Stunk it up tonight

That was one ugly ball game. Could not hit the broad sign of a barn, free throw shooting was abysimal and we have no three point shooters. This is not the last time we struggle when we play teams with shooters.
32% from the field and 19% from 3. Not to mention bad FT shooting won’t win many games in the SEC

Springer is already our best guard. Losing him likely cost us the game. Most of the 2nd half our offense was just throwing up bad 3 pointers and out of control drives to the rim. Springer would’ve been huge in 2nd half.

Only real recurring concern of mine is our inability to guard the 3. Same reason Auburn boatraced us in the SEC Champ two years ago. Seems like an easy enough blueprint to me. Just drive it or reverse and kick when we over-rotate and jack up the long ball. Curious as to how Barnes’ squads at Texas faired at defending the 3 and what correlation there is with that his struggle to make real noise in March.

Last edited:
Only real recurring concern of mine is our inability to guard the 3. Same reason Auburn boatraced us in the SEC Champ two years ago. Seems like an easy enough blueprint to me. Just reverse and kick when we over-rotate and jack it up the long ball. Curious as to how Barnes’ squads at Texas faired at defending the 3 and what correlation there is with that his struggle to make real noise in March.
Don’t get me wrong...I’m glad we have Barnes rather than Pearl...but Pearl owned him when he was at Texas and still does. Looks like the blueprint to beat Barnes’s teams is to spread the floor and dribble drive and kick.

This team is overrated and overhyped. I love the team. They usually play great defense. There aren't any superstars, but they work hard and are coachable. They play above their talent level. Some young talent, but they're young....

The refs were awful. Not gonna blame the refs entirely. Some of the foul calls especially in first half were atrocious.

Only real recurring concern of mine is our inability to guard the 3. Same reason Auburn boatraced us in the SEC Champ two years ago. Seems like an easy enough blueprint to me. Just reverse and kick when we over-rotate and jack it up the long ball. Curious as to how Barnes’ squads at Texas faired at defending the 3 and what correlation there is with that his struggle to make real noise in March.
Just my opinion but always seems our help defense gets us out of position and leads to a lot of wide open 3’s

Reactions: Hbg

Been saying this for a while in other threads but nobody wanted to hear it.

We prioritize interior defense and give up way too many uncontested looks from 3. This becomes more of an issue with a 5 out type of offense like we saw tonight.

I would have liked to have seen an extended 2/3 or 3/2 type of zone mixed in to both stop dribble penetration and keep guys from getting sucked inside to help then giving up the kickout for 3.

I believe for the 1st time tonight the games we lost with Wisconsin. Gonzaga, Notre Dame, etc showed up, we had our 1st game with real adversity and we did not handle it well, lost a little composure in the 4 minutes out of half and it cost us. I hope and expect we will learn and improve from tonight.

Then by all means, let me rephrase: He beat Texas 2 out of 3 times when Texas had Aldridge and Durant. He has beaten Barnes the last 3 times we’ve played Auburn as well.

Does that work better for you??

Sure.....but 2-1 ain't owning bro; which is what you said

Sure.....but 2-1 ain't owning bro; which is what you said
Barnes’s teams at Texas underperformed against Pearl.
Pearl indeed currently owns Barnes. You don’t have to like it, but it is what it is until Barnes figures out how to defend their style of offense. Bro.

Reactions: 08Vol
Barnes’s teams at Texas underperformed against Pearl.
Pearl indeed currently owns Barnes. You don’t have to like it, but it is what it is until Barnes figures out how to defend their style of offense. Bro.

Cool. And Barnes owns Cal. As a Tennessee owning UK's coach >>>>>>>> Auburn's coach and I DGAF it's Pearl.

Bro.

Only real recurring concern of mine is our inability to guard the 3. Same reason Auburn boatraced us in the SEC Champ two years ago. Seems like an easy enough blueprint to me. Just drive it or reverse and kick when we over-rotate and jack up the long ball. Curious as to how Barnes’ squads at Texas faired at defending the 3 and what correlation there is with that his struggle to make real noise in March.

Previous years this was truly a problem under Barnes led teams. Even in the 2018 season with Grant, Admiral and Bone it was one if our biggest weaknesses.

With that said, today was the first game we really left open a number of wide open 3s to the opposing team. I think the announcers did a good job of explaining it. We didn't allow many 3st the first half because we didn't give much help when Bama's guard kept driving the ball. We stayed on the perimeter, but Bama's guard kept beating his man, no matter who it was.

2nd half we panicked and started helping out alot. It backfired as Bana went really hot from the 3. I believe they cane out and immediately went 5/6...maybe better.

VN Store

Back