Hopefully this is used as motivation and a learning opportunity for the young guys. Petty always balls out vs us.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
forget if there was a thread about this, but I know there was talk about this team being better than the 2010 squad. I don’t think one game means much as even good teams lose games they shouldn’t, but that team could have lost a few games except we had guys like grant who put the team on his shoulders and were determined to win. Not sure we have that. Those guys were more experienced playing together and we have freshmen logging significant minutes. That’s why I’m not too worried about any individual loss. Springer could end up being that guy. We’ll see. Still a long way to go, but do enjoy watching these guys play and what Barnes has in store for them
I think this team has one player like that with both the attitude and the skill to take over, and he got hurt in the first half, tonight.

Barnes was absolutely brutal on Fulky during the postgame presser, and deservedly so - he played a terrible game, arguably his worst game in 2 years. Combine that with the fact that Springer, arguably already our best player, only played 5 minutes, and combine THAT with the fact that we were absolutely ice-cold shooting the ball, and yeah, any decent team is gonna beat you. So I'm not ready to push the panic button just yet. If we stink it up again against Arkansas on Wednesday, then I'll start getting concerned.

Reactions: Lefteye

VN Store

Back